An adventure into my rear end
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: An adventure into my rear end

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads

An adventure into my rear end

Hello all,
    Here we go I've stepped way out of my comfort zone and will be running out of it soon
    My son and I pulled the rear end out yesterday evening
    And boy am I glad we did I had no Idea just how much wrong was going on
    All the rubbers were worse for wear for sure from the rear axle to the torque tube support
    I'm surprised the u joint hadn't fell apart already all the nuts weren't but barely finger tight and the u bolts I could shake around by hand
    Who ever worked on it before never bent the tabs over to lock in the nuts
    I figure we will work the rear end build and when ready to go in we will start on the transmission pull ( so we don't have to much apart at once and it becomes an over whelming scenario)
    I have to say we were both shocked at how small the drive shaft/propeller actually is.
    I hope us pulling the drive shaft out of the trans isn't a problem when it's time to put it back in
    I assume the thrust spring will stay in position when we push the shaft back in?
    any hoo I'm excited to be tackling this stuff all though a bit timid I feel pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    kwschumm and MikeNotigan like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry all Opel owners eventually have to check their rear ends I will say this, you are certainly fearless
    and are not timid about jumping in and going for it

Smart move in restoring your rear end, it does appear to need some TLC. The way you restored your front suspension,
    this will be no problem. I look forward to watching your progress and seeing the final product.

Good luck

terrylewisac likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Moderators may have a problem with the title.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Tennessean Site Supporter hrcollinsjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Harold Collins
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercougary View Post
    Yep, I did have to check it out.

Harold
    dsmith, soybean, GTeglman and 2 others like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The title....

... A night of a Taco Bell binge.

I will add a word of caution.
    When you remove the center shaft from the torque tube, make sure to have it aligned properly. They have a way of vibrating if installed in a different clock position.
    GTeglman, dpre and terrylewisac like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    Hello all,
    Here we go I've stepped way out of my comfort zone and will be running out of it soon
    All the rubbers were worse for wear for sure from the rear axle to the torque tube support
    I'm surprised the u joint hadn't fell apart already all the nuts weren't but barely finger tight and the u bolts I could shake around by hand
    I figure we will work the rear end build and when ready to go in we will start on the transmission pull ( so we don't have to much apart at once and it becomes an over whelming scenario)
    I have to say we were both shocked at how small the drive shaft/propeller actually is.
    I hope us pulling the drive shaft out of the trans isn't a problem when it's time to put it back in
    I assume the thrust spring will stay in position when we push the shaft back in?
    any hoo I'm excited to be tackling this stuff all though a bit timid I feel pretty good.
    I'm not getting why your so timid to do any kind of work or upgrades on your Gt. Case and point, you just removed your entire rear end assembly, and all it took was removing a few bolts and nuts.
    Last edited by Vincent; 1 Week Ago at 03:02 PM.
    1971 Opel GT - full rotisserie restoration - painted modern corvette yellow -

Orig1.9L > 2L short block, 45 & 36mm valves, ported head, Isky OR-66 hyd cam, ported welded tented intake, Weber 38 dges, pertronix ignition, aluminum flywheel with S-10 clutch, 4 speed trans . Dual core Honda radiator, with 14" Permacool fan. Stock wheels & trim, 205 60 R13 BFgoodrich Radial t/a tires, 1" lowing front spring, 3/4 front, and 5/8 rear stabilizer bars.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    The title....

... A night of a Taco Bell binge.

I will add a word of caution.
    When you remove the center shaft from the torque tube, make sure to have it aligned properly. They have a way of vibrating if installed in a different clock position.
    Thank you I will certainly adhere to that .
    I also marked the propeller and drive shaft (one side) to ensure they go back together the same as we pulled them apart.
    we got all the bushings out was much easier than I thought it would be
    Was kinda surprised to still see the opel lettering stamped in the rubber Makes me wonder if there the original 46 yr old bushing's
    tealcarver and dpre like this.
    If you make it through an entire day and learned nothing you weren't paying attention

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I'm not getting why your so timid to do any kind of work or upgrades on Gt. Case and point, you just removed your entire rear end assembly, and all it took was removing a few bolts and nuts.
    Well 1 I'm by no means a mechanic and tend to over do or over think things sometimes
    And then there's the, it has to be as perfect as I can possibly get it thing of mine
    I don't mind a little take pride in what you hide but I'm not a throw that schnittt in there and call it a day kinda guy
    If I think I may have screwed something up it will be on my mind until it's fixed right or confirmed it wasn't a problem to begin with
    Minor repairs I take no issue with but this stuff is a new venture for my son and I and I worry I'll forget something or totally screw something up
    tealcarver, Paul M and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercougary View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA
    I was wondering if & when someone would take issue with it
    It didn't hit me either how it's face value sounds until I read it
    Either way it's still pretty funny and we all know what I'm talking about

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you caught those loose u-bolt nuts, and the broken torque tube biscuits.

