Need an Alternator
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Opelmel
  • 1 Post By Manta Rallier
  • 2 Post By Lindsay
  • 1 Post By DHdogr

Thread: Need an Alternator

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need an Alternator

Has anyone bought parts from CARiD
    the alternator on my 75 manta suffered an early demise and i see that CARiD has a rebuilt one for under $30.
    Are they pulling my leg or are they legit.
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DHdogr View Post
    the alternator on my 75 manta suffered an early demise and i see that CARiD has a rebuilt one for under $30.
    Thanks,

That would depend on the company, I haven't done any business with CARiD so I really don't know. I would suggest going to one of the major parts supplier (O'Riley's, Napa or Autozone) and see what they want for a rebuilt alternator. The companies usually don't do the rebuilds themselves, so you are probably getting the same thing in all three places. Make sure of the size, not sure about Mantas, but with a GT a lot of alternators won't fit in the space for the alternator. Also make sure of the amps produced by the alternator.

Hope that helps a little.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 1 Week Ago at 12:55 AM.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    That would depend on the company, I haven't done any business with CARiD so I really don't know. I would suggest going to one of the major parts supplier (O'Riley's, Napa or Autozone) and see what they want for a rebuilt alternator. The companies usually don't do the rebuilds themselves, so you are probably getting the same thing in all three places. Make sure of the size, not sure about Mantas, but with a GT a lot of alternators won't fit in the space for the alternator. Also make sure of the amps produced by the alternator.

Hop that helps a little.

Bob
    Bob has it right. Go to a local auto store and get get a GM alternator. 2 wire. Rewire according to the FSM.
    The only thing I had to do with the Alternator on the Manta was re-clock it. You re-clock, in case you don't know how, is to take the 3 long screws that hold the Alternator together, hold it together tightly, and turn the base until it re-aligns with another hole. I ended up on a slight angle, but it worked. On my Gt, It clocked at the 12 o'clock position and was a piece of cake. Good luck, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Years ago I took a starter motor from a Ferrari 246 to my local NAPA dealer who sent it to his source for rebuilt units, and they had it back to me in about ten days. I would think they could do the same with an Opel alternator.

Real Name
    Mel
    Downloads
    Uploads

Upgrade it!

Lots of good information here on how to upgrade from the weak stock alternator.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/chargi...modifications/

The most common upgrade is the GM 105 amp alternator. You could also spring for the higher output Opel alternator from OGTS.
    soybean and Lindsay like this.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Something like this from CARiD is a crapshoot. I did a search on their site and did not come up with a rebuilt stock Bosch alternator for this year/model of Opel. And $30 for a rebuilt Bosch alternator is not making sense. They have never been that cheap to get parts for, or for rebuilds.

These old Bosch alternators and regulators are getting pretty ancient. The recommended GM alternator conversion will save you trouble over the long term, and you can get a replacement anywhere; I'd only use the Bosch system if I was keeping the car original.

I just put a new GM alternator on my recently acquired '75 1900 (which is the same exact setup as your Manta); very easy. A new NAPA alternator fit right in on the stock mounting with one part change: a different top alternator bracket. That takes a minor bit of fabrication but there are plenty of good posts/threads on that here. I did not even have to re-clock the 2 prong internal regulator connection, and put on the same belt. Some quick re-wiring right at the alternator/old regulator area, and voila: a much better working alternator setup than the Bosch ever was.

I always made that conversion on my rally Opels starting back in 1980-ish, both for lower cost and better spares availabililty with the GM alternators, and for a lot more power output. No way the old Bosch system would support the needed level of power (over 500 watts for 6 quartz-iodide rally lights).
    soybean likes this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need an alternator

Well this is why you save all those old parts from the parts car.
    Fortunately I had a (very dirty) spare in the garage attic.
    I put it in and it worked.
    I'm sure the bearings were not happy but they stopped squealing after a couple of revs.

My local mechanic gave me the name of a rebuild shop so I might give them a try.
    Otherwise all is good until i try to fix something else.

Oh BTW Rock Auto has new Negative battery cables so you are grounded properly.
    That way the engine cranks over, head lights, horn, directional signal work and you pass NY inspection.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    soybean and Manta Rallier like this.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DHdogr View Post
    Thanks,
    I have a brand new GM 65amp one wire alternator with a custom chromed top bracket that you can have for $100 plus shipping.
    The bracket alone cost me $85 to chrome.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need an alternator

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post