Swapped Head
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Manta Rallier
  • 1 Post By The Scifi Guy

Thread: Swapped Head

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads

Swapped Head

I swapped the head without doing any tear down to inspect. I am still working on the valve adjustment and should have that done this week. I think the head is still going to be a bit noisy even after the valve adjustment. What steps should I take? I am going to pull and look at the solid lifters when adjusting the valve. Not sure what a bad vs good lifter looks like. From the head seller the valves were re-seated and new seals and guides.

Do I swap out the cam from the cracked head since the head and valve train was very quiet on that head? How easy or difficult is a cam swap?

Other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wait until the solids are adjusted and you try it out before coming to an conclusion on the noise. That is good on the guides being renewed.

As for the present lifters, take them out one at a time and lay a straight edge across the lower ends. A new lifter will have a slight convex surface, a few thousandths high. They will eventually change to a concave surface from normal wear. I can't recall a good limit for the depth of that concav-ity from which to to judge how far things are gone. But if you see any circular grooves in the lower lifter surface, that is wear that is going bad.

I personally hesitate to move a cam and its set of worn lifters to another engine. The reason being that there are always slight machining differences on lifter bores and heads. The lifter bores can be slightly angled differently, the lifter bore centerlines can move, and the cam's position in the head can change slightly. How much of a problem this is, IDK, but with those variations, you will be slightly changing the contact patterns from head to head... once the lifters have worn quite a bit, then changes in the contact pattern may be quickly terminal. Again, this is just from an abundance of caution.

Examine your old cam first. Feel free to post some pix of the lobe peaks; those are the critical points. The profiles of of the lobes should smoothly curve across the surface as you move over the peaks of the lobes. Any hint of any type of flattening of the lobes peaks anywhere, no matter how small, is a sign ot not re-use it.

If the cam lobes are all good, then I'd have the lifters re-ground or get some new ones before putting the old cam in another head.
    MikeNotigan likes this.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW, what oil are you using? Have you checked it to see that it has adequate ZDDP, or have you used an additive?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest buying new solid lifters from OGTS. If your cam looks healthy, as described previously, it is always a good practice to start over with fresh new lifters. Heck, why not get a more ooomphier cam while you're at it? I don't like the Combo cams, but I've heard nice things about the Torquer cam, which will give you more low end grunt, which stock Opels desperately need, without the engine lope that makes tuning the engine a PIA.

dpre likes this.

Thread Information