Ball Joint Position on Upper Control Arms
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By terrylewisac
  • 1 Post By dpre
  • 1 Post By opellane
  • 2 Post By
  • 1 Post By SpringGT
  • 2 Post By terrylewisac
  • 1 Post By terrylewisac
  • 1 Post By Yellow73GT

Thread: Ball Joint Position on Upper Control Arms

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ball Joint Position on Upper Control Arms

Hello every one I would like to start with my apologies for my absence I had a little mishap/fall in the garage and took a bicycle handle bar to the chest 1 inch from my throat so I have been immobile for a little while. Good NEWS story I finally got that gosh darn bolt out of the cross member and pulled the entire front end apart little bit at a time until I,m sore again. Now fully apart ( getting the bushings out was a joy as well )
    I want to thank all of you who participated in my venture thus far with your kind words and advise that was of excellent help.
    I noticed that the passenger side ball joint was on backwards I'm replacing them so no biggy are the upper control arms reversible? Meaning could the left be the right and vise versa or are they side specific . I KNOW silly question to the experienced opelers but I have seen so many mirrored parts on the gt that I assumed the uca would be the same. If i lay one on top of the other they are identical.
    Thank You in advanced and I'm sure glad to be back tinkering or even typing to say hello to you all.
    soybean and SpringGT like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry glad to hear your okay and back at it with your Opel What a bummer for an injury. Hopefully no long term affects.
    soybean likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Mike's Opel Shop Site Supporter opellane's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotta watch your step in the Garage these days,,, Glad that your Okay,, and back working on your GT again.

The Upper Control Arms are prone to warping or bending,, make sure you have a good set,, Some add Gussetts to make them stronger..

The reason why you found the Upper Ball Joint Reversed ... I think as stated in the factory Manual that the way to Increase Caster
    to the Alignment, flip upper ball joint around ... In my Blue GT have both Upper Ball Joints Reversed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by opellane; 1 Week Ago at 09:46 PM.
    dpre likes this.
    MIKE
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1972 Opel GT, 1969 Opel GT, 1973 MGB,

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems more like it's the camber that is changed by flipping the upper ball joint.
    SpringGT and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the kind words I'm still very soar which is expected with bone injuries I didn't bother going for ex-rays or doctor instead went to chiropractor as the other route would only confirm cracks or fractures which there isn't anything that can be done, that I'm not already doing. He said 1 inch higher would have been devastating if not deadly. Kinda funny all the chances one takes in there life and something so innocent and freakish ( for lack of a better term) could be so potentially life threatening. Any hoo one day at a time till it hurts and tomorrows another day.
    I understand the flipping of the upper ball joints and the affect. my worry was if the UCA is side specific and are mirrors of each other like the LCA are then I have 2 right or left side uca which in my mind would explain one side being cambered opposite of the other to compensate. I'm hoping I'm wrong and both UCA are interchangeable from one side to the other. I hope this clarifies my question a little better
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    Thank you for the kind words I'm still very soar which is expected with bone injuries I didn't bother going for ex-rays or doctor instead went to chiropractor as the other route would only confirm cracks or fractures which there isn't anything that can be done, that I'm not already doing. He said 1 inch higher would have been devastating if not deadly. Kinda funny all the chances one takes in there life and something so innocent and freakish ( for lack of a better term) could be so potentially life threatening. Any hoo one day at a time till it hurts and tomorrows another day.
    I understand the flipping of the upper ball joints and the affect. my worry was if the UCA is side specific and are mirrors of each other like the LCA are then I have 2 right or left side uca which in my mind would explain one side being cambered opposite of the other to compensate. I'm hoping I'm wrong and both UCA are interchangeable from one side to the other. I hope this clarifies my question a little better
    Someone probably turned that UBJ around at sometime in the past to compensate for uneven individual tire wear on one side . Just a guess.
    Sorry to hear of your mishap and wish you a speedy recovery. I just had a retinal tear repaired on Thursday, so I have to sit or lay with my face parallel to the floor for several weeks.
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    Someone probably turned that UBJ around at sometime in the past to compensate for uneven individual tire wear on one side . Just a guess.
    Sorry to hear of your mishap and wish you a speedy recovery. I just had a retinal tear repaired on Thursday, so I have to sit or lay with my face parallel to the floor for several weeks.
    YIKES Springgt that doesn't sound fun at all how in the world does someone achieve that? If you were looking that hard/fast I would think whiplash first. I hope you can manage the recovery well. Sitting or laying around Is not my cup a tea as I'm sure isn't anyone's (you can only watch so much tv or movies before stir crazy settles in and takes over you mind, RIGHT?). I wish you the best and what ever you did lets try not to let it happen again (recovery stinks)

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So my son says it is important to share the end of my fall guy story so here it is

After the fall was over and we (meaning the wife and son) picked up all the bikes I managed to knock over in 2 falls. My son looked to me and said Dad are you OK?
    I replied with this one is going to hurt tomorrow. He asked can I move all my limbs? I replied yes. He then turned and walked 5 feet away from me and picked up my Opeler birthday celebration cup and walked it back to me and said (and I quote)
    Good Job dad you didn't spill a drop. You are probably gonna need the rest of this. My wife on the other hand said ( and I quote) Amazing your hands never hit the ground but your cup stayed upright. You are no longer allowed to celebrate your Opelers birthdays in the garage until you fix the night light and straighten up in here. You wouldn't have fell if you had light and a clearer space to walk through! This is where I replied you are right and yes dear.

Now my space is clear and a light at night for me after I turn off the bright shop lights. I am now allowed to tinker and celebrate again with all my Opel family. I look forward to the next Birthday celebration and cheers to you all in advanced.
    SpringGT and kwschumm like this.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a video on replacing ball joints here.

https://youtu.be/d79lGmgNiKc

Go to 16:20 and watch until about 17:30 and I explain what direction the ball joints go and what the adjustment does.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    I have a video on replacing ball joints here.

https://youtu.be/d79lGmgNiKc

Go to 16:20 and watch until about 17:30 and I explain what direction the ball joints go and what the adjustment does.
    Fantastic Thank you

Thats funny as can be I watched your video just before my mishap GREAT JOB I enjoyed it very much
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Safety should always be NUMBER 1 priority. Good you survived and glad to hear you free'd the bolt.
    terrylewisac likes this.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Mr Chuck, That bolt was a bugger for sure. I finally heated it up with the cutty torch and had my son get on the bolt simultaneously with the impact, nothing else was working until then. I did hose the rubber plate under spring with thermo gel to protect it.Worked well, thank goodness as ogts is out of stock to replace it if I burn't it.

Thread Information