Opel Paint Codes - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opel Paint Codes

Real Name
    Sam Weldon
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you guys so much for finding this info.

So if I went to my paint shop with the Ditzler code "#DQE-44034" they could mix the right color? Or would that code be for a type of paint not used anymore?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Ditzler code for Signal Blue was pretty much useless for the PPG paint shop I used when I recently had my Manta painted. The painter had a PPG rep come out and analyze the paint in an area of the trunk where the paint was still like new. The color match came out very good.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

1000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyNutZ View Post
    Thank you guys so much for finding this info.

So if I went to my paint shop with the Ditzler code "#DQE-44034" they could mix the right color? Or would that code be for a type of paint not used anymore?
    If you are trying to reproduce the original paint color by the original paint manufacturer, then I suggest approaching your local auto paint distributor and asking them to research that code number for that manufacturer.

There are other options too. The referenced factory bulletins also include breakdowns of what proportion of various "primary" colors, combine to make up that specific paint mixture. Using that data, it might be possible to reverse-engineer that formula, although consideration should be given as to whether actual components of paint blends (ie oil base vs. water base, and other chamicals) have changed since their original publication over 35 years ago.

Another option is to research the availability of colors using the factory-provided codes for the Dupont and Rinshed-Mason paint manufacturers.

Another option, would be to research the paint books of alternate German suppliers like BASF/Glazerot, or to consider a European-blend acrylic paint finish instead of the US-export enamel.

Whichever approach is best for you, should be determined in consultation with the automotive paint professional of your choosing.
    Last edited by Anonymous D; 06-18-2009 at 07:41 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler My location
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interior color

Since my paint code is L411 702, my exterior paint is ralleye gold, but I don't see a chart for the interior color. In my search, I saw that a light tan was used with the gold, and, I ordered a headliner thinking that was the color .. wasn't. My head liner is more like a light gold. Any help appreciated.
    David

Southern Red Neck My location BQS4's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as what interior color went with what exterior color, the only charts I have seen are the actual dealer brochures. The only model Opel I can think of that had a specific interior/exterior combo was the Manta Luxus. The dark and light blue Luxus had the dark blue interior, the maroon Luxus had the maroon interior, and the silver/gray Luxus had either the maroon or the silver/gray interior. Other than that, Opel really played around with the interior/exterior color combos.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Opeler My location
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interior color code

It would seem that someone would have a chart designating the colors since they put the code number on the manufacturing plate .. 702 has to mean something even if it's a mix/match situation ..
    David

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Real Name
    Dale Chilton Sr.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ralley Gold Paint

My paint code is 411 Your right the color chip is not very close to my car. Does this mean when they mix the color is it going to be like my car or like the color chip.
    Thanks
    Dale Jr.

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sullivan View Post
    Those of you who have painted your own GT's, what quantity of paint did you end up using? (Seems lots of colors are pretty pricey of late)
    Thanks.
    I bought two quarts of paint 50/50 mix 1 gal of spray able.... Painted the engine bay, inside belly pan, inside head light buckets 3 coats and used almost half. Bought another quart.... back to 1 gallon spray able, sprayed 3 coats and had about 1 quart mixed left.

Hope that helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    l ID Plate. How does the color/interior info translate out? I thought there would be 2 Letter paint codes such as CC, TT, or ZZ in the lower left box of the tag

Also, in the service manuals for 1969 and 1970 models they show the vin for a GT starting with a "93", not a "94". This one clearly starts with a 94.

Did a further search and found the 93 is for 1.1 and the 94 designates a 1.9 GT. That's cleared up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gordy; 07-22-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Was at the body shop and did some sanding on the GT today. The shop owner ran the 16 thru Dupont site and it is called Citrus Yellow for the 1970 GT. (maybe they did not know how to spell Chartreuse?) Also took the factory sales manual up and compared the full page color samples to the interior of the car. Definitely Chartreuse (color ZZ) in the manual.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've cleaned up and closed this thread to keep it as a Technical Resource, and copied it to:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2d-body...ml#post1150225

for general questions. If you wish to add technical information to this thread, please ask a Moderator to open it for you to do that.
    Keith Wilford
    I'm back consulting, but full time now, so I have less time but more money to work on my bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information