For Sale: New Opel GT Windshields Factory Tint $390 EA
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: For Sale: New Opel GT Windshields Factory Tint $390 EA

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads

For Sale: New Opel GT Windshields Factory Tint $390 EA

The windshields have been remanufactured green tint with no fit issues. They are quality Pilking Triplex made in England. They are a little pricey but new production, no issues and we stand behind it for fit. These can be picked up in MA or shipped anywhere. Truck freight ranges from $110-175 within the USA, a little higher to Canada. Add $25 crate fee. Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 07:23 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Trey
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Green tint? Why not just have plain?
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Translating 'text' speak

Real Name
    Don Harrold
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is an excellent price at 390....

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Richard, if you think that this glass does not have any issues, you haven't been paying attention for the last 10 years. The glass in question has to be trimmed to fit. This is something that is not that fun to have done. It doesn't fit correctly and several of us have had problems with the Pilkington Glass. So before you have a stock order of a 100 made in England again, have them get the mold right first. Do a search on here for the glass and you will find my postings about this

Keith
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads

Opel GT windshields

Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    Richard, if you think that glass has not have any issues, you haven't been paying attention for the last 10 years. The glass in question has to be trimmed to fit. This is something that is not that fun to have done. It doesn't fit correctly and several of us have had problems with the Pilkington Glass. So before you have a stock order of a 100 made in England again, have them get the mold right first. Do a search on here for the glass and you will find my postings about this

Keith
    Before I read anything I am well aware there was a longstanding issue with the mold from Pilkington UK. in fact when we owned Lo-Can Glass going back to the late 90's/ early 2000's I would not sell after there was an issue. I was told no longer a problem. I assumed this meant new tooling. I will find out tomorrow. We did not have these made as it would be a crazy investment for such large quantities. My question is how recent are you aware of same problems or it being finally resolved. I think these were newly manufactured in the past couple to few months.
    If I find there is still an issue I can get these made from 1 of the 2 top Chinese manufacturers in quantities of 50 for a lot less money but trying not to go that route. We have invested into several toolings for Alfa Romeo, Porsche and so on recently. Back in touch. Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great to see people up on the new hopefully retooled well fitting windshields. Question. When they say green tint is that the whole glass or just the top. So if you have comprehensive on your insurance & your windshield gets damaged can you just give them this info & let them order it? P.S in Canada
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sold!

If you can guarantee correct fitment, then tell me where to send the money!
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, High Torque Starter, High Output Alternator, Custom CAI, Headers / Custom Exhaust, Getrag 240 5-Speed,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My issues were a year ago now, back in July of 2009. I would be willing to bet that the same toooling was used. If Matt is willing to be a guinea pig, we will try to install one on his and see. Is this a case where if we find it doesn't fit and will require trimming, we can send it back shipping paid???
    Keith
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Matt
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd be willing to be the test case if I knew I could get my money back (with shipping) if the windshield doesn't fit correctly.
    '72 Opel GT (Fireglow Orange) "Sara"

Major Mods: Weber Carb, High Compression Pistons, Electronic Ignition, High Torque Starter, High Output Alternator, Custom CAI, Headers / Custom Exhaust, Getrag 240 5-Speed,
    Enhanced Suspension (Anti-Sway Bars / Koni Reds / Sport Springs), "Big" Brake Package with 22mm Booster / MC, 15x8" Wheels and Toyo RA-1 Tires, XM Radio

Restoration Thread
    Comments Thread

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    My issues were a year ago now, back in July of 2009. I would be willing to bet that the same tooling was used. If Matt is willing to be a guinea pig, we will try to install one on his and see. Is this a case where if we find it doesn't fit and will require trimming, we can send it back shipping paid???
    Keith
    We always stand behind things like this but obviously I am going to make dam sure what the situation is before we start selling and shipping these. I know they were not fitting and they either dumped or would not sell any longer. If it is the same tooling and they supposedly corrected the problem I would take a chance with one. Certainly not going to sell and ship more than 1 til I know.
    The worst case scenario we can get these made as I said but the 2 big plants in China have gone from 3-4 months turnaround to more than 6 months.. I got stick in the middle of that slowdown but I assume folks are sue to waiting.
    I would say that back in the 70's and 80's we sold at least a 100 of these windshields. There were a couple of good aftermarket producers like Safevue (So Africa) and one in Sweden but they either went belly up or do not offer glass like this any longer. Safevue made a good product, still around but all the tooling is long gone.
    I will try to get the lowdown on this asap.
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just out of curiousity, what about windshields for the Manta, or Ascona, or Kadett?
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

BDD
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think that for anything made in China, there would be major quality issues with no accountability. They tend to make a lot of junk and sell it here. They were making squid look fresh by tinting it with printers ink, adding a knock out drug to kids candy and toxic and carcinogenic coal derived chemicals to food products as an additive or filler. I won't even get into how they quickly "produce" donor organs for the medical market........I think their attention to detail, fit, and quality control would be minimal.

