Steering column rebuild questions
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: †0
Likes Likes: †0
Dislikes Dislikes: †0
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By opelspyder
  • 2 Post By dpre
  • 1 Post By Yellow73GT
  • 1 Post By dpre
  • 1 Post By T-Roy

Thread: Steering column rebuild questions

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steering column rebuild questions

Hello all,

Iím in the final stages of reassembling a column using various parts from my collection. They are from different years and have some slight differences between them, like wire color and number of wires. The new ignition switch i bought comes with a grey wire in the harness, which Iím assuming goes to a newer style ignition switch? Iím assuming that since one of my columns has a wire going alongside the lock cylinder assembly. What is the purpose of that grey wire? I donít see anywhere for it to go on the assembly Iíve put together. Also, out of three columns, two of them had a small, 3Ē black wire with ring terminals on each end. I didnít document that wire during disassembly so Iím at a loss as to where it goes. Does anyone know what that is for? Also, I canít find a good instruction on how to reassemble the horn ring (with the springs). If I bottom out the screws, there isnít any room for the mechanism to move and it would be ďonĒ permanently. What is the spacing for the ring or am I forgetting something in the process?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The small gray wire is for the key buzzer, and most locks from 70-73 should have a small corresponding wire attached to them. They get pulled off all the time though. A 1969 column and itís parts like the lock cylinder will not fit in later columns. Also wire colors change inside the column and it gets confusing. Like if I recall the green turns into brown/white and another wire for horn changed color. I believe it was corrected on later models to provide less confusion.
    So I simply pull out the gray wire from the new switch sleeving
    T-Roy, GTeglman and dpre like this.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Troy I rebuilt mine a couple of years ago and as Keith mentioned, the grey wire is for the buzzer that activates when the key is left in the ignition and the door is opened. I think most remove it because its annoying, as my wife always says. I like it because its original an unique or maybe I just like annoying my wife

There is a black/green, black/white and black/white/green wires that go to the turn signal switch. There is a black and red wire that goes to the ignition switch. If you have the electrical schematics they are helpful.

As far as the horn, I don't know if there is a specific depth for the screws, I have always just screwed them in only as far as necessary to hold the horn ring in place, but still space to push in and make contact.

Hope this helps and if I missed something or misled, someone will chime in and correct
    The Scifi Guy and T-Roy like this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Also, out of three columns, two of them had a small, 3” black wire with ring terminals on each end"
    without photo context or any idea of where you took it off from, I am going to make an "experience" guess and say that it sounds like a ground wire, and most likely just jumps from the column to the "chassis" (under dash where column attaches) as a means of making certain that the column IS grounded. Again, thats just a guess from the description you gave, based upon the many cars I have had that far apart to have seen a similar wire in quite a few, that served that same purpose.
    Last edited by Yellow73GT; 11-05-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    T-Roy likes this.
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Troy that black wire you are referring to is probably the ground wire that gets fastened to one of the bolts for the support bracket of the steering column.
    T-Roy likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Troy
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys!

I continued to surf around looking for pictures of columns and actually found exactly what I needed on Facebook of all places. There was a column for sale that had, you guessed it, the small black wire hanging off the lower end of the column. I was fairly sure thatís where it belonged due to the size of the ring terminals and the evidence of a toothed washer on one of the rings. Also, on the column, one of the mounting holes has a lack of scoring from a toothed washer, but the photo was the remaining proof.

I really appreciate the input!
    dpre likes this.

Thread Information