Opel GT Forum banner

DIY Opel Memorabilia. Try it just for fun.

5K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  kwschumm 
#1 ·
Well, I'm sure some will think I'm a little crazy, but sometimes I just like to do a small Opel craft project for the fun of it. I know there have been several that have spoke about getting the Opel Rock Auto magnet and I also have one coming to me, but here is a DIY fun easy project for anyone. Just take a photo of your Opel, print on glossy photo paper, then get some magnet sheets at the local craft store, and just mount the picture to it. You can do it as I did on a picture of my last truck I painted, or you could just make a magnet out of the whole picture. I cut around the perimeter of my truck picture to make the magnet. Make it whatever size you want. You could even customize it with photo shop and put your own wording on it. Over the years, I have saved a lot of the stickers you get at car shows and races and made magnets out of them and stick them to the inside of my garage door. If you don't like the garage door, I have several on my tool cabinets. It's easy, it's kinda calming to do, and you have your car on a magnet.
Another little project is personalizing a clock. My wife and I occasionally run into Goodwill stores to see what we find. I usually find clocks with pictures in them. I have reworked one that was made like a car tire and it turned out o.k. Today I did one for my grandson. I have another clock that I found that has a neon ring inside that I'm going to install a picture of my Opel GT. It is just so easy. Just take apart, choose your own picture, print and cut new picture to fit, assemble it back together and there you go. All the clocks that I found at Goodwill were normally priced $5, but I think I bought two of them on half price day. The one that was the "Cars" movie clock is for my grandson and cost me $2.50 for the clock and .50 to print the picture at the library. I chose the cartoon Opel GT because I thought it fit more to the type of clock face and he likes it.
Oh well, kinda simple and cheap, but may be fun for some of you. Maybe an idea for your grand kids, kids, or spouse to make you for Christmas. Doesn't hurt to have a Opel clock in your garage. If you get tired of the picture you can always go back and change to another one. The pictures of the "Cars"clock are one that I started with originally and then tried two different Opel GT prints. The tire clock was one I had done long ago, but believe I may change the picture in it. How about a Blitz emblem? Hope the pictures came out as I can't see how they appear on this posting. Oh well, have fun, don't be a hater.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Another Wood Carver?

Something I made.
Alex, are you a wood carver when you are not doing something to the Opel? As you may or may not know, I do wood carvings of birds and compete at our show in Sacramento. Never thought of doing a GT, now I want to do one. Looks really good, thanks for the idea and I will post a picture when mine is done, it is on the list to be done, but I have the grand kids project to go before getting to the GT. Made them a Noah's Ark three years ago and every birthday and Christmas they both get a pair of animals for the ark.

Alex, you might want to stop by the show we put on in Sacramento, it's at the Doubletree Hotel just off of Arden Way (your can see it just after the Cal Expo exit on Business 80)). Dates are July 22 & 23. I can even give you some free passes if you decide you want to check it out.

Bob

#4 · (Edited)
Last year my Sports Cars Club here in the Hudson Valley had there annual International Cook off Contest, It was orginally a Chili Contest, than they added main entries, Baking goodies, and recently added Home made craft Beer and wine.

I came with my famous Scalloped Potatoes with Canadian smoke Bacon was with the Opel Blitz in the center..was a big hit...got me a gift cert. for a meal at local Pub.
It came out awesome and enjoyed by all...( also am the only Opel Owner in a primarily ""All"" British sports car club)

Also here a Real Good puzzle of a Opel GT, Print it out and see if you can assembly .... you'll need to have real patience for this one, and some good contact cement "" Do it Your Self """ DIY :veryhappy
(Maybe a good challenge for Norbert :cool3:) not sure where I got it from...maybe OGTS,

Also my fridge and file cabinets are covered with goofy old memorabilia too.

Attachments

#14 ·
Also here a Real Good puzzle of a Opel GT, Print it out and see if you can assembly .... you'll need to have real patience for this one, and some good contact cement "" Do it Your Self """ DIY :veryhappy
(Maybe a good challenge for Norbert :cool3:) not sure where I got it from...maybe OGTS,
Not my level at all:no:
But I know one,who can use it for round kitchen windows:haha:

#5 ·
Very nice !

