Week End Wrap Up Two Weeks before the Opel OctoberFeast 10/25/14 - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Week End Wrap Up Two Weeks before the Opel OctoberFeast 10/25/14

7,000 Post Club My location wrench459's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Buick engines has a similar oil pump.
    The high volume kit includes a spacer plate along with the taller gear set.
    high-volume-kit

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary

Hi Gary,

How does this make this high volume was your question. I suppose a direct answer would be that all of the pressure made from the gears actually goes into the engine. All the plastic button pumps out there are bypassing and cavitating on a daily basis. Our point is that they can't be trusted and that is the point we are trying to get out to the customers.

We drive our 1900 Wagon to Vegas and such and it just has an idiot light like most of these cars. I don't want a plastic, easily worn part, in our pump or for that matter in our customers. So many GTs are running out there with just one to two bar maximum.
    That translates to about `14 to 30 pounds ish at best. Half the customers are running around like that. How long do you think their engines will last?

This is our solution to a constant problem plaguing all of us Opel owners. Our point was go with this system and have an average of 48 to 56 pounds of oil pressure, constantly without the possibility of failing.

Perhaps one more paragraph. The term "High Volume Oil Pump" has been used by us in our shop for the last 32 years. No one has ever questioned it before. But with all the Opel Gurus on this site, perhaps I should conceed to name it differently. Perhaps the "Constant Volume Oil Pump" or even the "Consistent Volume Oil Pump", perhaps a better name to be used out here.

There is the existence of that huge iron bottom extended gear diesel pump. Although so rare we have only seen it once or twice. We need something that works well for everybody that doesn't cost a bunch of money, lives up to our current motto and that we can create and sell 10 of these every month. That is where we are coming from on this newest creation from us. We hope this answers all your questions.
    Gary likes this.

Über Genius My location First opel 1981's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OpelsUnlimited View Post
    We hope this answers all your questions.
    It doesn't answer my question. WHat is the material that is used on the pump cover?

It also creates a couple more questions.

You say that the stock covers with the pressure regulator causes cavitation on a daily basis? How did you come to this conclusion?

If the flat, no regulator, cover doesn't regulate pressure, what is the pressure at 6000 RPM?

What data did you access to declare that half of the Opel drivers have 14-30 lbs at best of pressure?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    nickincrete likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Jay

Hi Jay,

To answer your question - the original plate, as well as our new improvement are both made from aluminum. However the original was caste, complete with all the little lines and the look of cracks etc. Ours is not caste but rather smooth and easily polished. Also the overall design is thicker and stronger. The new design allows you to reuse the heavy iron gears that are pretty bullet proof. After 45 years plus the aluminum plate typically shows wear. Also a good reason for us to make new plates. That many years is a long run. This will certainly do the trick and fix everybody up inexpensively.

Since we have this hand built and machined and all we could have used steel or heavy iron materials as well. We pictured the possibility of two heavy iron materials grinding at each other creating friction and heat causing a galling affect. That would be a mistake on our part that could possibly cause a seizing affect. So we chose the modern machined aluminum knowing there would not be a possibility to put anyone's car down from our choice of materials.

All of the products we are developing have been difficult and time consuming. But with all the extra time and research devoted to each item, we are definitely living up to our new motto
    "Better Research
    Better Products
    Better Prices"

Downloads
    Uploads
    To answer your question - the original plate, as well as our new improvement are both made from aluminum.
    Aluminum or aluminum alloy? What grade? Not all aluminum alloy is created equal. Some aluminum alloy is soft and easily damaged. Other aluminum alloy is strong and wear resistant.

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive been on this site for over 10 years
    There has been very few threads complaining about this, low pressure, as an issue that i can remember from the past 10 years.

This would definately come up if it was an issue as all gt s have oil pressure gauges so in effect we monitor the pressure every time we drive.
    Also this plate is easily refaced using a pane of glass and wet and dry, and was thick enough in the first place as Opel produced them.

It is actually the gears that do wear and are very hard to buy NOS.

Also why do you feel you have to boast about everything you may produce or sell.
    It just gets boring and annoying.
    However I do appreciate any company that reproduces new parts for old Opel so keep it up. Also I dislike companys that boast that say they are the cheapest or in a sale when under comparison they dont do so well.
    guyopel and First opel 1981 like this.

Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a couple of comments:
    More pressure means more HP wasted pumping oil.
    You only need a few pounds of pressure to keep the motor lubricated. That's why the oil lights, on cars of this vintage, typically didn't come on until the pressure was less than 5 psi.
    Consistent, reliable pressure is the only thing that matters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmcbrass View Post
    You only need a few pounds of pressure to keep the motor lubricated. That's why the oil lights, on cars of this vintage, typically didn't come on until the pressure was less than 5 psi.
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines but didn't want to pick a number.
    It really sounds like the 48-56psi that is bragged about, in the informative post, would be, not only overkill but, asking for trouble.

