Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Attention - Password and Security Update

Sick with Opelitus My location broszzy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've emailed for weeks, It's like talking to the frickin wall. No responses for days, weeks, they don't read your emails. This site has gone to hell as far as I'm concerned.
    That looks like it was made for it. Come to think of it, it was made for it!

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
    Geddy Lee/Neil Peart

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Problems

So why suddenly has
    1) this site stopped recognizing my saved name and password?
    2) I get a warning message telling me this site is not secure?
    using windows 10 and Firefox
    TMK

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tomking View Post
    So why suddenly has
    Windows 10... and Firefox.

(May or may not be a joke)

Windows 10 is VERY "precautious". Some ads may link to a site that Microsoft has determined to be a problem, thus considering the referral site to be a problem. It's happened to me on other sites.
    Having said that, of you don't have an ad blocker, that might be why you are just now getting issues.
    Or it could be something else entirely.

P.S. I absolutely HATE Windows 10.
    guyopel likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So why suddenly has
    Many of us have been saying this for quite a while. Yes, this sites login pages (and ALL of VerticalScope Inc web sites I have ever been on) are un-secure and as a matter of fact a LOT of sites in general. Best and safest way to protect yourself is to not do any financial business online, but hey thats just me

Firefox gives info here https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote...fox/ta-p/27861

As I have said before, there is nothing here that I am worried about, I do NO business nor have any private info here that can be used to cause me harm financially or otherwise, and if they choose not to keep their site secure and something happens because my login info is stolen because of THEIR un-secure pages and something happens to their site, it's on THEM, not me.

Oh and I do not use Win 10 and never will, when it gets to the point that I have no other choice, I will crush my PC and melt it with a cutting torch and drop off-line forever. Win 10 IS Microsoft spyware.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Downloads
    Uploads

re.problems

So why suddenly has
    The gap in security your browser is pointing out is common on most sites, but Google/firefox has decided to start highlighting it now. It's telling you that the site is vulnerable to a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle), where someone intercepts what you are typing on the site. Since everything you type here is view-able to all, this has never been a thing it made sense to protect against. As long as you aren't typing your password into a thread in plain text, or your bank info, this doesn't affect you.

All that said, we are going to be upgrade all our network over the coming months to HTTPS to make our pages secure.

Niall
    guyopel likes this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

AdMin

This is a poorly administered board. Not talking about our moderators, but administrators. I have been locked out for several days and little help, little response. So I registered with a secondary email address.
    Tom King, member since 2002

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tkingmo View Post
    This is a poorly administered board. Not talking about our moderators, but administrators. I have been locked out for several days and little help, little response. So I registered with a secondary email address.
    I am sorry to hear that you are having problems logging in Tom. I am also sorry to say that the Moderators (or at least this Moderator) don't have password re-set permissions. Did you try the password re-set link:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/login.php?do=lostpw

The AutoGuide folks should be able to re-set your original ID password and merge your old and new member ID's, so that nothing is lost. Just follow the instructions above, and let us know if you have any further problems.

Another member, Alex Zaychenko (I don't know his OGT.com username), messaged me via Facebook to ask to have his password re-set, so I'll pass his info on to AutoGuide when I receive it.

HTH
    Last edited by kwilford; 05-14-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Ooooner likes this.
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tom, I checked and all looks normal with your account. i just emailed a new password to you.

Keith and the other mods - I am able to reset passwords and access member accounts.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Tom, I checked and all looks normal with your account. i just emailed a new password to you.

Keith and the other mods - I am able to reset passwords and access member accounts.
    Gary I had received one email from an admin. but the password he provided did not work. He then didnt respond to subsequent communications from me. thanks
    Gary likes this.
    TMK

OpelGT.com Übermoderator My location kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gary I had received one email from an admin. but the password he provided did not work. He then didn't respond to subsequent communications from me. thanks
    Tom, had you tried the "forgot password" link? I mentioned that to Alex and he was able to re-set his.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I knew that Gary, but we shouldn't be having to trouble you for something as simple as a password re-set. When I go in to the Mod page Control Panel Home, I can "see" his account, and I can "Force New Password - If yes, this forces the user to change their password the next time they visit the forum." (which is less than useful if the member doesn't remember his password) , but I don't see an option to re-set a password. Am I just not seeing something that is actually there?

If the AG Admin folks continue to be less available than would be ideal, it seems that the Moderators could take on some of the tasks. We already have significant powers, such as invoking penalties and banning members, so the re-set password function seems pretty tame. JM2CW
    Last edited by kwilford; 05-14-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Keith Wilford
    Working on the bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT, and may have another GT to build next...

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    but I don't see an option to re-set a password. Am I just not seeing something that is actually there?
    That option might be only open in the Admin Control Panel.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.
    www.alt-opel.us
    @opelgary

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Tom, had you tried the "forgot password" link? I mentioned that to Alex and he was able to re-set his.

I knew that Gary, but we shouldn't be having to trouble you for something as simple as a password re-set. When I go in to the Mod page Control Panel Home, I can "see" his account, and I can "Force New Password - If yes, this forces the user to change their password the next time they visit the forum." (which is less than useful if the member doesn't remember his password) , but I don't see an option to re-set a password. Am I just not seeing something that is actually there?

If the AG Admin folks continue to be less available than would be ideal, it seems that the Moderators could take on some of the tasks. We already have significant powers, such as invoking penalties and banning members, so the re-set password function seems pretty tame. JM2CW
    I dont recall Keith. I think I just gave up and registered under another name when the admin went silent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont recall Keith. I think I just gave up and registered under another name when the admin went silent.
    Hey there,

Please PM this account with your previous Username, the email attached to it and which username and email address you would like to keep.
    We can merge your accounts and set you up with an account.

Richard.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information