Targa Installation instructions
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targa Installation instructions

Downloads
    Uploads

Targa Installation instructions

Hi folks,

After just getting my first Opel GT I'm ready to start the restoration and bring her back to her former glory.

I've very interested in a Targa conversion, but my local bodyshop would like information on the work involved before quoting the price.

Elsewhere it has been said that the Lenk Catalogue has Pictures and instructions of the installation procedure, so as this is the kit I will probably be buying. I was wondering if anyone had a copy of these instruction they could email me a copy of?

Thanks everyone, Please do your best.

Azzi (uk)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Not so Easy!

Put '"Targa Top" in the search engine to the left of here and read of the disaster one of your compatriots was embroiled in then think: Do I really want to go there or is a GT perfect as it is?"
    GTJim
    Opel Owner since last Century!

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I know about the Lenk incident, but I think theres more information to that whole saga.

But as a matter of safe practise, i think an extra amount of strenthening will be done as safe measure.

But really, Its a risk I am willing to take for the result I want.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep - It is your GT!

No problem as long as you are aware of the difficulties. I could remember reading the "Lenk" saga when I first started on this group - it had quite an impression on me!

DesTec has an Aero replicant which has the removable roof panels and there are some pictures in his Member's Photo Gallery showing the building stages.

There is so much information here it is amazing - so welcome to the Forum and the 'Best of British Luck'

Colonial Jim
    Last edited by GTJIM; 01-18-2004 at 08:34 PM.
    GTJim

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I did notice that one, Very impressed at the end result.

I remember at Billing 2003 I saw Malcom Yaxleys red targa conversion (the lenk issue) and I was very taken aback with the quality of the conversion. I think if it wasn't for that vehicle I wouldn't have given the GT a second look and still been restoring Manta A's.

I admit that the reports I read on here are quite unsettling as I know that I would never have the thousands he has obviously spent to get the car into the condition it is today.

Luckily I have access to a workshop, complete with JIG and my body-guy works for Ford Motorsport building the Ford Focus WRC Body Shell. So luckily he's going to be the best guy for the job when it comes to making things strong and safe. But like I said before, he wants to know the time involved before doing it by looking at the instructions, before embarking on a time consuming project. (My Manta restoration took 6 months of his time)

Unfortunatly, its going to be this factor that decides the fate of the conversion. So for obvious reasons I want the information as soon as possible. I'll try emailing Lenk too, see if that helps.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a set of "instructions", if you can call it that. They're more like a brochure of the completed product. But, it's a photo-copy, of a copy, of a copy, etc. It's very dark and very fuzzy. It wouldn't do to copy it. But, I have talked with Gil on the kit and it kinda goes like this. Of course you have to build another sub-frame for the body to sit on, and it has to be stiff enough as to not allow the body to flex. You run new rails along the outsides and down the trans tunnel and tie it all together. Next, you have to make the door windows frameless. The upper part of the door must be welded and finished off like it was never cut out. . When all this is done, THEN and ONLY then can you actually cut the roof. The kit will have pieces for clipping the new roof section, you don't use the old steel one, to the body, along with pieces to give the top a finished look. The kit also includes "louvers" to blank out the 1/4 windows, if you desire, you don't have to.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent news, If anyone has a copy of this brochure that then could scan in for me, I'd be appreciative.

Does anyone know whats included in the Kit? I know a fibreglass roff section is included, but what strenthening panels are supplied? or do you have to source steel for the Frame and make it so certain sizes or directions?

The doors really don't scare me as we did a converted a few doors to frameless in a previous conversion. And my Guy is an absolute wizz at things like that. One of my A series doors is almost hand made and you'll never tell.

I've seen the Louvres, but I think thats a no-no in my opinion. It detracts from the style of the car I think.

Going through the search section of the site "opelgt722002" says

Opel GT Source sells a CD rom for $1 of Lenk's catalog. At the end of the section on Opel GT there is a write up (with pictures) in English and German that discusses the structural changes needed for installing their Targa kit.

Is that what you have, or has anyone got a copy of this CD? I'd order a copy but it would take ages for it to arrive in the UK. and time is of the essence.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Postage

Get intouch with Gil at OGTS and ask him to send you the CD in a US Postal Service Global Express Small Flate Rate Envelope. It will only take four to five days to get across the Atlantic and cost maybe a couple of quid. It is $US4 to get one across the pacific.
    The Post Office actually provides the envelope with the service.

Internet: www.opelgtsource.com

EMail: [email protected]

phone: +1 209 928 1110

fax: +1 209 928 3298
    GTJim

Copyright © 2000-2009
    J D Henry
    All Rights Reserved

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Azzi
    No I have a few sheets of paper that have been copied from copies and it's very bad, but, I'd like to get one of those CD's from Gil myself.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a look at the Targa instructions I have and there are some pics showing where the chassis is braced, but, they have been copied so many times, you can make them out. Not only that, the whole thing is in German. Maybe someone could translate the pages and it will explain the process.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gerry at Lenk has been back in touch and tried to send me the instructions through. Unfortunatly My server must have kicked out the file for being too big, so hopefully he will try in smaller chucks.

Ive posted on several forums for this information and apart from the feedback Ive recieved the Tagra seems to be no problem to fit, taking about a weeks work.

Perhaps Malcom was just a little unlucky with his car, but I'll be placing extra bracing to be on the safe side.

(and taking LOADS of photo's of the build process)

Thanks for your help, not there yet, but getting closer.

Azzi

'NO,......O P E L..G T!' Motor Mouth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Azzi,

Good luck if you're going the Targa route, some of the cars that have been converted are great.