Kid at heart
    Real Name
    Beelzebub
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yawn...
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra GT; 02-27-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    More pressure means more HP wasted pumping oil. ..
    To add a few more thoughts
    Let's say a quart of oil is in the cylinder head
    Another half-one quart is traveling down to the sump
    The small fry oil filter holds a few ounces.

Yep at 900rpm you only need a few pounds of pressure.
    As the rpm's increase just a few more to keep the mechanical's happy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench459 View Post
    To add a few more thoughts
    Let's say a quart of oil is in the cylinder head
    Another half-one quart is traveling down to the sump
    The small fry oil filter holds a few ounces.

Yep at 900rpm you only need a few pounds of pressure.
    As the rpm's increase just a few more to keep the mechanical's happy.
    Yeah, see, here is my thought on it.

You have lifters that are affected by oil pressure.
    Sure, at 10lbs of pressure there's not much going on but them taking up slack.

But, at 50PSI, with a half inch diameter piston inside the lifter, there could be pressure buildup.
    Plus, aren't there some seals in there that could blow with too much pressure?
    I'm thinking the seal on the oil filter, for instance, isn't all that impressive.

On a side note, back in the 80's I had a 69 RoadRunner, with a 440 Magnum, that was built with an oversized oil pump. It was fine for the first few months but the day I raced a Mustang it seized up (I WAS winning). The diagnosis, too much oil was in the top because the oil pump was able to push air. The engine should have had an oversized oil pan.
    Big oil pump caused oil starvation. Who would think that would happen?

And, FT, I can make a cover like the one that is being touted. I would use the 6061 1/4 aluminum I have in my garage. It ain't brain science. Plus, the timing dealy-bobs are all done and I have sent quite a few out.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Yeah, see, here is my thought on it.

You have lifters that are affected by oil pressure.
    Sure, at 10lbs of pressure there's not much going on but them taking up slack.

But, at 50PSI, with a half inch diameter piston inside the lifter, there could be pressure buildup.
    Plus, aren't there some seals in there that could blow with too much pressure?
    I'm thinking the seal on the oil filter, for instance, isn't all that impressive.

On a side note, back in the 80's I had a 69 RoadRunner, with a 440 Magnum, that was built with an oversized oil pump. It was fine for the first few months but the day I raced a Mustang it seized up (I WAS winning). The diagnosis, too much oil was in the top because the oil pump was able to push air. The engine should have had an oversized oil pan.
    Big oil pump caused oil starvation. Who would think that would happen?

And, FT, I can make a cover like the one that is being touted. I would use the 6061 1/4 aluminum I have in my garage. It ain't brain science. Plus, the timing dealy-bobs are all done and I have sent quite a few out.

Never heard of high bleed hydro lifters..LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what we are talking about. We don't just work on GTs, we see all the Opel models come through the shop. Most other Opels do not have the gauge package to show real oil pressure and many, or most of the sedans, wagons, Kadetts, Mantas and Asconas haven't even been worked on yet since this part has not been available over the counter before and most of these cars still have over 40 year old plastic bypass oil pumps running in them. A manual pressure gauge with adaptors is available from Harbor Freight for super cheap. It shows both psi and bar ratings at the same time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been 40 years since we were building high performance 1.9 Opel engines, but I don't think things have changed in the area of oil pumps.

The biggest issue we saw in those days was the edges of the gears and the sides of the oil pump housings getting chewed up from "junk" going through the pump.

We would routinely replace the timing cover, both gears and the cover plate. I looked up some invoices just now from 1975, we were paying about $15 total for the two gears and cover, and it's hard to read but the timing cover was about $29. So, cheap insurance in those days.

I *never* experienced an engine failure caused by an oiling problem. Plenty of stamped rockers arms blown out until we learned how to prepare them and observe sensible RPM limits, and a few sets of pistons, but the bottom ends were bullet-proof. I sold my last Ascona in 1983 with a dual 45 DCOE, big valve rally motor that had over 200K documented miles on it, same set of main bearings, and one change of rod bearings "just because". The Carillo rods had no measurable deformation and never were resized.

I think the gears and housing being damaged will have more effect on oil pressure than the cover. Just sayin' .

Downloads
    Uploads

Weekly Wrap Up Sunday March 1, 2015

Weekly Wrap Up Sunday March 1, 2015

Hey Folks, today we are all really tired as everyone in the shop put all the time they could in to the OEC President's car. It's finally done, ready, running, driving, big engine, five speed trans, special rear end, and ofcourse the whole body kit you are all familiar with. Direct imported from Germany and oh so much work from the Opels Unlimited crew to completely finish this car. We have to give special thanks to the great many people who helped create this and make it happen for the Opel Club President. Excitement is in the air as he is coming to the museum next weekend to test drive the fully functional car for the first time.

