Opel GT Forum banner

3 Opels Show at Penske Racing Museum

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  slracer 
#1 ·
This is a Cars and Coffee event held 3rd Saturday of the month in Scottsdale AZ.
2 years ago I was told by a Bentley salesman that they never had an Opel appear ,
and I was welcome. It's only 25 minutes from home so an easy drive half of the year.
I have shown there but on 3 18 2017 we set a new record of 3 Opels at this location.

I arrived first and parked between a Corvette and a Ferrari, seemed like worthy companions.
Craig and Irfan were there soon so I moved to park with them.
An ex GT owner, joined us also. Bruce drove a '71 GT while living in Mananas VA in the '70s.
He rallyed and participated in other competitive events including at least once at VIR, Richmond.
Later he drove his GT to AZ but found it too hot to commute in a non A/C car.
I met Bruce because I was wearing an Opel shirt at a local McDonalds. Good conversation starter.

So we had my stock entry level 1.1, Craigs 2.4 FI Targa, and Irfan's Autobahn ready German Manta !

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, we all had a great time... and thanks for hosting the after show get together at your house. Before starting I added about 2 gallons of gas and after driving the 1 1/2 hours to the show and to Roy's then back towards home, I ran out of gas. Luckily my brother, Doug, had taken the can of high test w/ octane booster along in the Isuzu Trooper so after a short delay we got going to the evening show on Bell Road and 67th Ave. The car got a good reception at both shows and I'm planning on taking it to a couple more while I'm here for the next few weeks.
Yes Roy has enough Cacti... but he still gets plenty of "visitors"

#4 ·
More from Penske

Lots of critter visitors come out of the cacti, will post pics sometime.

Here a few more pics from Cars & Coffee, and Penske Museum.
The Aston Martin has a 'spacey' wrap, I was told about $7000 for the wrap, car is additional.
The last engine could be a good swap into an Opel for someone with unlimited funds and nerve.
Other upgrades would be required !

Attachments

#6 ·
Next Time

Mel, and anyone else in the area, there are chances every week to get together and show our Opels.
Of course I know more about the events close to me like Venues Cafe in Carefree, and the Scottsdale Motorsports,
(moved from Gainey Village to a shopping center on Mayo ), one block North of Penske .

And Cars & Coffee at Penske on Scottsdale Rd always is good.
I have been to these with Zooms Just Fine but I have been to others like Valley Ho,
and Mesa with Craig to see your Manta, Irfan was also at Valley Ho with his Manta.
Pavilions has a big show every Saturday afternoon.
We have also seen Irfans Opel at Bell Rd at another shopping center get together.
All of these are free, bring anything that drives.

I favor the morning shows because it's cooler and the light is better.
Craig will be here a few more weeks, so lets all try to get together soon.

#7 ·
Hey Roy, I'll be back in Phoenix this weekend after this trip to SoCal so let me know if anything is happening. This wasn't a scheduled trip, but it should be fun! The Society of Automotive Engineers at U Cal Irvine is having a symposium starting with a student paper and ending with a "professional" paper on a "new" vehicle for Bonneville. The new car will be diesel powered and trying to break the British held record of 350+mph. The student presentation is from a pair of students who worked on the car as part of a UCI program so it should be an interesting evening. If you are interested in more details, here is the "brief" about the meeting: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups...0aW1lAzE0ODkwODM4OTM-?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

While working (a long time ago), I was sometimes asked to review student papers for the ASME (Mechanical Engineers) and the AIAA (Aeronautical Engineers) professional societies. I was always good to see how the younger engineers approached a problem.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.