As I know your a bit of a Manta nut am I right in guessing that you've been to Billing on several occassions? If so then you'll have previously seen Chris Farleys Targa GT, the one thats RHD and has a V8 in it? If not then you're not likely to see it again as it meet it's maker a year ago......which was a shame as that was one of the best. If you'd like to contact Chris, he maybe able to get his bodyshops telephone number and they may then be able to advise you on some of the Targa issues.

I do know that Gerrys kit is basic and the instructions are a little 'vague' but if the jobs done well....like your A series, then I'm sure you'll be on to a winner.
    Mark
    '69 GT - ex Dealer Opel Team

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gerry Lenk from Lenk Tuning in Germany, has kindly sent me the installation instructions.

Being honest it was quite a suprise to see what little strenthening is actually used before cutting the roof off.

4 x 1" Square tubing from the Jacking points to the Chassis Rail
    An Extra Inner Sill Covering to make it Double Layer
    A Substancial T Piece to brace under the back of the Rear Compartment.
    Another brace to go inside a Channel between the rear turrets.
    A few gussets.

Then its just shut the doors, Spot-Weld the door frames onto the shell, Cut off the frames so the door opens and then cut out the roof.

Seems very simple. But I may add a few extra parts as this car is going to be running about 300BHP , I'm assuming the stock TUV rating is only to about 150BHP or so.

'NO,......O P E L..G T!' Motor Mouth's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And keep your fingers crossed

Andy did you get me e-mail about the blower?

Regards,

Mark
    Mark
    '69 GT - ex Dealer Opel Team

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe a dumb question... but...

... don't the front windows actually go into (in between) the window weatherstripping? If that is the case, then it would seem that you could not open or shut the doors with the windows all the way in the up position. Am I missing somwthing?
    A leader with no one following is just a person out for a walk.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Husker;
    You graft the door frames back into the roof, and make them frameless. If you go to OGTS site and look up the targa kit, it has a few real good pics of the finished door.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oops, just found 4 messages in my Personal Box, Sorry folks.

The instructions came in PAPER format, but I'll type them out in the next window. I'll add pictures as I find them on the net.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Targa Kit instructions

This Targa-Kit makes it possible to change your OPEL GT to an "AERO GT". Please pay attention to the instructions exactly, do the job only if you are qualified to do carbody work. If not, please consult a qualified craftsman. The OPEL GT when Factory made isn't stiff enough to become an AERO, that is why a few things need to be adjusted, but with a little know how there is no problem at all.

CAUTION
    DO NOT cut off the roof BEFORE welding in the strenthening , NEVER !!!! Do all welding work by an Argon gas cylinder welding machine (MIG I ASSUME) . Using a swayzall for cutting the roof is recommended. (WTF is a swayzall??)

The kit contains;
    Frame reinforcement kit
    (2 x inner rocker panels,
    4 x Frame Pieces for underneath,
    3 x Frame Pieces for inner rear section,
    1 x T-Bar frame for inner rear section
    Replacement Glass Fibre roof
    Roof insert for new roof
    Template for cutting the roof
    Complete Roof seal kit
    Lock system
    Special Glue for fibreglass parts)

Before welding in the strenthening, make sure that the car bottom is clean from paint and primer, Welding ONLY on clean steel. Front and Rear axle must be mounted, If the car is on a lift, please make sure that BOTH suspension units are loaded. Remove ALL combustionable parts from the interior.

The Underneath Strenthening
    2 x squared steel tube - front lifting jack support l/r to Chassis
    2 x squared steel tube (flat) rear Chassis to lifting jack support / trailing arm support.
    (Basicly is 4 Square tubes that go alongside the Jacking points, the the Chassis rails. Looking at YXY's Targa in the Gallery shows these in the pictures of the car on the ramps)

Now weld in the additional inner rocker panels, please note that the distance between new and old (good condition) rocker panels is about 3-4mm, Take care that the Seat Belt connections are still usable.
    (OK, this is an Extra INNER SILL on the inside of the car to make it Double layered, Simple and effective)

The strenthening for the rear inner section contains 3 x Square steel tubes, The long one goes INTO the Horizontal U-Profile, Now weld the 2 short tubes, Left and right, from the Upper Strenthening to the rear wheel housing.
    (Its a thicker steel section that fits into the existing framework (the part that Makes the FRONT of the rear shelf) Then its braced with 2 more smaller pieces onto the Inner Wheel Arch)

Now weld the T-Bar frame (2 pieces) into the rear interior, Make sure that the facing board will still fit. Next step is welding in the sheel metals left and right to the rear.
    (This is a MASSIVE square sectional steel beam that sits along the bottom, UNDERNEATH the rear seat/shelf. Then 2 gussets from the semi-circular , sort of making them SQUARE ended instead)

Now for the fun part , Basicly, Close the doors, Make sure gaps are ok then SPOT WELD the upper frame sides to the vehicle body. When fixed properly, cut through the frame at the door height and Viola, the door now opens and the frames are now part of the body work.Then fit the template to the roof and CUT OFF the roof.

The rest of the document explains how to fit the supplied seals using the supplied glues.

This is where I admit to not HAving picked up my GT yet, so I'm not sure how the door frames are going to work. (Does the Window slide inside) the picture on the link above show a Rubber seal similar to the "Manta A", I'm guessing that it will all be explanitory when I come to do it.
    Last edited by azzi; 01-27-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Azzi;
    A sawsall is a power saw that uses different types and lenghts of blades to cut just about anything from wood to metal. Sometimes called a recipo-saw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I meant to add, that I have one of these and they make very short work of cutting up Opel hulks that you have gotten every good part and piece off of. For those who can't afford a "hot wrench" (oxy-acet cutter, or plasma cutter) these are great!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information