I assume you will remove the rear cover an inspect? Don't take anything apart in side unless you intend to learn how to do that and do it properly; diff assembly and installation is a special area that takes tools and knowledge; done wrong and you just wasted you rear gears in short order.

IIRC, you have a new pinion seal? Don't start into that unless and until you know what to do, and how to do it, 100%. If they are not leaking, I don't mess with that area.
    soybean, tealcarver, dpre and 1 others like this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Manta Rallier View Post
    Glad you caught those loose u-bolt nuts, and the broken torque tube biscuits.

I assume you will remove the rear cover an inspect? Don't take anything apart in side unless you intend to learn how to do that and do it properly; diff assembly and installation is a special area that takes tools and knowledge; done wrong and you just wasted you rear gears in short order.

IIRC, you have a new pinion seal? Don't start into that unless and until you know what to do, and how to do it, 100%. If they are not leaking, I don't mess with that area.
    Thank you Mr. Manta
    I do have a new seal and yes the old one in it leaks didn't know it leaked until the rear end was coming out and oil was puddling pretty good once tilted forward a bit
    I am going to order a new gasket so I can pull the back, so I may look
    I feel the gears are in good shape as I replaced the lube about a month ago just to see the condition of the existing fluid and it was actually better than I was anticipating not clumpy or chunks of stuff coming out but was quite dark
    we're still pulling stuff apart and cleaning right now but will need advise on that seal for sure
    As far as messing with the gears NO SIR WAY OUTA MY LEAGUE
    tealcarver likes this.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, just don't mess around with the nut on the pinion shaft. Sounds good on the gear oil. Did you pull off the rear cover? That is easy to do and replace and a good inspection step.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't got there yet Mr. Manta
    We were pulling and rough cleaning as we went along
    No messing with the pinion nut pulled torque tube and that's all
    Over all I think things look pretty darn good and relatively (I think) pretty clean nothing looks badly worn or chipped and everything seemed quite snug when detaching
    I had to hit the diff with degreaser and had my son pressure wash all the left over cake of grease off with the pinion side down so no water got in and taped off the vent tube as a precaution
    Pics are below tell me what you think.
    I think I've gotten pretty lucky thus far
    Attached Images Attached Images
    soybean and dpre like this.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the better toque tube discussions with excellent pictures:
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...ml#post1096626
    dpre and terrylewisac like this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by terrylewisac View Post
    Hello all,
    Terry, I had to look at the title a couple times to make sure I was reading it right. I guess you will be on the moderator's list for a while.

Bob
    soybean, dpre and terrylewisac like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    An adventure?

Into your rear end?

I've seen this Hobbit-inspired episode before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7Y7G4mb60

Don't forget your helmet-torch. Godspeed.
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Paul
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Proctologist says, "On a clear day one can see forever!"

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    One of the better toque tube discussions with excellent pictures:
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...ml#post1096626
    Lindsay Thank you Thank you
    I knew there was something in here about this but couldn't find it
    I would have not thought or seen the notch on the yoke had I not seen this
    Thank you again
    dpre likes this.

Real Name
    Terry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Terry, I had to look at the title a couple times to make sure I was reading it right. I guess you will be on the moderator's list for a while.

Bob
    I hope not the naughty list It was not intentionally put out the way it sounds or the direction it sounds
    Pretty sure I've read much worse around here
    Of course after the fact it is rather comical the play on words
    tealcarver, Commodåren and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Terry I'm like you, not a mechanic by trade, just a want to be I to like not to screw anything
    up and a lot of this restoration is new territory. I probably over analyze more than the average Opel
    owner

From what I have seen thus far, you and your son are doing a great job, especially with asking
    lots of questions. Shoot, I'm learning from what you ask and get answers from this awesome
    group of experienced Opel owners
    tealcarver likes this.

Keep on Opeling rubber side down and shiny side up
    Make a difference and help someone today
    Dan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information