Now that this huge project is finally coming to an end the OU crew will start building the famous Gull Wing GT which is now finally ready to go to the paint shop. With everything ready to go after all these years we have finally decided on the ultimate paint color. Everybody loves Axel's famous GT, now in Donna's hands. It has been decided, finally in the last couple of weeks, that that great paint job and special color will be used on the soon to be completed Stage 5 prototype.

A complete injected 2.4 engine with an 8 speed forward overdrive transmission is now in stock ready to go and will be specially engineered for this car. This car will also feature the newest OU hood design, the Corvette L-88 hood. A one piece custom design that we have a new mold for. Also featuring our front spoiler and so many other goodies including our entire new rubber and interior productions, all shown off for the public to see for the first time in our Riverside museum.

Another reason why we are so tired is that we went to the antique Auto Swap Meet and Car Show in Pomona and dropped off a new black Opel GT that we just got on Friday, selling for just $3,000. Even though it rained some both Saturday and Sunday, uncommon for us So Cal folks here, we did manage to work the whole Car Show Swap Meet and in the end had so many new chrome lug nut varieties available to the public, as well as so many new chrome parts finally rounding up our entire inventory, to add the much needed rear bumpers and bumper guards. Now everything is evened up again and half a dozen sets of both front and rear bumpers as well as guards and other accessories such as chrome GT valve covers are back in stock.

With the shows and festivals coming up soon Opels Unlimited has added so much new parts and reproduction inventory in the last six months, that a whole new building is being set up just to hold it. It has been great buying in bulk and running out of parts is definitely a thing of the past. It is really fun creating new parts. Sorry we didn't get to that yet. We actually have over a half a dozen new superior reproduction products already made and sitting stock all week long. We can only talk about so many things in one night so they will have to wait till next time. Just keep watching. Also new sales flyers are already ready for the next three months. Just call 909-355-OPEL(6735) for your email or snail mail copy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Opel Club President's Car Pictures

Here are pictures of the OEC President, Johnny Roberson's, Evolution One car we worked on all weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Eight speeds forward?

How many in reverse?:-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two. It's a famous thing in Germany. Our friend Klaus used to win races in reverse since no one could overdrive a reverse in their cars. They are not common or readily available, but definitely a fun item. We imported it from Germany and held on to it for a long time for this project.

Real Name
    Jay Swift
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Two. It's a famous thing in Germany. Our friend Klaus used to win races in reverse since no one could overdrive a reverse in their cars. They are not common or readily available, but definitely a fun item. We imported it from Germany and held on to it for a long time for this project.
    I have often thought about adding a Volvo J-Type overdrive in lieu of a 5 speed. I don't think I would ever use all 8 speeds, just simply click on the overdrive once on the highway.

For those who might want to know more about how this works: A Eulogy to the Overdrive? It is Not Dead Yet

Downloads
    Uploads

Evolution One Burns Up the Streets for the first time Today

Evolution One burns up the streets for the first time today. Finally the Evolution One is now a complete running driving functional car. Just hours away from handing over a complete manufactured from scratch, by Opels Unlimited and so many other people, an article should be done to thank everyone from Klaus and Martin Schultz and everyone in Europe that made it possible to bring this car to the United States, as well as the entire lifetime of people along the way, to build and create this car.

We will make an International article for all the folks who helped make this possible. Not only to have the first Evolution One completed in the United States, but also to deliver it by hand to the Opel Enthusiast Club President, just two weeks before his birthday.

We promise this for the future but for now we have to be excited that the big special German engine set-up by OU for the first time is pumping out 200 pounds on the compression test. The big clutch and the custom manicured Getrag 5 speed is now fitting awesomely in the car with all of OU's newest designs for 2015, motor and trans mounts, specially designed for powerful cars.

With all the extra frame strengthening allowing a professional installation of the real removeable Targa Top. So many thanks to Klaus from Germany and all the special goodies that Europe has to offer to OU and it's Opel customer base.

Forty-two hours have been put in to the car in the last two weeks. All the tweeks and peeks, the big 2" exhaust was installed front to back with some great original tips tucked into the body. Lots of flow with an Abarth Center and no rear muffler so the big valve 2 liter could breathe. A little noisy with a quick rap but finally quiet and manageable for Cali's street driving.

Full Stage III suspension, front and rear and foot wide T/A radials to boot. There is another Evolution One Kit in stock now at OU and if sales and interest go well in the US, it could be possible to import and sell this in the future.

We hope you have all enjoyed the Saga of the creation of this car and we are happy to show it off in June at the International June Opel Festival in Perris, CA on June 13, 2015.

We promise another article soon with more answers, who's who and other possibilities for future fun cars like this. (There are other current Euro concept cars being worked on and finished by OU, there will definitely be more focus on the Gull Wing GT and the new Stage V Prototype coming soon in 2015.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information