Sears Pointless 2017 - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Sears Pointless 2017

2000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wheels = the Team Dynamics wheels Gil sells.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    Thanks. It looks too nice to even work on. <SNIP>

I guess I am not too old, at 62, to lug my 4000 pounds share from truck to slab-site.
    The other side of the question is: What about the 3-4000 pounds of wet dirt that had go from the slab-site to (somewhere)?

I hired a couple of guys to haul the old stuff out and put new stuff in for my Wife's bath remodel, but I am about 10 years "wiser" than you!

New stuff is still TBD!

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We had to move only a thousand pounds or so of dirt. We did move 3,000 pounds of gravel today, and laid the rebar.

In other words, no progress today on the car. But at least when this is done I'll be able to drive the car out of the garage.

Mike
    guyopel likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Drivers should not do any of the paint or body work, it will slow down their track times!!! (Look at me I'm pretty .....)
    Car does look good.
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After a few days away I'm back to working on the car. So far just further cleaning after all the painting and other details. Masked and painted the rear black and started cleaning up the bumpers. Tomorrow the rear lights and other hardware will be back on the car.

I'm hoping I can take the car home early next week.

A few photos are attached.

Mike
    Red0ktober and John B like this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The small stuff takes forever.

Getting bent bumpers back on a car that is mostly not bent anymore was a pain, but now that's done plus the rear lights are in and working.

I mounted the repaired air dam today. The new mounting is strong and the reinforced air dam should be able to take a little more abuse. The extension, from a garden supply shop, would make us look racier if we'd paint it. (We will.)

I painted the rear quarter and rear window frames. They look much better, almost as if we had rubber in them.

Finally, I masked and measured and marked and remeasured, then waited for the courage to drill for the wing. Done. It's drilled. It feels like I committed a crime.

Photos from the day attached.

Mike

101st Airborne 1/327 Inf Site Supporter My location MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike,
    I know how you feel about drilling holes for the "wing"!
    Thomas

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We're back to work on the car. Eric is taking care of the air dam. It's ready for paint now. The car itself is done with paint and even got some McGuire's Glaze today. Oooh, very shiny. Installed the headlight buckets. What a pain, but they look nice. Installed the rear wing and fuel tank filler neck. This thing is almost done.

Mike
    kwschumm likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't believe how shiny the cars is. Maybe we should change our name to Team Shinyvette. I'm still not used to this, especially from Rust-Oleum.

I don't know what the life span of the roll bar padding is but we recently replaced our harness, and our padding was starting to feel really hard, and they broke easily when I pulled them off, so it was time to renew. Anyway, refreshed, after 7 years.

I'm still making slow progress on the final small stuff. Today it was mostly cleaning up the interior. I think I spoil my guys, and occasional gal.

LeMons sent out the reminder/event details letter today. I used it to update the team on our own logistics. Among those items were:

Arrivals
    I'll be at the track on Thursday evening and will set up in roughly the same location as before. Jon and Gabriel will be arriving on Friday with the motor home. Gary Murph will join us on Saturday. Eric wants to drive on test day so I expect to see him then. Kurt will join us on Friday. Kai will be in Hawaii, hatin' life because he couldn't be with us having fun.

Accommodations
    Jon will bring a motor home. We normally bed three people down in it, but there is room for more.

The Weather
    A storm is due Monday and long range forecasts say showers over the weekend. The car will have wipers, fresh tires, RainEx, etc. We'll have new pop-ups for shelter plus there is always the motor home.

Test Day
    The car will be available for testing and practice on Friday. I'll try to get it through tech early so the car will be available for the rest of the day. Cost for the day is $325/car. Eric wants to drive on Friday, so that's one person. If anyone else is interested bring your gear and some money to help split the costs.

Mike
    Last edited by m610; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:29 AM.
    guyopel, kwschumm and Red0ktober like this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I accomplished a lot yesterday, including 4 trips to the hardware store to get little bags of over-priced nuts and bolts. Today I went to Fastenal and bought bags of stainless nuts and washers for less that what I spent yesterday for a handful of the same. Anyway, things did get done. Fourth camera mounted, trim paint on the doors, rear deck back in, hood pins and hood back on the car, more interior work, many more little things too trivial to remember much less list. To-do includes Eric making cables for the hood pins (so we don't lose them any more), me putting the cool seat/fire extinguished hardware back in, finishing the brakes (Kurt will modify the push bar), interior door latch on passenger door (more welding for Kurt). I may even be able to put a few decals back on.

For the attached photos:
    1. I can't say enough for the support and encouragement Gil at Opel GT Source has given us for all these years of racing.
    2. That plate should get us out of the penalty box free, right?
    3. Rear-facing camera, so later we can watch the shenanigans going on behind us.

Mike
    Last edited by m610; 1 Week Ago at 05:21 PM.
    oliper likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your daily Tinyvette update - hood pins, hood fitment, wiper install put on hold when it became clear that the bar connecting left and right wipers was trying to saw through the battery and alternator cables, which would not be good. Also, tons of phone calls and emails, most related to next week's race, but two to what could possibly be a really big job opportunity. As if I needed a job. You know, 'cause I am a professional Opel racer.

