Front Harness Lighting Questions Options
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: †0
Likes Likes: †0
Dislikes Dislikes: †0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By GoldGT
  • 3 Post By opelspyder
  • 1 Post By GoldGT

Thread: Front Harness Lighting Questions Options

  1. #1
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Front Harness Lighting Questions Options

    my front lighting harness is roached. I cut it half way down the engine compartment to create a new harness.
    I had a few questions...

    - Are the large round lamps the turn signals? And if so, I thought they were fog lights
    - what are the chances the micro switches are good? I think to remove and mechanism to get to them will be a nightmare. I can either re-wire them to the existing harness pieces I have left in, or re-route a new switch to turn the head lights on and off from inside the car.
    - Is the inside lighting switch the high beams, and if so I thought the floor foot switch was it and that I believe is the washer fluid...

    Thanx.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    1000 Post Club tealcarver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada
    Posts
    1,296
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
    my front lighting harness is roached. I cut it half way down the engine compartment to create a new harness.
    I had a few questions...

    - Are the large round lamps the turn signals? And if so, I thought they were fog lights
    - what are the chances the micro switches are good? I think to remove and mechanism to get to them will be a nightmare. I can either re-wire them to the existing harness pieces I have left in, or re-route a new switch to turn the head lights on and off from inside the car.
    - Is the inside lighting switch the high beams, and if so I thought the floor foot switch was it and that I believe is the washer fluid...

    Thanx.
    The turn signals are round but are about 4 inches wide, with usually yellow lenses in them.
    The micro switches were OK on mine, but I replaced them anyway. OGTS sells them and taking the headlights out again does not sound like fun to me.
    If you plan to keep your car stock, then rewire it to the headlight relay just like the original.
    I am not sure what you mean by the inside lighting switch for the high beams.

    You will need a good wiring diagram specific to the year of your car, and from there you can figure out what wire goes where.

    Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

  4. #3
    Senior Contributor GoldGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    4,801
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
    my front lighting harness is roached. I cut it half way down the engine compartment to create a new harness.
    I had a few questions...

    - Are the large round lamps the turn signals? And if so, I thought they were fog lights
    - what are the chances the micro switches are good? I think to remove and mechanism to get to them will be a nightmare. I can either re-wire them to the existing harness pieces I have left in, or re-route a new switch to turn the head lights on and off from inside the car.
    - Is the inside lighting switch the high beams, and if so I thought the floor foot switch was it and that I believe is the washer fluid...

    Thanx.
    Do it right the first time, don't cheat. The only headlight switch is the microswitch that turns on the headlight relay when the light buckets are open, there is no switch inside the car other than the hi/lo beam switch.
    soybean likes this.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanx.
    Yep that toggle switch on the dash area I thought was a high low toggle switch.

    I have some really good wiring diagrams from OpelGTSource, where I have purchased a ton of stuff, including the headlight connectors.

    Now that I have the headlight buckets out of the car, is there a good way to get to the micro switches?

    Do I remove the headlight mechanism assembly , and if so will that cause any issues with putting it back on and the headlamp for it turning.


    Thanx.
    Last edited by chrislynn5; 1 Week Ago at 09:23 PM.

  7. #5
    Opel Key Master opelspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,688
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
    Thanx.
    Yep that toggle switch on the dash area I thought was a high low toggle switch.

    I have some really good wiring diagrams from OpelGTSource, where I have purchased a ton of stuff, including the headlight connectors.

    Now that I have the headlight buckets out of the car, is there a good way to get to the micro switches?

    Do I remove the headlight mechanism assembly , and if so will that cause any issues with putting it back on and the headlamp for it turning.


    Thanx.
    A few things, you can purchase a complete factory style harness for a replacement that will take it all the way to the fuse box. Iím currently backlogged with making them, but Opel Unlimited has some of mine in stock Iím sure. You have to remove the mechanisms to get to the micro switches. I donít like the ones that GTS is carrying now because the terminals are smaller, and require different connectors.
    If you search on YouTube for Opel GT Headlight install, you should find about three videos I did on installing them and overview of the headlight mechanisms as well
    Ooooner, soybean and dpre like this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

  8. #6
    Senior Contributor GoldGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    4,801
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    If you are moderately mechanically inclined, taking the mechanisms out should not be an issue. There are access panels in the front wheel wells so you need the front wheels off in order to get to them. I believe the small panels are held by three screws that are under the undercoating so you will have to look carefully to find them. You will also have to disconnect the operating cable and the clamp that ties the two sides together that is in front of the radiator. The driver's side is the most difficult because the master cylinder is in the way of one of the nuts if I remember correctly.
    soybean likes this.
    Jeff

    '73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

    www.markandson.net

    www.gpny.com

    '64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

  9. #7
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    A few things, you can purchase a complete factory style harness for a replacement that will take it all the way to the fuse box. Iím currently backlogged with making them, but Opel Unlimited has some of mine in stock Iím sure. You have to remove the mechanisms to get to the micro switches. I donít like the ones that GTS is carrying now because the terminals are smaller, and require different connectors.
    If you search on YouTube for Opel GT Headlight install, you should find about three videos I did on installing them and overview of the headlight mechanisms as well
    Opel Unlimited doesn't have pictures of the harness, do you have any? What is the quality level and I'm assuming it has all the wires and connectors for original 1970 Opel GT configuration.

    I'm interested but it is a little pricey.

    I'll try finding the videos.

  10. #8
    Opel Key Master opelspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,688
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Itís the highest quality TXL color coded wire harness you can buy. Hard to take a picture of the harness, but this is how it will come
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

  11. #9
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    38
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    It’s the highest quality TXL color coded wire harness you can buy. Hard to take a picture of the harness, but this is how it will come
    nice. do you sell them directly? To save a little

    I assume the headlight connectors are off to feed the line through. I have replacement connectors.

  12. #10
    Opel Key Master opelspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,688
    Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
    nice. do you sell them directly? To save a little

    I assume the headlight connectors are off to feed the line through. I have replacement connectors.
    No savings, but normally I would say yes, but we are so back logged, that is why I let you know he had them in stock. Also yes connectors are off to allow install.
    If I recall he is selling them at $199.00?
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts