GT Tires
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: GT Tires

  1. #1
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    16
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    GT Tires

    I'm looking for a set of tires for my 69 GT and am wondering what the best size and brand is for my car.(steel rims stock)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    1000 Post Club tealcarver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada
    Posts
    1,389
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Worker: From what I understand 13" (stock tires) are getting hard to find. I have 16" mags and tires. This might be a good time to the change, if you have a few bucks you want to spend on your GT. I tried to get 15", no one had them. The mags are not cheap, but they sure make a difference on the looks. Maybe someone on the forum here, has a link to get 13" tires, good luck on your project.

    Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

  4. #3
    Can Opeler Knorm65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,124
    Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Tires

    The 13” wheel options are getting easier and easier to find! I made this list a year or two ago and there are already more options I need to add. 185-70-r13 is the most common size opelers like to upgrade to. You can fit 205-60-13 though
    The Ultimate List of 13" Tires for Stock Wheels
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

    I’m a big fan of the Perelli CN36 and the Vredstein Sprint tires these days for our GTs. Very period correct.
    Last edited by Knorm65; 04-18-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Bill Hoffmann likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member Michael A. Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Wells, Maine
    Posts
    495
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I have these on my car -- they seem to work fine...

    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...70&diameter=13

  7. #5
    Spaceman GTeglman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    318
    Real Name
    Anders Teglman
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    I’m a big fan of the Perelli CN36 and the Vredstein Sprint tires these days for our GTs. Very period correct.
    @Knorm65, I'm with you all the way. @Worker23, I run on Pirelli CN36 (175/70/R13), not only are they period correct and looks fabulous, they have excellent dry weather performance and really suits the driving characteristics of our beloved Opel GT's. Downsides? Yes! They can be a little "sketchy" in wet conditions, and no doubt that modern tires (thread wise) will out perform them if it's pouring down from above. if you choose 175/70/R13 your speedometer will not be to much of the chart, as they are very close to the same circumference as the original 165/85/R13.

    https://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/n...-classic-cars/

    Cheers

  8. #6
    1000 Post Club kwschumm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,899
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    For 13" period correct I'd go with Pirelli 185/70r13 CN36 Cinturatos. The stock 165-13s were too little tire for the car.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

  9. #7
    Opeler SpringGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,316
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    0
    For period correct tires, Coker Tire still makes the Michelin XAS and Michelin XWS tires in 13" sizes. However, at ~$200 and $300 per tire, respectively, they are kinda pricy.

    https://www.cokertire.com/tires/bran...helin-xas.html
    Last edited by SpringGT; 04-18-2019 at 03:09 PM.

  10. #8
    2000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    2,492
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeglman View Post
    @Knorm65, I'm with you all the way. @Worker23, I run on Pirelli CN36 (175/70/R13), not only are they period correct and looks fabulous, they have excellent dry weather performance and really suits the driving characteristics of our beloved Opel GT's. Downsides? Yes! They can be a little "sketchy" in wet conditions, and no doubt that modern tires (thread wise) will out perform them if it's pouring down from above. if you choose 175/70/R13 your speedometer will not be to much off the chart, as they are very close to the same circumference as the original 165/85/R13.

    https://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/n...-classic-cars/

    Cheers
    Actually, the original speedometer was about 3% "fast" at 60 mph (it read 60 at an actual 58 mph) so the 185-70 is a better match than the 175-70 (which is almost 6% MORE in error). To correct the speedometer error would take a 215-70 or a 200-75. I don't think either of those would still look period correct. Did the GT's originally come with radial tires? If not, (I can't say for sure), I think that running radial tires also adds to the error as tire diameter growth at speed is less than a "conventional" tire so the actual diameter grows less and the circumference is smaller yet. But who really cares? If you are going to "peg" your speedo, you need all the help you can get!

    Doug

  11. #9
    Senior Member GTRoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cave Creek AZ
    Posts
    568
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Another Option

    Last year I realized that 2 of my tires were 24 years old, and the other 2 were 12 years old.
    So I started to shop and discovered that 13 inch tires were rare, 175/80 13, the size I ran for 24 years, seemed extinct .

