CIH 4 Speed Clutch Arm Boot / Dust Cover Alternatives
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: †0
Likes Likes: †0
Dislikes Dislikes: †0
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Knorm65
  • 1 Post By Vincent
  • 1 Post By Manta Rallier

Thread: CIH 4 Speed Clutch Arm Boot / Dust Cover Alternatives

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

So Iíve got a bit of a snag, as mentioned on another thread Iíve pulled the motor / trans from my sons 1970 Opel and have been rebuilding everything. While the block and head are at the machine shop I started tackling some of the transmission related items. Iíve disassembled most everything and cleaned them up nice and gave them a nice semi-gloss black engine paint so they look purdy. Iíve reinstalled most everything on the tranny and went to order a new OGTS boot / dust cover that the clutch arm rides through in the bellhousing. To my surprise they are out of stock, undaunted I picked using the comment on OGTS that is also works in the Getrag (assume the 240/260 at a minimum but it looks like the 265 as well) figuring that would be the end of that. To my surprise that several hours of digging hasnít turned up one for that either. I mean donít get me wrong I found a couple overseas ones and a couple on eBay but they both seem pricey. I then started looking at other alternatives like Mantaís and early Vegaís with no better results.

Are there any alternatives or substitutes that fit the stock bellhousing? I know itís not considered an ďessential partĒ but Iíd like to keep the new clean parts like that as long as possible. For those interested I did have one in there but it was trashed, covered in oil and rotted so it was a bin item when it came off.

BTW itís amazing how much oil and gunk accumulated on the inside of the bellhousing! Some key spots were nearly a ľĒ deep but most surfaces had an 1/8th to 3/16th covering it. I figure I unloaded a couple lbs just from the tranny / bellhousing.

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just run without the boot until Gil gets them back in stock. Or order them from splendid parts in Germany like I did. I went 4 years without a dust cover and my bellhousing is plenty clean inside. There is a giant vent on the top of the housing that has no filter so dust will get in anyway.

P.S you can put the boot on even after you install the trans in the car.
    soybean likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    Just run without the boot until Gil gets them back in stock. Or order them from splendid parts in Germany like I did. I went 4 years without a dust cover and my bellhousing is plenty clean inside. There is a giant vent on the top of the housing that has no filter so dust will get in anyway.

Agreed! Just run it as is....
    soybean likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post

Yeah that's my fallback was just hoping there was a known alternative out there. I think I'l make some measurements of the hole tonight and start my detective work on comparable matches. There really can only be so many opening sizes out there and I'm sure there is something else close enough I just need to find it. If not it goes naked for awhile.

Opel Rallier since 1977
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Or duct tape on the old one 'til the new arrives....
    soybean likes this.

Thread Information