One of the guys in the TR6 club made this very cool wall clock using an old red line tire, I have the original spare from 1974 from my car which I plan to use for the same purpose

I love it when people come up with stuff like this instead of just throwing things away and paying too much money for mass produced novelty stuff

Attachments

#8 ·
Well, I'm sure some will think I'm a little crazy, but sometimes I just like to do a small Opel craft project for the fun of it. .... Oh well, have fun, don't be a hater.
Gabe,
No, not a hater at all, but you still might want to spell that mystical creature as an "Ogre" and not an "Oger"... just sayin'
Dieter

#19 ·
Another DIY project on the cheap side.

I've been watching Youtube again and found a good video on DIY silk screening T-shirts. I kinda scribble around from time to time and thought I'd work on a couple of t-shirt designs to try out. One for the front of the t-shirt and one for the back of t-shirt. Not quite ready yet and still working on them, but here's a rough draft. I like the old style Dave Deal cartoon cars, so my GT is a cartoon GT. I know there are some professional silk screen people on here but I'm only trying this at home as an amateur. Again, just having fun with the little cars.

Attachments

#22 ·
I like the old style Dave Deal cartoon cars, so my GT is a cartoon GT.
@ Gabe G;
I actually got in contact with Dave Deal, back when he was alive, and asked him how much to do a montage of the basic Opels, Manta, Ascona, GT, and Kadett in his style, and actually it wasn't that bad of a quote, I just didn't have the money right then.

#20 ·
Alex, just reread your post and you made the GT out of maple? Good lord that is almost like trying to carve solid rock. If you want to try something a little easier to carve, try basswood, or jelutong. So much easier on the knives and the creative genius inside everyone.

Mine is going to be made out of either one of the ones mentioned above. Don't know when I will get to it. have to carve four animals for the arc and finish rewiring the GT before Christmas. Time goes by fast when you are retired.

Bob

#23 ·
Yup. Maple.
I have a lot of small scrap pieces of it, which is why that was my material of choice.
I use power tools for almost every step of the process, so I suppose it's not so bad. My band saw blade is very dull right now and is long overdue for a change though.
In the middle of a cut I can see sparks going through the bottom of the maple.

#26 ·
In memory of those rusted Opels that are gone, but not forgotten.

This takes Opel memorabilia maybe to an extreme, but I had an Opel that was to far gone with rust, so I cut it up and saved what I could. Anyways, I thought this rear panel would be a neat garage wall hanging art project with all lights working and turn signals blinking to remember those Opels that will never run the roads again. :no:
I tried to load the video so you could see the lights blinking and etc., but didn't figure it out, so here's a picture. This is a full size rear end from the GT that went to the scrap yard. The bumpers were so rusted that I covered them with chrome wrap to try to make them look somewhat better. Paint was some old Admiral blue metallic that I had for a while and some cheap Walmart white spray paint. I ordered the make it yourself tag through the internet. It's not slick. It's kinda rough where I barely sanded it, but kinda neat on the wall. Really looks cool at night. Now to get back to work on my GT for next Carlisle. I do plan to find a couple of old muffler tips sometime to mount below it. Hope you folks like the project.

Attachments

#30 ·
This takes Opel memorabilia maybe to an extreme, but I had an Opel that was to far gone with rust, so I cut it up and saved what I could. Anyways, I thought this rear panel would be a neat garage wall hanging art project with all lights working and turn signals blinking to remember those Opels that will never run the roads again. :no:
I tried to load the video so you could see the lights blinking and etc., but didn't figure it out, so here's a picture. This is a full size rear end from the GT that went to the scrap yard. The bumpers were so rusted that I covered them with chrome wrap to try to make them look somewhat better. Paint was some old Admiral blue metallic that I had for a while and some cheap Walmart white spray paint. I ordered the make it yourself tag through the internet. It's not slick. It's kinda rough where I barely sanded it, but kinda neat on the wall. Really looks cool at night. Now to get back to work on my GT for next Carlisle. I do plan to find a couple of old muffler tips sometime to mount below it. Hope you folks like the project.

Forget the exhaust tips, a couple of beer taps would be much better. Really nice work.:beerchug:

#28 ·
Front nose??

Actually already thought about it, but I have to now stay focused on getting my real GT completed first. It might look cool to mount from bumper forward with the parking lights on and fog lights flashing and a Knight Rider type red light flashing from side to side behind the front screen. It might stick out to far with headlight buckets. Oh well, l have to get back to work on my GT now. Thanks for the video idea, but I've never posted anything on Youtube, and probably not many people interested in this type of art. Glad you liked it. Here's the picture of the donor. So sad to see it go, but at least a part of it remains. :lmao:

Attachments

#31 ·
Blitz emblem project on the cheap side.

