Reverse Light Delay - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Reverse Light Delay

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tim that is another good idea to try as a troubleshoot fix. I have not tried that. Eric also a good idea to try since it happened to you. Come to think of it, I believe that might certainly be the problem. Cant say for sure until I try it, but when I was testing, I think there was one time the light did come on quicker when I actually engaged the gear shift further forward. Must have something to do with the mechanism in the transmission that is activating the switch button. Just wonder if others have experienced the same.

Either way I will try both ideas and let everyone know the results. I realize this issue is not a major crisis with our Opel's, but something that is interesting to diagnose and correct or it could just be me
    tealcarver and terrylewisac like this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    but something that is interesting to diagnose and correct or it could just be me

Not at all Dan I'm a little corky about the little stuff as well. Maybe I just like the troubleshooting to repair. How things work Well I'll just tear it down and find out

I've said before and will gladly repeat and I quote

( my wife calls me anal I say not at all just curiously detail oriented) until it's her project and I have to do it her way LOL
    dpre likes this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely said Terry, there is a lot of truth in that. I bet all of us that own a Opel are little anal when it comes to our Opel. Nothing wrong with that I have been fighting a head/chest cold recently and not able to get out and work on the Opel. Hoping soon to trouble shoot a couple of ideas that have been posed on my issue. Its always a joy to be able to find the problem and tell others for future diagnosis.
    terrylewisac likes this.

Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A shot a whiskey A tea spoon of honey and hhuummmm never made it passed that.
    Hope you get to feeling better soon Dan. Nothing worse than having the drive but not the energy.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay finally I have had some time to work on my delay issue I did what Jeff suggested and removed the two wires at the switch and connected directly together. I turned the ignition to on and the reverse light activated immediately

The good news is: the wiring and ground is working properly. Bad news is: has to be the switch. And that is a brand new switch from OGTS with very little use. Certainly new parts can be defective Have to decide do I remove the switch and see if I can repair it or just order another one from OGTS.
    tealcarver and terrylewisac like this.

Dan

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if you can pull the switch out and manually activate it by hand and determine if it just has a bad spot or misalignment internally?
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had a couple things that went bad that I got from Gil. He usually sends a new part if the part you got is defective. Call Gil and see what the options are, or maybe he has the answer for you.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Okay finally I have had some time to work on my delay issue I did what Jeff suggested and removed the two wires at the switch and connected directly together. I turned the ignition to on and the reverse light activated immediately

The good news is: the wiring and ground is working properly. Bad news is: has to be the switch. And that is a brand new switch from OGTS with very little use. Certainly new parts can be defective Have to decide do I remove the switch and see if I can repair it or just order another one from OGTS.
    dpre likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I may try that Terry, I don't remember how much transmission oil escapes when you remove the switch. I don't have a plug, but I'm sure its minimal. You are correct Bob, Gil is awesome to work with and he does compensate fairly. I bought the switch a few years ago more for stopping the leak when I first got the GT. I just recently started to work on that project by hooking up the wires.

I'm probably going to pull the switch and see if I can fix the problem and if not, oh well I buy a new one and the issue should be fixed

Dan

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW... I had an original switch fail similarly in the 80's... it got erratic, odd delays, etc. Seems to be in the nature of the switch design.
    hrcollinsjr, dpre and terrylewisac like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info Manta Rallier, that makes me feel better knowing it’s very likely the switch. I have my Christmas list when OGTS releases their sales and I will add a switch.
    terrylewisac likes this.

Dan

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hhuummm I got to thinking about this subject last night and I may check mine this weekend
    Does anyone know the ohm value for this switch?
    That may help to uncover the delay part
    dpre likes this.

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    I wonder if you can pull the switch out and manually activate it by hand and determine if it just has a bad spot or misalignment internally?
    Should be able to as it is only completing the connection between the two wires attached to it. Use an ohm meter if you have one and push the plunger to see if there is a slow response. All you are looking for is continuity with the plunger depressed.

Harold

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting Terry, I never thought of that I wonder how many others experience this issue. I would have to agree with what Chuck said in his post #2. How often do we check the reverse light, unless its at night and were expecting the light to activate. In my case its a solid 5 second delay before activating. I think a lot of folks can have that short delay before actually moving the car, thus never knowing they have a delay issue. Or as Bob put it, I just have some gremlins to get rid of

Terry you might be on to something, or the switch has a malfunction from development. That's why I like this forum, so many folks that are knowledgeable in so many different ares. As simple as this issue is, it brings out the best in all of you

I will be purchasing a new one soon, and once installed and checked out, I will report my findings.

Dan

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Should be essentially 0 ohms between the contacts when closed (in reverse) but yours will close as erratically as the light operates. I would not be surprised if the contacts inside the switch are a bit burned/pitted, or contaminated in some way.

In my long-ago case, the switch was seeping a tiny bit and so the internal seal was allowing some gear oil to get into the area with the contacts, which is probably what was the problem.
    dpre and terrylewisac like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would totally agree with you Manta Rallier I would suspect that eventually the contacts will stop making contact due to corrosion etc. I'm highly confident that when I replace with a new switch, I will have immediate activation

Dan

Real Name
    Lloyd
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bad switch

I thank everyone for the informative round table discussion concerning the delayed activation of their back-up lights. While I don't have a back-up problem ( I just eat a few prunes a week) I do have a small delay when I go to take a whiz, from the time I get pointed in the right direction until I get into the flow of things. I don't think Gil stocks a switch for my model (1939) and I am not going to attempt to take it apart and fix the contacts, sooooooooooooo I guess I will just have to live with it, but this is the price you must pay for your ill-spent youth even though I certainly had fun when I was spending it

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Subject to me taking the reverse switch out of of 4-speed (which is sitting in my basement, as I've gone Getrag), I seem to recall that the reverse switch is "normally closed", and is in that position due to an internal spring that closes the contacts. The switch has a protruding shaft that is pushed ("activated") by the reverse shift rod in the transmission moving as the reverse gear is slid into the lay-gear cluster. But that rod doesn't directly cause the switch's contacts to close. On the contrary, when the reverse gear is NOT in reverse, the shift rod pushes against the switch, opening the contacts.

When the transmission is shifted into reverse, the rod moves away from the switch. The internal spring then should close the contacts. But if the switch has a bit of extra internal friction, the switch may be slow to close, and the contacts may not close as quickly as the rod moves away. Hence the delay.

JMCW
    Manta Rallier and dpre like this.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Keith, a well written explanation I would suppose that in my case, the switch is just slow in closing. Probably no way to fix the switch or worth the trouble

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information