Opel GT Forum banner

Cam Timing Reduction Due to Head Shaving

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Paul 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So we got .080" cut off the head, does anyone know how many degrees this retards the cam? Also by doing the cam gear flip and redrilling how much will it advance the timing? Thanks for the help guys!!!!!

#2 ·
I strongly suggest you use the search engine here to find your answer, this subject gets talked about a lot.

A search for 'Cam timing' shows these results: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=961735

However this thread should tell you all you need to know.

PS, best to first use the search for an answer, then if you can't find it, inquire in the appropriate forum so as to not bring the moderator's wrath down on you!

Thanks,
Bob

#4 ·
I strongly suggest you use the search engine here to find your answer, this subject gets talked about a lot.

PS, best to first use the search for an answer, then if you can't find it, inquire in the appropriate forum so as to not bring the moderator's wrath down on you!

Thanks,
Bob
With that being said, your question looks somewhat redundant to me. I'm inclined give you time to review the links Bob has posted along with giving you time to follow his suggestion of using the search feature on our site and then deleting your post/thread, allowing you to repost in the appropriate thread IF you need further clarification to your question.

Harold

P.S. Welcome to the forum and please do post an introduction. :D

#5 · (Edited)
MODERATOR NOTE: Thread moved to 6A Engine Mechanical Forum.
Welcome to the best classic Opel site in the world. It got to be that way the care and passion of how we run the site. Newbies usually get cut some slack, but you seem to have tightened the rope in your first-ever post. As the other Moderators have suggested, welcome to the site, but please always:
1) search BEFORE you start a thread,
2) use readable font and spelling in threads (no need to "yell" with caps and bold) and
3) ALWAYS look for the relevant Forum to start a thread if you can't find a thread with either the answer you seek or one that you can't add on to (which is ALWAYS preferred to starting a new thread)
Bob seems to have edited your thread for the font issues, and provided guidance as to where to look. I have moved it to the relevant Forum.

For more on Forum etiquette, please watch the clip at

Thanks in advance for your consideration

#6 ·
I was recently searching for head and cam timing info. and ran across a post that gave an exact figure for cam timing change per so many thousands of an inch of head shaving.

If I run across it again I'll post it. I think that Rallybob posted it. It's probably in the thread link that he provided.

One problem with the search feature is that a standard search with just 2 or maybe 3 terms could return hundreds of hits which most people don't have the time to wade through. This is partly because people title their threads something like "Whazzup?" instead of something much more precise and searchable by thread topic.

#7 ·
I was recently searching for head and cam timing info. and ran across a post that gave an exact figure for cam timing change per so many thousands of an inch of head shaving.
Be careful with this it's just a guide line.
Theres sooo many variables that also comes into play.
Such as is the keyway on the crank correct,angle milled or flat milled head,
crank and cam sprocket wear,block decking the list goes on and on.

#9 · (Edited)
That is a ballpark figure, and it will certainly get you *close*. You don't really know until you measure the cam timing. I use this number to help choose an offset bushing initially, then I measure the actual cam timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.