Opel Projects 2017
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Opel Projects 2017

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel Projects 2017

This is my sort of annual thread where I ask you to tell us about your Winter Opel or other projects and plans for the coming year ahead.

For you cold regioners, what has kept you from climbing the walls due to cabin fever?

You warmlanders can give us more of your usual smug stories about how you drove your Opels to the beach and watched bikini girls play volleyball.

Lots of you guys seem to have bought new engines from Charlie and elsewhere, let's hear how you're progressing.

Will any of you be debutting your finished restoration this Spring?

How about you racer guys? Let's hear some of your hopelessly optimistic plans to pull off 7sec 1/4 miles and take multiple checkered flags in dirt track or LeMons races.

And let's even hear from you couch potatos who don't plan on doing a dang thing to your Opel this Winter or this year. What's on TV? Read any good books lately? How's your recliner doing, think it will make it through another year?

Gordo's Winter to-do list:

Fix radio antenna - There was nothing wrong with it's hook up, the blade-type electric antenna just wouldn't work mounted low on the windshield, just above the dash. I had to reroute it so that it mounted behind the rear view mirror to get it to pick up signals decently.
    Redo side rear windows - Round window idea: Vetoed by you guys. I installed pop out window glass with louvers and edging directly onto the body.
    Rebuild steering rack - All new bushings and widgets.
    Strengthen/refurbish front suspension - All new ball joints and rubber bushings. Installed A-arm gussets and a custom arm-stiffening low-mounted sway bar mount. Yellow/red powdercoat.
    Increase caster to try to fix steering squirreliness due to high offset wheels - Duh, the washers were in the oem configuration. Swapped them and the problem seems to be fixed or greatly dininished.
    Install time machine - Plasma plates and a flux capacitor.
    Redo rear upholstery - Made gator skin cover panels for the areas I wanted to improve.
    Flip my upside down headlights - Flipped'em.
    Redo wing attachment and finish - Next on the list.........
    Install new chromy Steinmetz offset intake - Also, next on the list......
    2nd try at electric windows - in progress......

Early Spring projects:

Re-calibrate fuel gauge
    Install Norbert's trailer hitch reinforcement
    Try out smaller 40DCOE carb to see if it performs as good or better and uses less fuel - after Carlisle

As far as driving plans, last year I hit the car show circuit pretty frequently. I refused to work on the car during the driving months and, so, kept a tally of enhancements, problems, and stuff I wanted to fine tune. I've worked on that stuff over this Winter. I really liked the car around town, but long drives were tiresome due to the squirrely steering on long straight highways. I was also pretty cautious with the length of my drives because I needed to build up confidence in my newly built, massively modified, car, after some early set backs due to a poorly venting gas tank and a broken alternator bracket. As of right now, I'm pretty confident in the car and I figure I can drive anywhere without fear of breakdown. Car shows? Yeah, I'll do a bunch, but I think I'll try some more destination drives, mostly out of State. There's more giant roadside statues to take pics of my car in front of. I've taken a break from the ladies these past few years, so maybe I'll dip my toe into that quagmire. Nah. I think I'll get a dog instead! A nice pomeranian, perhaps.

What's going on with you guys?

Bbutler787 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

2000 Post Club Site Supporter My location P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are several projects that I was lazy to start but the other night at Chinese restaurant, I got encouraging message in the fortune cookie, so I will start immediately.

Edited:

O.K. here are some projects:
    - Install heat wrap on the header (done)
    - Make new stronger one-piece alternator bracket (my alternator is on the passenger side, AC compressor is where alternator used to be). (done)
    - Install device for intermittent wiper (ongoing)
    - Install USB port in the glove box (if I push myself to remove an instrument panel).
    - Improve and replace Honda window lifter on the passenger side (ongoing, looking good).
    - Remove front sway bar brackets on the control arms, modify sway bar and attach it to the control arms with shock absorber bolts (thanks RB for the idea!).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P.J. Romano; 01-30-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    The Scifi Guy and John B like this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2017 is finally getting my Sportwagon back on the road. The motor has been rebuilt, I have the induction system from the manifold all the way out to a RB custom made, one off, airfilter. This is a SSD with 40 DCOE Weber. Right now I'm just waiting to order the new clutch and the whole mess can be dropped back in.....can't wait!!!
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter My location RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I plan to go to my storage unit at least twice this year, and stare at all my untouched projects and tools.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10
    E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10. Rest in peace big guy...