Your daily photo attachment, a shiny new hood pin complete with wires to keep us from misplacing them. And no, they won't dangle and scratch the shiny new paint or get bent when we try to put the hood back on. How so? Magnets on the other side.

Another items, with my fancy new/used/good enough iPhone I'll be streaming the race live. I'll figure out the details, such as the link, later, but it will involve RaceCast.me.

Mike

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The car goes on the trailer in a couple of hours and will be back in Davis tonight. Tomorrow it gets new vinyl and Tuesday it gets tires. Somewhere in between it gets a valve adjustment. At that point we are ready to race and I need to switch from my crew chief role to my pit mom role and start gathering pit supplies.

We started the motor today and it is alive and feels and sounds good. One the other hand, compression and leak-down are warning of big trouble ahead, if not already here. Compression is in the 120 +/- range on all four cylinders and leak-down says the intake on #1 is leaking a little and rings on #2 not exactly a little.

I guess it is time to start start getting the blue motor ready.

At least the paint is pretty.

Mike

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We peeked inside #2.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    We peeked inside #2.
    Kinda reminds me of the commercials for a shampoo where you are wishing the camera would pan down just a single inch more.

(looks wet but that doesn't mean much if it wasn't just warmed up completely and shut off)

The valves look pretty dry.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We had run the engine for about 15 minutes before testing it. Spark plug #2 was moist.

We put some oil in that cylinder and leak tested a second time. Results improved and we could hear oil bubbling through the rings, so we figure it's rings. Thinking about it now, putting oil in any cylinder would improve results.

Downloads
    Uploads

Flashback

Mike, I looked at every pic in this thread today.
    Tinyvette is looking very good indeed. You will be tempted to drive too carefully.
    But all that cutting , grinding, fitting, welding, sanding, spraying, assembling, etc,......
    It was like 20 years of my life flashing before my eyes.

btw.. this thing about each decal adding 5 hp, ??
    I have 8 decals on Zooms Just Fine, including the 'Team Tinyvette'
    ....I should have over 100 hp now !!!
    m610 likes this.

Real Name
    LT
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slave driver

Roy you are making that 1.1 work for its thin diet!
    Man is the lowest cost Multi-purpose computing mechanism, capable of being mass produced by unskilled labor.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The weather for this weekend's race - https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:94954.4.99999

Got tires, sorted and cleaned tools, partially packed... actually got stuff done. Tomorrow, decals and more preparations.

I'll try to find the url for the site where you can watch us race live, streaming from an iPhone.

Mike

Photo for today, neckid race car in my carport.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm half packed and the car is half stickered. There's still a ton of work to do but I should be out of here around 5-6 PM.

I got a chance to test the live video. It looks pretty OK. I had to fab up a mount for the camera and get cables and stuff to keep it charged throughout the race. Should be fun.

The video will be hosted by RaceCast.me. I'm not sure you need to create an account or logon. Whether you do or not, click one of the little symbols in the upper left to select events, then select the race at Sonoma Raceway.

Photos: 1. iPhone view, what will be int eh live feed. 2. Getting decals applied.
    First opel 1981 likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Final pre-race email to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Sorry for the lack of updates so near race weekend. Here's my catch-up email.

The car came back to Davis on Monday night, bright and smooth and shiny. It looks really nice, which sucks in a way because now I can't just lay tools on the roof and fenders anymore.

The Corvette Racing shirts have arrived, but with people coming at odd times on Friday we won't be able to present a united front for tech and BS. Still, they'll be fun to have while wandering the paddock.

We have a new Corvette flag, thanks to Eric.

I got two pop-ups to replace the two we lost at Arse-Freeze.

Brakes are new. I just need to bed them in.

We reinforced the lower a-arms. That cost us $7.

Eric made us an extension for the air dam out of material he got in garden supply. Painted black, it looks great and should help nudge our lap times a little closer to 2 minutes.

The car is getting decals today and tomorrow.

The car got tires yesterday, four fresh ones for a potentially wet track. The tires we took off still had life in them so I kept them. We can use them this summer. BTW, the RT-615K's are no longer available. We've got RT-615k+'s. I guess the + means they are better. I know they cost more.

The brake pedal position has been improved. We'll see how much that helps.

The alternator/fan belt alignment has been improved. We'll still keep an eye on that belt, but we should have less trouble with it.

I'll deal with the oil pressure gauge tomorrow.

The engine is, well, not 100%. Remember I said I thought we finished the last race on 3 cylinders, an assessment I based on sound rather than loss of power, because the car ran great. I thought it could also be an exhaust leak and it turns out we did have an exhaust leak. Easily fixed. We also had compression in the range 118 - 135. Not that great. Pretty much bare minimum, actually. Also, leak tests show a valve leak in #1 intake and possibly, probably, rings in #2. Broken rings mean replacing the piston, which means an overhaul, which will have to wait. The leak in #1 might be able to be remedied by pulling the head and lapping valves. Is anyone up for doing that on Friday after tech? It's a 2-3 hour job when I do it alone. Option 2 is I bring the head from "Blue" and we swap it. Option 3 is we just run it as is and see what happens. I'm leaning towards option 1.

Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information