Opel GT Forum banner

putting a trunk in a gt

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  baz 
#1 ·
has anyone looked into putting a trunk into a gt

the changes i am looking to do on the rear driveline mean i will not be able to put the tank back in so need an alternet route

#2 ·
I am in the process of converting the rear area into a trunk, with the purpose of sealing the rear compartment from the passenger compartment. I have made a few cuts already to add a trunk lid, but I have not finished it yet.

Take a good look at a Ferrari Dino to get some ideas (looks very similar to the Opel rear).

-Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

#5 ·
Take care! The fixed panel between the rear window and the tail end provides LOTS of strength and rigidity to the rear of the body.

While repairing the rear panel we removed this bit of sheet metal to get some access and had to weld a bit of 1" X 1" box-section across the bottom of the rear window to keep everything square.
The whole rear end of the body got very wobbly. So it was all repaired and welded back in.

I guess if the whole area under there was boxed with sheetmetal, right down to the floor and a front bulk-head put in between the rear wheel wells it could be strong enough to leave a hole in the rear, behind the window, for an opening trunk lid.

I believe that the original design envisaged a lid here but the final design went "solid" for rigidity.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I plan on doing this to my 2nd project (71GT) since it has a smash hinny. A x-brace frame with a top plate would work fine to support window and body structure. My idea: Rain-rails and lid from a small trunk car. Narrow to fit the factory fendor seams. Cover plate below rear window rubber. Resessed fuel pipe (w/ hinged lid) on the back panel. I do plan on using a donought for a spare, unless I add a few more inches to the rear face. my 2 C's.

#8 ·
GT Trunk

Does anyone remember that sporty little Saab two-seater from the 60's? The back panel was hinged at the bottom and opened up to a trunk/storage area. I'm envisioning the rear panel of a GT with a similar hinged access door. If you're just looking for storage space...it seems that would be a better way of doing it without the structural issues. Just a thought.

#11 ·
the drop panel may be ideal for me as i only want a way to put a fuel tank in as it will not go in over th top of the revised rear suspention box section(have to make it higher to drop the back down to normal hight)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.