Opel GT Forum banner

Electric rad fan recommendations

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Knorm65 
#1 ·
Eh Gt owners. Just wondering what electric fans people are happy with. I'm assuming pushers are what people are using but would like specifics. I have one of Gils aluminum radiators and a 1.9 upgraded to 2.0 with combo cam and bigger valves. Thanks for any advice.

#7 · (Edited)
I believe mine is a 14" Fan. ( I'll post M/N) At the time I had seen the Ebay Fans,,, but at that time with my Luck , I decided to Go with a Brand Name like Hayden or Dorman, Derale, Something I can replace.. in a moments noticed in case of emergency as I had taken off the Cooling fan removed from the water pump engine.. and the Electric Fan was the only Main Cooling Fan.. I purchased mine from Auto Zone. I works Great! I have a similar set up as kwilford...

Add Angle to the bottom of fan base, mark and drill holes, than fit and mark and drill two holes in bottom of the enclosure frame inside GT, mark and drill two top holes
PJ. has a nicer set up that the fan can pop out in 2 minutes to service the battery ..etc.. am not so LucKy...LOL

Mine fan is larger and doesn't take much to cool,, am also have a High output Alt too..:yup:

shown German Radiator with Thermostat snap switch

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I bought an eBay 14" electric fan, 2550 cfm, I believe the same as PJ installed in his 2.4. Cheap and works great. I bought two thinking one would go into the Garage Find GT, but Sterling Rempel's GT needed it more than the GFGT, and I sold the GFGT a couple of months ago, so that issue was moot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x14-Elect...sible-Radiator-Kit-12V-for-Truck/282569059902

I used a Derale fan temp controller similar to this (I simply soldered the brass sensor fitting to the bottom rad tank, so that isn't an option for an aluminum rad), and it is set up to run whenever the rad temp (180 F) calls for the fan (hot from the battery, although I have a bypass that allows the fan to only run when the ignition is on):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-Eng...497562&hash=item51feaa9fe6:g:zLsAAOSwaqlc3C58

I devised a very good method of installing the fan as a pusher (not enough room between the water pump pulley and the radiator), which I have used on mine and Sterling's GT's. I installed two captive M5 bolts in thread-serts from below that stick up and holds the fan base, and then two M6 thread-serts in the rad support to bolt the fan to. Two bolts to undo and the fan slides right out.

Here are some photos:

HTH

Attachments

#6 ·
I bought an eBay 14" electric fan, 2550 cfm, I believe the same as PJ installed in his 2.4. Cheap and works great. I bought two thinking one would go into the Garage Find GT, but Sterling Rempel's GT needed it more than the GFGT, and I sold the GFGT a couple of months ago, so that issue was moot:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x14-Elect...sible-Radiator-Kit-12V-for-Truck/282569059902

I used a Derale fan temp controller similar to this (I simply soldered the brass sensor fitting to the bottom rad tank, so that isn't an option for an aluminum rad), and it is set up to run whenever the rad temp (180 F) calls for the fan (hot from the battery, although I have a bypass that allows the fan to only run when the ignition is on):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-Eng...497562&hash=item51feaa9fe6:g:zLsAAOSwaqlc3C58

I devised a very good method of installing the fan as a pusher (not enough room between the water pump pulley and the radiator), which I have used on mine and Sterling's GT's. I installed two captive M6 bolts in thread-serts from below that stick up and holds the fan base, and then two M6 thread-serts in the rad support to bolt the fan to. Two bolts to undo and the fan slides right out.

Here are some photos:

HTH
Yeah, that's the relatively new kind of inexpensive fan that PJ and I use. They're really excellent. Blow like a tornado. I have a box around my battery that ends up pressing on the grill of the fan and keeps the lower part of the fan pressed against the radiator, so I only need the 2 bolts on the ears at the top. Basically, it comes in and out of the car like Keith's: Remove 2 bolts and it slides right out.

:yup:

#9 ·
14" Perma cool...works excellent

Attachments

#11 ·
I bought a Derail fan from Summit Racing. My buddy was in charge of the place, and I asked him what would be the fan for the GT. He replied that a pusher would be best. Can't remember for sure, but I think is 14 inches. I have the OGTS aluminum radiator. Nice when it stops the fan may keep going for a couple minutes to cool it down. I have a 2.4 Opel engine and the fan has never let me down.

Bob

#12 · (Edited)
14" Mr. Gasket from JEGS is in my car, it is exactly the correct height.

Attachments

Reactions: soybean (R.I.P.)
#14 · (Edited)
Oh wow! I ran a 10 amp fuse on my 14" Permacool fan for a 300 miles. It did eventually blow the fuse, but I was surprised a 10 amp fuse handled it at all!!!!

#18 ·
Here is a picture of the Derail fan that I put in my GT. It comes with a fuse in the control box that screws on to the inside of the engine compartment. I have never blown a fuse with this set up, really happy with it. It's a 14 inch, pusher. I forget how much air it pushes, but it was pretty impressive.

Bob

Attachments

#20 ·
I used to have the 13” flexolite fan that many of us use. I switched to a 7” fan this summer and it’s done great. It has done an exceptional job cooling just enough even with AC on and it draws much less amperage.

It’s very quiet too. I wired in an audible warning to remind me to turn it off when I open the drivers door:)

Here’s a link to it. There is also a 10” option for 19.99. It’s a good fan of comparable quality to my 7x more expensive flexolite version. Universal Slim Fan Push Pull Electric Radiator Cooling 12V 80W Mount Kit (Black, 7") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJO4EC0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eBJ2DbT64SAKY

#23 ·
Interesting I was thinking 3-5 and agree with the fan noise and maybe even drag.
I have the typical 1.9 everything normal.
Bob that's funny (speed racer) awesome you have peddle left.
I say scouch your seat up a click and see what happens. LOL

#27 ·
My fan only runs when needed and it is variable speed that is controlled by water temperature.

#31 ·
unintended consequences

I really hadn't thought about that covering helping with the airflow through the radiator. I was just doing this to improve the looks under the hood. Now I can say that I did it for increased cooling! :veryhappy:banana::beerchug:

Allen & Vickie Gage :cool:

Reactions: terrylewisac
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.