An adventure into my rear end - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: An adventure into my rear end

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^^^ LOL.... Yeah, I still have an old damaged timing cover from 1977! You want to hold on to old parts form these old cars if you can..... so much is no longer available. I somewhere lost a valve keeper a couple of weeks ago... 9 mm keepers are like hens' teeth..... and so rummaged through the old stash... bingo! I have piles for the '62 Dodge Dart, the Opels, the Mitsubishi Starion, even the Sabb 99.

Now you need a garage WITH storage.
    dpre and terrylewisac like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes sir the wife is on me about clearing up some space in the shed
    Not a bad idea as the boxes are stacking up on top the tool boxes and where ever they will fit
    Time get extras in the shed
    dpre likes this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like she sees the 'writing on the wall'... but it is like trying to stop the tide LOL
    dpre and terrylewisac like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its crazy the stuff we accumulate over the time we own the Opel
    Some of you have owned an Opel from original and have accumulated so
    much stuff, you can't even remember what you have or where it exactly
    is located.

I think I remember reading in some of the thousands of posts, some have
    inventoried and categorized their accumulated parts in a logical and easy
    method of location. That in it self is a huge accomplishment. I'm lucky to just
    get the parts in a box so there not scattered about.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of you have owned an Opel from original and have accumulated so much stuff, you can't even remember what you have or where it exactly is located.
    I made up a little rule a year or two ago:

"If you won't sort it, don't horde it"

The whole point of having a collection of stuff "just in case" is that when you need it, you can save some time and money by being able to use it.

I'm cheap, so, I keep and collect all kinds of things just in case, or because that's what I make things out of.

Let's say, a screw-together extension cord plug, for example.

I bought it for $0.50 at a garage sale. That's a great deal, normally they're $3-5.

But if the next time I have to replace the end on an extension cord, or someone I know does, I can't find where I put that plug, and I just end up driving down to the store and buying a new one anyway and paying full price... then what is the point? I might as well not have horded it.

In fact, with limited space, there is a balance between the amount of stuff you have and your ability to find the stuff you need. So adding more things makes every other item slightly more difficult to find and less useful. Eventually you can have so much stuff that you can't use any of it.

I helped a 65-year old friend move a few years back, and he was a hoarder. He had a Got-Junk truck scheduled for the end of the day for all the garbage and was going to move the rest himself (not far, 5 minute drive). He left everything until literally the day of the move to even start packing, then rushed and rushed and rushed until he had a false heart attack (an episode of "angina" only, thankfully, ambulance and etc though). As he left on the ambulance he left me in charge of the move (his wife and autistic son stayed at the house, but somehow he wanted me in charge, I think, entrusting me to not let her dispose of any of his important things).

I think we did something like 5 or 7 vanloads out of the bungalow and I literally couldn't tell the difference in the old house, yet just about the whole new house was full and running out of places to put things.

Anyway, it put things in perspective for me. Lots of people just think I collect useless junk because they don't even make or fix anything. So they don't understand why anyone would own a tool, or a part, or materials or anything. So it's easy to dismiss their opinion as ignorance. To them anything that didn't belong in a hotel room was apparently just junk. But, with my friend moving, he collected most of the same type of hobby stuff I liked to collect and for the same reasons. And yet, it was a clear demonstration of where I would be in a few decades if I didn't come up with some rules about whether I should have something or not. For him, I figured "Is he likely to ever use this before he dies?" was a good enough rule. Just, all kinds of junk and actual filth.

Little did I know, it seemed the reason he put me in charge, over his own wife, was because he expected my rule for what I should have let the Got-Junk truck to take to be "Nothing". He resented me for it, got petty about it, and eventually we stopped talking.

