Heavy clutch pedal effort
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RallyBob

Thread: Heavy clutch pedal effort

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heavy clutch pedal effort

I haven't really driven my new GT exept for a very brief lowspeed test drive because the tires are shot and I'm now starting the teardown phase prior to bodywork. The clutch seems to operate properly, but to me, seems like a tremendous force is needed with the left foot to depress the pedal. Maybe I'm spoiled because my MGB has a hydraulic clutch and that pedal is almost effortless.
    Are these clutches normally very stiff? And what, other than a rusty or frayed clutch cable would cause excessive stiffness? Of course, when I take everything apart, I can check the cable for binding. The pedal is not at all "glitchy," just very stiff.
    Advice?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
    I haven't really driven my new GT exept for a very brief lowspeed test drive because the tires are shot and I'm now starting the teardown phase prior to bodywork. The clutch seems to operate properly, but to me, seems like a tremendous force is needed with the left foot to depress the pedal. Maybe I'm spoiled because my MGB has a hydraulic clutch and that pedal is almost effortless.
    Are these clutches normally very stiff? And what, other than a rusty or frayed clutch cable would cause excessive stiffness? Of course, when I take everything apart, I can check the cable for binding. The pedal is not at all "glitchy," just very stiff.
    Advice?
    Thanks.
    Do you have any other reference points? My Opel clutch is stiff compared to my former cars - Subaru and Alfa Romeo but I find it very light compared to my current Lotus. It is all relative. Have you ever driven an TR6? How does it compare to that?

Our Opel engagement is only about 60% of the pedal travel. Have you tested to find the engagement range relative to total travel?
    Lifes too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers. Just don't do them at the same time.

No boring cars:
    1973 Opel GT
    The non-Opel Collection:
    1966 Lotus Elan S2/SE
    1968 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3
    1968 Mercedes-Benz 280S
    1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
    1973 Triumph TR6
    1973 Porsche 914
    1979 Triumph Spitfire with GT6+ conversion = "Spit6"
    2003 Jaguar XKR
    2005 Lotus Elise

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkMan View Post
    Do you have any other reference points? My Opel clutch is stiff compared to my former cars - Subaru and Alfa Romeo but I find it very light compared to my current Lotus. It is all relative. Have you ever driven an TR6? How does it compare to that?

Our Opel engagement is only about 60% of the pedal travel. Have you tested to find the engagement range relative to total travel?

I have not tested it but the clutch engages/disengages properly. The pedal seems to be stiff almost immediately when dpressed and uniformly stiff through the extent of its travel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to see this a lot on cars that had incorrectly adjusted clutch pedals. The manual states that the adjustment be done on the pivot stud, so that the end of the clutch fork is 4.25" from the face if the bellhousing. After that, the clutch cable is adjusted so that the pedal freeplay is correct (3/4"-1").

However, most Opel owners without a manual at their disposal adjust the clutch strictly by the cable. This changes the leverage, making the pedal effort unusually high.
    GoinManta likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Manta Rallye - hillclimb car, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '73 Manta Luxus, '73 Ascona 2-dr, '74 Ascona 2-dr - Project X, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta, '75 Manta - racecar

Downloads
    Uploads
    My son had a stiff clutch problem in his GT. I did a test drive and it felt like the shaft the clutch lever pivots on was rusted. I lubed the heck out of it with no results.

A week later I got a call from him. He found out why it was so stiff and it's not stiff anymore. Additionally he was asking if I could bring him a clutch cable and told me where he broke down.

The stiffness was that the PO had "repaired" the clutch cable housing at one time. He didn't know how to adjust the pivot bolt so he'd pulled the cable housing enough to break the head off of it. Then he added a weird spacer to kind of make it work. This put an unusual angle on the cable and the housing so the cable was rubbing on the aluminum (or pot metal) housing right at the point it exits the firewall. And that's where it broke.

A new (lightly used) clutch cable fixed the problem.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, gents. I'll look for such things when I get under the car.

Real Name
    LT
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very Stiff pedal

When I got my GT a few years back the clutch pedal was very stiff. I found that the upper end of the cable had worn a groove into the hook on the end of the pedal arm. This grove was causing the cable to bind and would not allow the end of the cable to flow properly causing it to bind. I removed the pedal assembly and took it to the welding shop to have the hook brazed, then ued a rat tail file to reshape the hook.
    Man is the lowest cost Multi-purpose computing mechanism, capable of being mass produced by unskilled labor.

Thread Information