Drag Racing
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Manta Ascona Kadett Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drag Racing

Opeler dkrizon is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads

Drag Racing

Just seen this new thread fo racers and wanted to start one for drag racers. Quarter mile or eighth mile. I ruan my opel at eight ran a 8.94 on all motor no nitrous and on street tires. I now have the nitrous hooked up and a set of slicks for it. I just want to see who else drag races there opels. What they race and what times they run? Whos got the fastest opel?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler layindoor is on a distinguished road layindoor's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mine went 9.10 in the quarter at norwalk a couple years ago, and has been 8.70's a few years prior with the 540 in it. should be 8.70 range again with the new motor, hope to find out in the next couple of weeks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is your car a full out race car? fiberglass body and all? Seems like a pretty fast opel haha. Im taking it its a gt. I might be running over at norwalk for the goodguys blue suede cruise if its not to pricey. I think thats in september.

Opeler Itsa '70 GT is on a distinguished road Itsa '70 GT's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine's not done yet, however I'm setting up a SBC for 9.90 Super Gas (If I want to go faster, Ill get into my brother's slingshot digger: see my photos) in NHRA. Allyn Armstrong still owns the L/A class record in NHRA Comp Eliminator with a 8.90 @ 149.03 mph he ran with his '72 GT 4-banger....

Bill B.
    It's NOT the speed, BUT the sudden stop...

Opeler layindoor is on a distinguished road layindoor's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no, mine is a Manta, all steel (can't find any fiberglass for it) but it is a full tube chassis car

picture from another thread

by the way, how can you attach a picture to a post that you have already posted?

I tried to attach it, but it said I already uploaded that image......

Downloads
    Uploads

Flashlight Drags!

Last saturday i went to the flashlight drags at clarion airport here in PA. I worked all week to get the car done to race it. I stepped up my nitrous jets to 75 hp and got a set of drag slicks for my wagon. It was my first time with slicks and the bigger shot of nitrous. WOW did it make a difference. I won 8 races and lost two. I made it into the top ten Imports but lost in the final to a really fast lexus. Other than that i had a blast and the car just flew. I got alot of compliments and made alot of people mad. They were mad because this little opel wagon beat there small block muscle cars haha. Anyone else racing lately?

Site Admin My location Gary will become famous soon enough Gary will become famous soon enough Gary's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by layindoor View Post
    by the way, how can you attach a picture to a post that you have already posted?

I tried to attach it, but it said I already uploaded that image......
    Try renaming it and uploading.
    My 24 Valve Ascona A wagon project blog.

Opeler opeltwinturbo is on a distinguished road
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been drag racing my 71 Opel GT since 2000 and have managed a best 1/4 mile of 7.54 @ 185 MPH. It is powered by a twin turbocharged Buick V6 with a powerglide transmission. Car weighed #2,700 with driver.

This spring I had a new tube chassis (6.0) built for the car. Stretched the wheelbase to 102" and added a titanium rear end housing. With the new chassis and the addition of fiberglass doors I expect to reduce the weight by #700. I don't expect to have the car ready to race this year but 09 should be lots of fun.

The old chassis (new 8.50 certification) is for sale complete with Dana 60, wheels and tires. Good start for someone who has Opel body. Buick V6 and small block Chevy use same mounts.
    $4,000.00.
    Attached Images

Trouble Maker My location Phoenix is on a distinguished road Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Holcomb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opeltwinturbo View Post
    I've been drag racing my 71 Opel GT since 2000 and have managed a best 1/4 mile of 7.54 @ 185 MPH. It is powered by a twin turbocharged Buick V6 with a powerglide transmission. Car weighed #2,700 with driver.

This spring I had a new tube chassis (6.0) built for the car. Stretched the wheelbase to 102" and added a titanium rear end housing. With the new chassis and the addition of fiberglass doors I expect to reduce the weight by #700. I don't expect to have the car ready to race this year but 09 should be lots of fun.

The old chassis (new 8.50 certification) is for sale complete with Dana 60, wheels and tires. Good start for someone who has Opel body. Buick V6 and small block Chevy use same mounts.
    $4,000.00.

I want to see some rear quarter shots of that car.
    Needs a 2dr Ascona, everyone else has one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I want to see some rear quarter shots of that car.
    Sent you a PM. I try to make the BOPC race at Reynolds, GA every year. John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two shots from Cecil County 2007 and one from Quaker City twisting the crap out of the car. I'll try to get some videos on "you tube" when they are back on line.
    Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally had some time to post some videos on you tube.

YouTube - Opel GT - 7.58 1/4 mile pass

YouTube - Opel GT vs Mustang

Downloads
    Uploads
    Theres only one thing to say. Your a very sick sick man haha. That thing is wicked. Those turbos spool up alot how much boost are you running? Also how much power you making and is it a buick motor if so what motor? Maybe a turo 6 from a regal or an alluminum 215? just curious.

former opel racer My location jeff denton is on a distinguished road jeff denton's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jeff "Oh-Oh" Denton
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love it. That thing scoots! Looks like serious fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a 274 C.I. Stage 2 Buick Motorsport motor. I purchased two motors from Bahari Racing, Mooresville, NC in 1999. Both motors were used by Michael Waltrip when he raced in the Busch Series. They were naturally aspirated. The motors have Buick Motorsport aluminum heads with a 3.625 crankshaft. Compression is about 9.0. Fuel injectors are 6 - 160# injectors. There are two 67 MM Precision Turbo & Engine turbochargers running at #30 boost WOT. HP is estimated at 1,250. Motor is intercooled with a PTE 1800 liquid to air intercooler. Car weighs #2,700 with driver. The 4 link rear end is a Dana 60 with 4:10 gears. Tires are 32X14X15 Eagles. Transmission is a Rossler Powerglide with 1:76 1st gear. Fuel management is a traditional FAST system. Tuning by Hartline Performance - Melbourne, FL. Front brakes are stock Opel disk and rear are Wilwood racing disks.

The car is lots of fun and predictably runs straight. Biggest problem has been traction on marginal tracks. The new tube chassis with 33X17X15 tires should solve the traction problems. The new 6.0 tube chassis, titanium rear end, and fiberglass doors should reduce overall weight by #500. Expect to have the car running again in 2009.

Hope you enjoyed the pics and videos.

Non Civilian My location opelwasp is on a distinguished road opelwasp's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome car!!!
    I would love to feel that rush.
    My project next year will be swapping a Chevy 3.8L Turbo into my Manta
    That should be a push in the seat of the pants.

Keep up the awesome work.
    Post more pics and movies as they come.
    Arguing online is the same as racing in the Special Olympics;
    no matter who wins, you're both still retarded.

1971 GT (Opelwasp)
    1974 Manta A (Polizei)
    1973 Manta A (junker)
    1973 GT (junker)
    2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
    2004 Dodge Neon SXT
    1987 Yamaha FZ600 (my new toy)

No....its not a Buick.... My location yellaopelgt is on a distinguished road yellaopelgt's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WOW!! Lil' devil for sure!!!!!
    What the heck keeps the windshield from popping out of that thing???
    Joe
    What ...we got here...is........failure......................... to communicate....
    Some men,you just cant reach...so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it.
    Well, he gets it...I dont like it, any more than you men...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information