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Sportwagon, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Bruce
    Downloads
    Uploads

Winter projects

My kadett Caravan needs a new head gasket to stop the oil leak from the front. It's also in need of a rear main seal, as it constantly leaves a puddle in the garage after a night out on the town. So, I'm planning on pulling the engine in March and do a reseal of the whole motor. Other than that, the Kadett is ready for the car show season.
    The GT is Another story. I can hear the camshaft bouncing in the head as I drive to work, so it needs to come out and be rebearinged. But I have a 1971, four cam bearing head just waiting to be installed. And the current engine leaks everywhere, and I have some OGTS oversized pistons and rings, and the engine bay needs refreshing. Golly, I think I'll just overhaul it after I get the Kadett engine done. Hopefully, all this will happen in March and April. Shooting for the first car show in Wichita around the end of April.
    And like Gordo, I'm attempting to install power windows in the GT. I'm too old to be reaching over and cranking while driving:-)). Hope to have the windows working this coming month. Lots of issues on the coversion though. I want it to look factory so I'm using the original window crank handles for the switches and hiding the crossover wiring on the upper door hinge. That's a work in progress thing.
    Now on to Kadett surgery.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Waiting for OGT Source new radiator, new exhaust and a few minor touches to the car . Hope to push it out of the shop in April and get it running and tuned up. 5 years of work I am ready to drive.
    Ken

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Opel work has been in storage while fighting Thurston County and US Fish & Wildlife property thieves for the right to build a shop. Looks like MAYBE that will happen this year.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

2000 Post Club My location m610's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Partial list:

1. Find and install Isuzu diff.
    2. Rear disc brakes for the Tinyvette.
    3. Prepare the spare race motor.
    4. Assemble, run, then sell the pretty 2.0L motor and the stock 1.9L motor as ready-to-install-and-run.
    5. Replace the Tinyvette's aging camera system.
    6. Race.
    7. Race some more.
    8. Be in all six west coast LeMons races, preferably with the Tinyvette, without if necessary.
    9. Show at "Legends of the Autobahn" and "Concours d'LeMons" in Monterey and lurk at the "American Grafitti" car show in Petaluma (This show is for American cars only. Will park as close to the show as possible.)
    10. Organize the LeMons exhibit for the Sacramento International Auto Show, again.
    11. Finish my Tinyvette book.
    12. Lose another 30 pounds.

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbutler787 View Post
    My kadett Caravan needs a new head gasket to stop the oil leak from the front. It's also in need of a rear main seal, as it constantly leaves a puddle in the garage after a night out on the town. So, I'm planning on pulling the engine in March and do a reseal of the whole motor. Other than that, the Kadett is ready for the car show season.
    The GT is Another story. I can hear the camshaft bouncing in the head as I drive to work, so it needs to come out and be rebearinged. But I have a 1971, four cam bearing head just waiting to be installed. And the current engine leaks everywhere, and I have some OGTS oversized pistons and rings, and the engine bay needs refreshing. Golly, I think I'll just overhaul it after I get the Kadett engine done. Hopefully, all this will happen in March and April. Shooting for the first car show in Wichita around the end of April.
    And like Gordo, I'm attempting to install power windows in the GT. I'm too old to be reaching over and cranking while driving:-)). Hope to have the windows working this coming month. Lots of issues on the coversion though. I want it to look factory so I'm using the original window crank handles for the switches and hiding the crossover wiring on the upper door hinge. That's a work in progress thing.
    Now on to Kadett surgery.
    got a new standard hydraulic 2.0 cam if your interested, pm me Nick

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an easy winter. Added F & R torsion bar sway bars and Built a new high performance Zetec motor which should put out around 170 to 180 HP. But since my stock motor has plenty of power and runs perfect I don't plan to install the new motor until I retire and have the time to rotisserie the car.
    71 GT, Ford 2.0 Zetec, Jenvey throttle bodies, Omex engine management. Subaru 6 speed transmission , Ford 7.5 4.10 posi narrowed torque arm rear end. Coilover front end. Electric power steering. Honda Accord 4 wheel discs. In dash Vintage Air, Dakota Digital gauges. Power windows. Keyless entry. Cruise.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's no such thing as A project on an Opel.

You get started on one and another pops up that you want to do.

My only must-do project is to get the 2.2 on the road. I've put it off WAY too much. Shouldn't take more than a couple days but there's always something that comes up a little more pressing.

If I CAN get to other stuff (and I will), I want to rebuild the front suspension on Blue. Add the sway bars. Add the OGTS brake package (bought a year ago), add my rear disk brake setup (have all the components except hoses and regulator), get it running good, find and fix the noise that seems to come from the differential.
    If I get all that, then maybe I can get the real stuff done. All depends on the weather and how anal my HOA is this season.
    charlie1966 and The Scifi Guy like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Senior Member My location tealcarver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the only project is to finish wiring the GT. After that, everything is done, and that, I am going to just drive and enjoy it. It seems that this rewiring job has take way too long, but that's because I am not a very good electrician. I think I have checked every circuit about 5 times as I don't want to have to do any of this over again. I changed all the marker lights, turn signals, brake lights, interior lights, and parking lights to LED, I could say that slowed me down, but I would be lying. I have vowed that this is the last project I need to have a dependable GT, so after this is done, no more winter projects, maybe another wax job, but nothing else.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 01-29-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    install my Goin manta rebuilt Irmscher fuel injection and chromed intake on my PJ Romano built 2.4

and then actually drive an opel.