At his new place, he filled a double car garage with empty coke cans in giant bags. Filled to the rafters. I asked him why he didn't take them in for their deposit ($0.10/can). He grumbled about "Oh all those people do is steal from you and lie about how many you brought it, can't trust them at all." ... and I was thinking "... so... your solution is... even if that's true, to never take them back? Literally fill dozens of cubic yards of empty cans to save on the deposit that you'll never actually claim?" In fact, that was one of the few things he'd taken time to move before I got there. And I thought... you had time to move them, but not time to drop them off at the bottle depot... for money? What is difference between having them and throwing them out, if you're not going to claim the deposit?

Anyway, rambling now but, it was a useful experience to me.

Needed some switches for my speed converter the other day. I have a bin full of switches I've saved over the years because any time something brakes, I desolder the switches on it and throw them in the bin before I throw it out. I needed a switch, couldn't find the bin, and almost ordered a new one because I couldn't find them. Ditto for terminal blocks, I spent $15 on terminal blocks because I couldn't find my bin of them. Well, that's not the stuff I'd throw out, but, the stuff I have that makes it so I can't find that stuff I do want to keep needs to be thrown out, because that was kind of ridiculous.

Heck, the reason I even have my GT is because the previous owner was a hoarder, packed 3 of them into the garage with about a 1/4" to spare, had parts everywhere, and all but goat trails through the house with boxes stacked to the ceiling. When he passed away his brother discovered what he was in for and said he just wanted the garage empty and gone, offer him scrap metal prices for the cars but he wants it all gone.

Don't hoard it if you won't sort it.
    Bill Hoffmann and dpre like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Matt for the end of day smile. It is like when you move and 10 years later you have boxes you haven't opened. The rule is to throw the box out because the minute you open it you will spend the rest of the day admiring your "stuff" and the box goes back to storage for another 10 years.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a good philosophy Matt By the way, do you have an original Opel GT radio in all your Opel stuff???

In particular, one that would have the saying written across the face "Opel Gt Radio by Delco" oh and preferably
    one that works.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    do you have an original Opel GT radio in all your Opel stuff??? In particular, one that would have the saying written across the face "Opel Gt Radio by Delco"
    No, mine says "Kadett Radio by Delco". No idea if it works. It was in the car that was being driven up until it was too rusted. The other car might have already had the radio taken out of the instrument cluster.

Whyfor?
    Last edited by MattsAwesomeStuff; 6 Days Ago at 06:13 PM.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A little off topic but so much truth to it
    My closest friend (was like a dad to me) passed recently and he was the type to say I never take anything back to the store unless it needs replaced and I don't throw anything away that still MAY have a use or some value.
    Oddly enough If I ever needed something somehow he would have it. Shoot he had schnitt that was so old I had to ask what the heck it was as I'd never seen anything like it
    Unfortunately all his collecting was to his satisfaction only and when he passed the family took anything that could be scrapped to the recycle yard everything else went into 4, 30 yard dumpsters
    I do my best to keep things contained and organized funny though some things don't quite go with anything else and get's thrown into somewhere most of the time I remember where.
    I have a 6 month rule if I haven't touched or used it whether in part or whole it's got to go
    This doesn't include tools, gt parts, work related stuff, My wife's stuff, my kids stuff, or collectibles IE antique black powder guns ect.
    HOWEVER I moved to the house I'm in now 3 yrs ago and haven't purged since I think it's time
    Industrial waste technicians aren't going to be happy with me
    Thanks Matt I'll tell them it's your fault LOL
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all we're finally getting to put some stuff back together this past weekend
    The torque tube assembly was pretty fun to get back together without scratching it up
    I had to get creative to get the upper and lower stops in and instead of using a screw driver to put the assembly together I probably should have used a pickle fork oh well it's together at any rate
    I did have to file the lower stop down a hair as it was cut crooked leaving one edge to long to push in
    And interesting to me as the larger trail arm bushings on one I couldn't get to bottom out as if they were just a smidgen to long so when I push one side in it pops the other out a bit so I may need to pull one out and shave a hair but all the bushings went in pretty smoothly
    Finished the final torque on the rear diff pan at 7 last night
    So now I'm ready to tackle the pinion seal? any advice on removing and replacing?
    I have tried finding this info in the forum but to no success, not sure if it's just bedded into another thread or I'm searching improperly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kwschumm and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice Terry, beautiful work You are certainly making progress, nicely done
    terrylewisac likes this.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps you should take the axle to a rear end shop. The job needs a special tool, a torsiometer to be done right. When you loosen the pinion nut, you have to use a new crush sleeve . A crush sleeve works like a spring, except that it won't return to original thickness after being torqued. The pinion nut is tightened until the torsiometer shows the right preload. Like tightening a front wheel bearing, except that it is even more critical to get the right preload. A wrong preload will ruin the pinion bearings. With skill and luck it can be possible to use the original crush sleeve but it is a job for the experienced.
    https://www.o-t-r.de/shop/gt/spannri...ebskegelrad-5/
    crush sleeve
    terrylewisac likes this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Commodaren,
    I guess I'm really confused I thought the outer pinion seal was a glorified gasket/ring you pop out and press a new in
    Are saying that in order to replace this outer pinion seal I have to do all of this ( new crush sleeve and mess with the pinion nut?
    Some how this doesn't sound right to me.
    And if that is the case well hot ball of wax on that idea
    Commodåren likes this.

