New OGTS starter solenoid - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New OGTS starter solenoid

Downloads
    Uploads
    My '61 Vauxhall had the separate solenoid and you could push the plunger and crank the engine when you were working on the engine. Great to have when you are adjusting valves.
    First opel 1981 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
    My '61 Vauxhall had the separate solenoid and you could push the plunger and crank the engine when you were working on the engine. Great to have when you are adjusting valves.
    The mechanical plunger was a nice thing to have. Otherwise you can just add a jumper button to the GM or Ford versions.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great thank you. I'll be copying this page. This will be my plan B if my upgrades don't work. Any particular Ford Solenoid I should use.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 12-01-2017 at 10:52 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale .D View Post
    Great thankyou. I'll be copying this page. This will be my plan B if my upgrades don't work. Any particular ford Solenoid I should use.
    Specifically, the one I used was for a 1972 Ford Torino wagon with a 400ci engine.
    Dale .D likes this.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn’t able to find a solenoid in my town. By the way the correct part number is SS823 or 1m1251 for the solenoids.
    I swapped the working OGTS starter from my off-road GT to my GT with the broken solenoid. It starts great once again! I put my old 1.9L bosch starter on the off-road GT and it starts just as good as before!

I’m going to see about sending the bad one back to Opel Gt source, because it isn’t very old. If they won’t take it then I’m going to try the ss823 solenoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a little reasearch based on another thread Gary started about a solenoid for his 2.4 starter and found Standard Motor Products #SS348 also fits the vehicles he mentioned. I took a chance and ordered one via Amazon (easy returns if necessary). If you look at the product description from Standard’s site, this is a quality part including all copper posts.

It’s an exact fit for the OGTS new starters. If you have a OGTS starter with a bad solenoid you may want to try this part. It’s not inexpensive but you will be able to use the smaller, permanent magnet starter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmbinjax; 12-02-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info there. Gil was talking about going for copper posts.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have read through the entire thread, and I am still a little confused. (That is not unusual). Are we talking about the solenoid on the permanent magnet starter that OGTS sells? I put one of these on my GT, seems to have a little more power than the usual replacement starter. I haven't had any problems with the starter or the solenoid, so that is why I am wondering if we are talking about the same starter and solenoid. Any replies would be appreciated.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    I have read through the entire thread, and I am still a little confused. (That is not unusual). Are we talking about the solenoid on the permanent magnet starter that OGTS sells? I put one of these on my GT, seems to have a little more power than the usual replacement starter. I haven't had any problems with the starter or the solenoid, so that is why I am wondering if we are talking about the same starter and solenoid. Any replies would be appreciated.

Bob
    Yes, for permanent magnet OGTS starter. Some have had premature solenoid failure.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starter solenoids.

I have two Opels, both are 1.9L engines. I’ve replaced the starters on both engines with the OGTS starter. The GT’s starter began acting up within a week of installation. I called Gil and he shipped out a replacement. That was two years ago and it’s still going strong. The Kadett’s OGTS starter is beginning to act up after a summer of driving. I’ll be removing it shortly just to replace the solenoid now that I see you guys have found a replacement. The OGTS starters are strong, turn the engine over much faster, and do weigh a lot less. It’s not the starter giving me problems, it’s the solenoid’s. That SS 348 replacement looks like a good solution.
    Thanks to everyone for doing the research on this.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbinjax View Post
    I did a little reasearch based on another thread Gary started about a solenoid for his 2.4 starter and found Standard Motor Products #SS348 also fits the vehicles he mentioned. I took a chance and ordered one via Amazon (easy returns if necessary). If you look at the product description from Standard’s site, this is a quality part including all copper posts.

It’s an exact fit for the OGTS new starters. If you have a OGTS starter with a bad solenoid you may want to try this part. It’s not inexpensive but you will be able to use the smaller, permanent magnet starter.
    Would this solenoid fit on the 1.9 starter? I have that i believe is original with a bad solenoid, and i really dont want to have to shell out $150 for a new starter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nevermind, my starter is aftermarket. Im not sure how id find a solenoid for it at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Ts-Games View Post
    Would this solenoid fit on the 1.9 starter? I have that i believe is original with a bad solenoid, and i really dont want to have to shell out $150 for a new starter

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I had my first experience with the permanent magnet 2.4 starter. At Kool April Nites, The starter just died. It has 12.74 volts going to the solenoid, but when you turn the key to start, you get nothing. No clicking, no sound, no nothing. I am going to call Gil tomorrow and find out if he has any ideas. I don't know if the starter itself won't work or the solenoid is the issue. It has probably been used 45 times since it was new. Can't figure this one out.

Bob
    Last edited by tealcarver; 05-05-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Solenoid starter 101

There are basically 4 reasons a starter goes bad.

Solenoid coil
    Solenoid contacts
    Bendix
    Starter brushes.

If it clicks, the solenoid coil is fine
    If it spins the solenoid contacts are good.
    if it spins but doesn't engage then the bendix is probably bad.
    If you get nothing, it's bad contact or the solenoid coil is bad.

OR, you have a bad line to the solenoid.
    To test it, jump the solenoid

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no idea what a bendix is, but my starter spins, but doesnt engage
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    Solenoid starter 101

There are basically 4 reasons a starter goes bad.

Solenoid coil
    Solenoid contacts
    Bendix
    Starter brushes.

If it clicks, the solenoid coil is fine
    If it spins the solenoid contacts are good.
    if it spins but doesn't engage then the bendix is probably bad.
    If you get nothing, it's bad contact or the solenoid coil is bad.

OR, you have a bad line to the solenoid.
    To test it, jump the solenoid

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Well, I had my first experience with the permanent magnet 2.4 starter. At Kook April Nites, The starter just died. It has 12.74 volts going to the solenoid, but when you turn the key to start, you get nothing. No clicking, no sound, no nothing. I am going to call Gil tomorrow and find out if he has any ideas. I don't know if the starter itself won't work or the solenoid is the issue. It has probably been used 45 times since it was new. Can't figure this one out.

Bob
    What is the battery voltage drawn down to when you turn the key to start?
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ts-Games View Post
    I have no idea what a bendix is, but my starter spins, but doesnt engage
    They come in many flavors

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it something that can be replaced without replacing the while starter?
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    They come in many flavors

Real Name
    Paul
    Downloads
    Uploads

#ss348

Just wondering, what the results have been for those who purchased the Standard Motor Products #ss348 solenoid? My OGTS "new" starter began to act up last year and I am now thinking about this solenoid as a replacement. Has this solenoid solved the issues with the OGTS version on their new, lightweight, starter?

Thanks
    Paul in Mi

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can replace a bendix without replacing the whole starter but you do need to remove the starter to do it.

I forgot a small but possible other reason for the starter to spin but not engage. If the pivot pin front the solenoid to the bendix were to break, you would get spin but no engagement.

Back when I had my first Opel GT, I could buy an Opel bendix at the import parts place. In fact, I had to one time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information