crank pulley problem
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: crank pulley problem

Opel Junkie
    Downloads
    Uploads

crank pulley problem

hello all.

i was recently in need of a replacement crank pulley...the one i had was mangled and it wobbled to beat the band. i got a replacement from ksgt in lane, kansas, but it turns out that the one he had doesn't work on my car. it has two sheaves, instead of the one sheave that i need.

is this a pulley out of an a/c car? must be, unless there are power steering or air pump options on these cars.

anyway, i guess i need another pulley. the one i am looking for is a single sheave. the one i have looks like stamped steel and spot welded together. can anyone help me??

thanks

mike
    GM products are not Opels!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gene
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike;
    I have one, for sure, but, might be using it on my Wife's Sportwagon. It originally had a/c and most of it was removed before I bought it. I might have another one on a spare motor at my Mom's, but, it'll be this weekend before I can check.
    "Yes, I do have a rifle rack in my Sportwagon"

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it were me i would look at the spacing. If it was right I'd use it. I'm not aware of any reason you have to have a belt there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Junkie
    Downloads
    Uploads

spacing

i guess i should have mentioned this...the problem with the 2 sheaves is the spacing. the smaller second sheave pushes the main sheave forward about 1/2", enough to make alignment impossible. the single sheave model is the one i need for correct spacing.

mike

Have Opel, Will Travel oldopelguy's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

fan

The AC pulley sticks so far out that it hits the back edge of the fan. Unfortunatly there is no good way to move the fan as a spacer would push it into the radiator. Some models, like my Kadett, used regular fans with the back edge of each blade trimmed for clearance, and others used a different fan alltogether.
    Lots of Opels, for a long time.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On eBay right now, 2 days left with no bids, and a $9.99 starting price. I bought one from OGTS, and Gil charged me $35, so the price is right

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38656
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Cunning Linguist Site Supporter tekenaar's Avatar
    Real Name
    Otto
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: crank pulley . . . 2 known twin pulley types

Originally posted by mjewell
    hello all.

i was recently in need of a replacement crank pulley...the one i had was mangled and it wobbled to beat the band. i got a replacement from ksgt in lane, kansas, but it turns out that the one he had doesn't work on my car. it has two sheaves, instead of the one sheave that i need.

is this a pulley out of an a/c car? must be, unless there are power steering or air pump options on these cars.

anyway, i guess i need another pulley. the one i am looking for is a single sheave. the one i have looks like stamped steel and spot welded together. can anyone help me??

thanks

mike
    There were two types of twin crank pulleys used, one for dealer-installed A/C, both pulleys the same diameter, and one from the factory for a smog air pump, front pulley is the same size as single pulley and drives WP and alternator while rear pulley is smaller and drives smog pump on passenger side of engine.

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
    1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
    1970: '73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
    1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
    2000: '09 Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage 2" Turbo 5S 3.73P

"De inimico non tantum loquaris male, sed cogites."

Opel Junkie
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that makes the one i have a smog pulley...the inner sheave is a smaller diameter. i'd gladly trade it for a single, any day!!

Thread Information