Real Name
    John
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Remove old seal and lube the inside of the seal with grease (or diff. gear oil) center the seal and tap in then lube (gear oil) the torque-tube shaft for the install.
    No you do not need to remove the pinion nut to install this seal.
    Guyopel
    I have not failed - I've merely found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    ---Thomas Edison
    It's amazing what God lets man get away with when lightning is so cheap. Mark Twain

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by guyopel View Post
    Remove old seal and lube the inside of the seal with grease (or diff. gear oil) center the seal and tap in then lube (gear oil) the torque-tube shaft for the install.
    No you do not need to remove the pinion nut to install this seal.
    You are absolutely correct, my fingers were faster than my brain. I was thinking of my Commodore rear end with a conventional yoke that sits behind the pinion nut.
    guyopel and terrylewisac like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    Thank you Commodaren,
    I guess I'm really confused I thought the outer pinion seal was a glorified gasket/ring you pop out and press a new in
    Are saying that in order to replace this outer pinion seal I have to do all of this ( new crush sleeve and mess with the pinion nut?
    Some how this doesn't sound right to me.
    And if that is the case well hot ball of wax on that idea
    No, you don't have to loosen the pinion nut, I goofed it up by thinking of my own rear end adventure, sorry for that. To my defense I must say that I haven't fiddled with torque tube rears for 20 years.
    terrylewisac likes this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries Thank you for the clarification As I was fixing to post a pic of it
    And after being out there looking at it I had a feeling you were thinking of something else

SO now that we understand each other Is there A trick to getting the old one out?
    Obviously I probably don't have the correct tool for removal but I would think I have enough in my arsenal to compensate
    Thank you in advance

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OH MY GOODNESS,
    over thinker at work here
    that was a piece a cake
    don't no why I was thinking I had to have some special magical seal puller

Feel free to call me a turd I'll except it
    I appreciate all of you helping me learn as I go your help is priceless

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads

time to reinstall

Good Morning everyone,
    I have been reading the service manual all morning to get a grip on procedure and torque values
    I believe my son and I are ready to get this little bugger back together.

ONE PROBLEM I can't find any mention of the torque tube to differential torque value
    It leaves me with install info on how it's installed but no mention of how tight/torque for the 4 allen style bolts to be tightened to
    Am I reading over it some how?
    Does anyone have this info?
    Thank you in advance for your efforts

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not in my 50 series FSM either.

Standard torques:
    If 10 mm, then 36-40 ft lbs.
    If 8 mm, then 15-18 ft lbs.

You can probably go a bit more as I suspect these are pretty hard bolts, and the cast iron of the housing will take even more torque than the bolts will handle. Lock washers IIRC...?? Blue loctite won't hurt either.
    terrylewisac likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information