    But in desperation I checked Walmart's website and found these Milestar Touring SLE 175/80 R 13 .
    Under $50 each, bought 4 ,mount and balance at Big O $20 each, gave old tires to a friend for storage cars.

    My aim is to keep my '69 1.1 GT looking 'original' and I like the 80 series that fill the wheel wells better than 70s do .
    I'm not a purist that spends $300 for a tire with a period correct tire tread, and I'm not looking for a 40-50 series 'performance' tire.
    ... btw GT painted several years ago, still has original from factory paint on wheels.

    When I have more road miles I will report back. Going to Penske's Cars & Coffee this Saturday, but its only about 15 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #10
    Member Michael A. Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Wells, Maine
    Posts
    495
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    Actually, the original speedometer was about 3% "fast" at 60 mph (it read 60 at an actual 58 mph) so the 185-70 is a better match than the 175-70 (which is almost 6% MORE in error). To correct the speedometer error would take a 215-70 or a 200-75. I don't think either of those would still look period correct. Did the GT's originally come with radial tires? If not, (I can't say for sure), I think that running radial tires also adds to the error as tire diameter growth at speed is less than a "conventional" tire so the actual diameter grows less and the circumference is smaller yet. But who really cares? If you are going to "peg" your speedo, you need all the help you can get!

    Doug
    My 1970, purchased new from the dealer (it had been the dealer's demonstrator) came from the factory with radials. Wish I had a 2019 nickel for every time someone told me the tires looked low on air...

  13. #11
    Can Opeler Knorm65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,124
    Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Tires

    Edit: GTRoy your preferred 175-80-13 tire size is a bit more tricky. There are several winter only options, but I only found a handful of all seasons. Here’s my favorite. It can have a white wall or black wall
    https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...-ms775/p/11778


    13” tires are not rare at all for the GT. The problem is it’s nearly impossible to search for them directly.

    If you like the smaller 175-70-13 size here are several options from well known brands. Added some other 13” sizes in here too

    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...ng-a-s/p/31829

    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...s-ta11/p/25598

    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...awp-ii/p/39044

    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...x-rt43/p/18887

    https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...t-h735/p/44113

    https://www.summitracing.com/search/...diameter/13-in

    https://www.summitracing.com/search/.../passenger-car

    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes...sp?diameter=13
    Last edited by Knorm65; 04-18-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

  14. #12
    Senior Member GTRoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cave Creek AZ
    Posts
    568
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Kyler, Good find at Direct Tire.... I checked with them last year when I was shopping ( they have a store on Scottsdale Rd less than 10 miles from me ).
    But at that time they didn't list or admit to having 175/80 13. Yes 70 series not so rare, but I wanted 80s for reasons I explained, Looks, and slightly more road speed per RPM .

    And Walmart was the ONLY place I could find them, ...now Discount Tire apparently has the same Milestar , See my pics in previous post.
    This GT is mostly a local car show driver, in the past I have made more than a few 200 - 400 mile round trip drives, but most I go to now with GT are closer to home.

    I realize that 80 series tires are not 'fashionable' now, and I am aware of the advantages of lower profile tires, and some of the disadvantages of going too low.
    My current Regal has Bridgstone Turanza 235/50 R 18 tires. Good control. secure feeling.....won't be able to replace those for $ 50.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GTRoy; 04-18-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Knorm65 likes this.

  15. #13
    Can Opeler Knorm65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,124
    Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    GTroy your reasons for wanting 80 series tires are perfectly sound.

    Tire height definitely makes a difference. I run 225-45-r13 on my GT on week’s that I take it to the track. It’s over a 10% difference in RPM!
    60mph on the speedo is just a smidge over 50 real mph lol.

    My GT is lowered (and has the giant brick of the 1.9L vs your 1.1L in the front) to make the 185-70-r13 fit fine. But with stock height the 175-80 looks better.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

  16. #14
    Detritus Maximus opelbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    2,000
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    I have these on my car -- they seem to work fine...