Also, if the problems with the English mfg'd. windshields have been "fixed", I would want to know how. Have the molds been changed to allow for cooling shrinkage and fit, are they just being trimmed somehow before sending with no mold changes, etc? Also, what are the guarantees and/or warranties to guarantee quality?
    Last edited by BDD; 10-20-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Ooooner likes this.

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ProSource Glass View Post
    We always stand behind things like thios but obviously I am going to make dam sure what the situation is before we start selling and shipping these. I know they were not fitting and they either dumped or would not sell any longer. If it is the same tooling and they supposedley corrected the problem I would take a chance with one. Certainly not going to sell and ship more than 1til I know.
    The worst case scenario we can get these made as I said but the 2 big plants in China have gone from 3-4 months turnaround to more than 6 months.. I got stick in the middle of that slowdown but I assume folks are sue to waiting.
    I would say that back in the 70's and 80's we sold at least a 100 of these windshields. There were a couple of good aftermarket producers like Safevue (So Africa) and one in Sweden but they either went belly up or do not offer glass like this any longer. Safevue made a good product, still around but all the tooling is long gone.
    I will try to get the lowdown on this asap.
    The Manta windshields are available new older stock US made. We do not have here but can supply at $240 ea + $25 crate fee + freight. Email me direct at [email protected] if interested in ordering and info. You can call the office toll free at 877-345-2800 and Lois or I can give info. This is Glass Part#FW221- no issues ever with these!

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am told the tooling is the same BUT this is a new batch of which 6 were sold and no fit problems. That is good enough for me to take a chance on 1 to start with. It is quite possible the production was made wrong with the bend initially and never corrected but we will stand behind 1 for the guinea pig attempt. Just email me at [email protected] and I will go over the particulars.. too much going on to read through the thread sometimes.

As for the China manufacturers FYG and XYG industries are billion dollar + companies now with OEM contracts from Mercedes to Cadillac and in between. They both make a good product and the other "OEM" companies such as PPG (now PGW) sub a lot of their work... they are definitely a quality product most of the time. They are taking over.. We had them do Alfa Berlina/ Super windshields as well as GTV Coupe glue in type recently- very good would never know these were anything less than OEM..
    Anyway, let's try for a GT windshield first and see what happens before standing behind any more.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Last edited by hrcollinsjr; 10-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ProSource Glass View Post
    I am told the tooling is the same BUT this is a new batch of which 6 were sold and no fit problems. That is good enough for me to take a chance on 1 to start with. It is quite possible the production was made wrong with the bend initially and never corrected but we will stand behind 1 for the guinea pig attempt. Just email me at [email protected] and I will go over the particulars.. too much going on to read through the thread sometimes.

As for the Chine manufturers FYG and XYG industries are billion dollar + companies now with OEM contracts from Mercedes to Cadillac and in between. They both make a good product and the other "OEM" companies such as PPG (now PGW) sub a lot of their work... they are definitely a quality product most of the time. They are taking over.. We had them do Alfa Berlina/ Super windshields as well as GTV Coupe glue in type recently- very good would never know these were anything less than OEM..
    Anyways, let's try for GT windshield first and see what happens before standing behind any more.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Thanks for trying to help us Opelers keep'm going.
    TMK

Real Name
    Derrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have any pictures of the windshield(s)? I would like to see one, and I would like to know about the green tint.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You will certainly know right away if it does not fit. My trimmed one fits, but not perfectly. I also already have a small ding in it on the drivers side so it would sure be nice to be able to buy another one that I know would fit when I am ready to junk this one.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I kind of agree with the Made in China thing. Tends to be no support if it is tooled incorrectly. Isn't that the problem with America now anyway-sending stuff to be made in China??? Don't mean to get into the politics here, but I would like to see an American quality part made for them
    Keith
    Last edited by Ooooner; 10-20-2010 at 09:32 PM.
    www.newvintageauto.com

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markandson View Post
    You will certainly know right away if it does not fit. My trimmed one fits, but not perfectly. I also already have a small ding in it on the drivers side so it would sure be nice to be able to buy another one that I know would fit when I am ready to junk this one.
    I will get one up with pictures in a few days when I have it here and folks can see the standard factory green tint. Then we will address the requests. You should not have to trim any part of the glass. I remember that issue when we had 10 sitting on the rack and they were a little too big.
    If it doesn become a problem and I can a sample used one from someone of an original, China does a very good job. Of course I would like to see a US company produce but trust me it does not exist. Short production runs, good quality and a good price is not happening, What makes it more debilitating , there was and is a shortage of raw material. The MExican plants for Ford Carlite and Pilkington (LOF) were not even producing for months, There is if anyone is interested companies that we deal with in the US that can tool up and make door glasses if there is demand for the GT. We are talking at least 25 sets.. I am only estimating here but could probably be done for about $250 a pair. I did not know if there is still a lot of good used door glasses around.. just a thought. We have door glasses remade on a regular basis.
    By the way anyone wants to see what we carry a sample is on Ebay with some pictures under prosourceglass. Thanks and I will be in touch when I have 1 here. Richard
    eriegtguy likes this.

ProSource Glass
    Downloads
    Uploads

I should have 1 here with pictures on Tuesday late in the day. I will get measurements and so on and see if it makes sense..

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information