O.K. I was with the wife at Goodwill the other day and saw these circular mirrors. Actually they were circular mirrors, but I saw Blitz symbols. :veryhappy I think it was half price day so I got a couple for about 75 cents. There was a much larger one, but I just didn't think the flash in the middle would look right with the width of the circle, so I stuck with the smaller two. All I had to do was to cut a center piece out of some scrap wood and attach to the circle. I've looked for the larger Blitz symbols on Ebay to hang in my garage, but no luck, so this is the next best thing and it was super cheap. I could put the mirrors back in, or paint inside the circle a different color. The options are endless. I could possibly cut the outer circle out of a larger circular mirror and cover the circle with mirror and also the flash, and just paint the back side. It seems also very simple to put a light strip in the back and make it light up on the wall. Well anyways, hope you like it and I'm sure many of you have made something similar. Can't beat Gordon's on the outside of his garage, but I bet this was a little cheaper. :haha: The last picture is of the two mirrors and one of them is the Blitz emblem I made in primer until I can decide what to paint it. May just get some chrome like paint today to finish. Hope this gives someone ideas. Show us your homemade Blitz.:D

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
O.K. I was with the wife at Goodwill the other day and saw these circular mirrors. Actually they were circular mirrors, but I saw Blitz symbols. :veryhappy I think it was half price day so I got a couple for about 75 cents. There was a much larger one, but I just didn't think the flash in the middle would look right with the width of the circle, so I stuck with the smaller two. All I had to do was to cut a center piece out of some scrap wood and attach to the circle. I've looked for the larger Blitz symbols on Ebay to hang in my garage, but no luck, so this is the next best thing and it was super cheap. I could put the mirrors back in, or paint inside the circle a different color. The options are endless. I could possibly cut the outer circle out of a larger circular mirror and cover the circle with mirror and also the flash, and just paint the back side. It seems also very simple to put a light strip in the back and make it light up on the wall. Well anyways, hope you like it and I'm sure many of you have made something similar. Can't beat Gordon's on the outside of his garage, but I bet this was a little cheaper. :haha: The last picture is of the two mirrors and one of them is the Blitz emblem I made in primer until I can decide what to paint it. May just get some chrome like paint today to finish. Hope this gives someone ideas. Show us your homemade Blitz.:D

Just put the mirror on the table and the blitz on top and post a couple of pics! It sounds like I would like it (especially with the lighting)! :yup:

Doug

#35 ·
Warning: No OPEL content (yet)

My friendly cardiologist "recommended" that I walk 30-45 minutes a day, 5-7 days a week. No jogging, just walk fast enough to raise the heartbeat a bit and hold it there. OK, that was 5+ years ago and I live in an area outside of town where some of the roads cease to exist if you cross the road. 45 minutes for me is about 2 miles so 1 mile out and 1 back, usually in a rectangular pattern. What all this means is that I am getting bored out of my mind with 300 +/- walks within a mile of my house. Except for an occasional rattlesnake it is same old, same old. About a week ago I saw a hubcap on the side of the road so I picked it and examined it. From a newer Cadillac, 7 of the 8 "fingers" which hold the cap to the rim were broken off so no point putting it out where the original owner might see it and retrieve it. I took it home (Honey, it followed me home, can I keep it?) 3-4 days later a similar situation with a heavy duty Ford truck (8 lug wheel) 'cap. All 8 of the collars used to hold the cap in place were broken and there is a break on one side (I kept it)! Today I decided that my new collection was officially started! I cleaned the Cadillac cap, found the Caddy emblem paint scheme on line and painted the first color, RED! Black, yellow, and blue to come as I feel the need. Attached is a photo of the #1 piece of my Collection of Road Art - Found on the Road Dead! Aren't you glad you read this! :yup: ...:no: ...:lmao: -=- Doug

Attachments

#36 ·
I used to walk a lot but now the orthopedic guy says my walking for exercise days are over due to bad knees. Used to find something interesting along the way, the best find was a $50 bill. Found some flash sticks but there's no way I'm sticking those in my pc. Old hats, the occasional shoe, and lots of trash.

Now I use a recumbent bike. Walking outdoors was a lot more interesting but putting a TV in front of the bike helped a lot. Usually stream Top Gear (old version) or Jay Leno's garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.