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My to do list is fairly short for my Gt this year. This winter I was planning to rebuild the front suspension but that will probably wait until next year. I need to find out what the heck is clunking under the car when I go over a small bump. This just started on the way back from a day trip to a local park last October. I'm thinking the ol' torque tube may need some attention, or maybe its just the extra clutch cable bouncing around I keep back with the spare tire.

Other then that, mine is ready to go. I may tinker with a 38/38 weber that would need rebuilt & re-jetted. Even though the GT runs really well the highly re-jetted 32/26, I think it would be happier with a 38.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    My Opel work has been in storage while fighting Thurston County and US Fish & Wildlife property thieves for the right to build a shop. Looks like MAYBE that will happen this year.
    I use your example every time people talk about "saving the environment". The EPA has gotten a little out of hand in so many ways. Yours is a classic example. I heard another, a long time ago, where a freeway had to be diverted because of something like a rare fungus or worm or something.

Gophers? Seriously?
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Super Moderator My location Ooooner's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roy Bell
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I "plan" on working on the front suspension on my 69 GT by lowering 1" and installing some poly bushings. May do some brake work, too! I have a new carpet kit and matts to go inside so will probably do that, too. Just needs to updating!
    Roy Bell
    1969 Opel GT (Switzerland)
    1973 Opel GT
    1972 Opel 1900 Wagon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Carolina Opel Club

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    ... I heard another, a long time ago, where a freeway had to be diverted because of something like a rare fungus or worm or something.

Gophers? Seriously?
    That's like I-95 through Providence/Pawtucket, RI. The original design back in the '50's would have taken two exclusive "Men's Clubs" away. Their members were also the local power brokers who had the influence to get path redesigned.

The redesign created the notorious Thurbers Ave. curve in Providence where there have been well over a hundred rollover accidents with many deaths over the years. In Pawtucket, a tight "S" curve saved their club but left travelers negotiating the equivalent of a road course on an interstate highway.

There is no way the Interstate Highway system could have been built today.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I use your example every time people talk about "saving the environment". The EPA has gotten a little out of hand in so many ways. Yours is a classic example. I heard another, a long time ago, where a freeway had to be diverted because of something like a rare fungus or worm or something.

Gophers? Seriously?
    The only way I can build a shop is by selling our house and moving out of gopher land.

So I bought a piece of view property at the top of a mountain where there are no gopher soils according to county topographical records. This is a 16 unit large lot development that was platted out in 1993 but the owner never built on it. Already has power and water. The county wanted TWO years to inspect for gophers anyway. My builder friend knew someone at the county and got them to send a biologist out after 8 months. The biologist went out, looked around, and said "Why am I here? There are no gophers in this area!". That was step one.

Step two is that the county wants us to build the house at the bottom of the property instead of on the ridge, apparently so the septic field would have a view. That would have us pumping sewage UP 300 feet to the septic field because there isn't enough room for a house and septic field below. Fortunately we can't do that because critical slope setbacks combined with CC&R setbacks don't leave room for a house.

Step three is that the county wants us to put in rainwater retention. Don't quite understand this, it's a MOUNTAIN and all the rainwater runs off the sides to natural streams. But, OK, we'll put in some dry wells.

Step four is their "impervious surface" restriction. If the property was LESS than 5 acres they would only allow 10,000 sf of space for driveway, home and shop footprint. With the 900 foot driveway we need about 24,000 sf of space for everything. They tried hard to find a way to make it less than 5 acres but there's no way around it, we paid surveyors to come out and prove it is exactly 5 acres. Thankfully it wasn't 4.999 acres.

Still waiting for step five. If my fiancee didn't have to live in Thurston county to teach we'd be gone in an instant.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Just Some Dude in Jersey My location The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to think outside the box or, rather, above the box. They don't want you to build on top of the gophers, so build upwards on top of your existing house:

460a06c1cd4931bbd1723f534ff9e75e.jpg

Or get yourself a nice place by the sea where there's absolutely no chance of gophers and drainage issues are non-existant:

jennaandjulie.jpg

rrossjr and kwschumm like this.

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter My location rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And let's even hear from you couch potatos who don't plan on doing a dang thing to your Opel this Winter or this year.
    Why mess with perfection?
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy

(Actually, I wouldn't mind a new windshield, but definitely not a winter project. Unheated garage and Indiana winter don't mix well. )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information