    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...70&diameter=13

    Great tires! Pretty good in the rain, too. I had them on my GT and also on the 97 Protégé I drove for 6 years or so. No complaints whatsoever.
    "No, it's not fiberglass."
    "No, the motor is not in the back."
    "No, your friend in high school did not 'peg' his speedometer."

  17. #15
    OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,515
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    .... I like the 80 series that fill the wheel wells better than 70s do
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    GTroy your reasons for wanting 80 series tires are perfectly sound.

    Tire height definitely makes a difference. I run 225-45-r13 on my GT on week’s that I take it to the track. It’s over a 10% difference in RPM!
    60mph on the speedo is just a smidge over 50 real mph lol.

    My GT is lowered (and has the giant brick of the 1.9L vs your 1.1L in the front) to make the 185-70-r13 fit fine. But with stock height the 175-80 looks better.
    Umm, so you do both know that a 165/80-13 tire is almost EXACTLY the same tire diameter, and therefore the same total AND sidewall height, as a 185/70-13, right? The 185/70 is merely 20 mm wider. Just saying....
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

  18. #16
    Can Opeler Knorm65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,124
    Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilford View Post
    Umm, so you do both know that a 165/80-13 tire is almost EXACTLY the same tire diameter, and therefore the same total AND sidewall height, as a 185/70-13, right? The 185/70 is merely 20 mm wider. Just saying....
    Yes we are well aware. It’s written in my tire thread. The extra 10-20mm makes a difference in looks.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

  19. #17
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    165R13 is the same as 165/80R13. However a modern tyre wont handle as well on a classic car. it has the wrong carcass designed to compliment a different kind of chassis design. the Michelin XAS is by far the best 165R13 for an Opel GT

    the low profile alternative to a 165R13 is a 185/70R13. again fitting a period tyre will handle far better than a modern tyre design. the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 https://www.lucasclassictires.com/18...857013CN36.htm (Lucas Antique Tires are the specialist dealer in the US) The CN36 is i beleive the only period tyre.

  20. #18
    Opeler SpringGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,316
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
    165R13 is the same as 165/80R13. However a modern tyre wont handle as well on a classic car. it has the wrong carcass designed to compliment a different kind of chassis design. the Michelin XAS is by far the best 165R13 for an Opel GT

    the low profile alternative to a 165R13 is a 185/70R13. again fitting a period tyre will handle far better than a modern tyre design. the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 https://www.lucasclassictires.com/18...857013CN36.htm (Lucas Antique Tires are the specialist dealer in the US) The CN36 is i beleive the only period tyre.



    Coker Tire still has the Michelin XAS tires.

    https://www.cokertire.com/165hr14-michelin-xas.html

  21. #19
    OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,515
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    [/B][/U]


    Coker Tire still has the Michelin XAS tires.

    https://www.cokertire.com/165hr14-michelin-xas.html
    https://www.cokertire.com/tires/165h...in-xas-ff.html

    or, if money is no object...

    https://www.cokertire.com/tires/185-...helin-xdx.html
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

  22. #20
    What's a Nopel? Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    New Joisey
    Posts
    337
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I love my redlines...

    https://www.cokertire.com/p185-70r13...ne-radial.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    50 years and counting. GT back on the Road 10/21/2014!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Finally, New Rims & Tires for my 73' GT
      By OneAngryDwrf in forum 3D - Wheels and Tires
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM
    2. New Wheels & Tires for my GT... HELP
      By bgdowski in forum 3D - Wheels and Tires
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
    3. Opel GT Winter Tires
      By Sparky73 in forum 3D - Wheels and Tires
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 11-08-2007, 10:34 PM
    4. wide tires on back of a Opel GT!
      By opel kid in forum 3D - Wheels and Tires
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 01-03-2007, 02:39 PM
    5. Snow Tires for the GT
      By JGard18 in forum 3D - Wheels and Tires
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 12-10-2002, 05:49 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •