GT cooling down the fuel - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks: 0
Likes Likes: 0
Dislikes Dislikes: 0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: GT cooling down the fuel

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    What would you recommend for a cold air system for the air cleaner.? Thanks, Jarrell
    Choose One?
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/afterm...ntake-k-n.html
    The Cub likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Lindsay, they look good. I have the chrome boxy filter on now, waiting trying to figure out How Otto mounted his air box for a set of Weber 40dcoes sidedrafts. He sent me a picture many years ago , no picture attached. Strange indeed. Waiting now on what ITB says. I do have original Carb tops, can go that route or upgrade to what Gordo has, but money is tight here on the Farm, and I have a 7400 series Jd 4wd, that may have to go to the shop, for transmission problems. Read "NOT Cheap" to pull Cab etc, just to get to a 3 doller switch in the tranney. Damn it. So, I can live with what I have for the time being. Thanks for providing the links though, Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Lindsay, they look good. I have the chrome boxy filter on now, waiting trying to figure out How Otto mounted his air box for a set of Weber 40dcoes sidedrafts. He sent me a picture many years ago , no picture attached. Strange indeed. Waiting now on what ITB says. I do have original Carb tops, can go that route or upgrade to what Gordo has, but money is tight here on the Farm, and I have a 7400 series Jd 4wd, that may have to go to the shop, for transmission problems. Read "NOT Cheap" to pull Cab etc, just to get to a 3 doller switch in the tranney. Damn it. So, I can live with what I have for the time being. Thanks for providing the links though, Jarrell
    Otto used the top of an air box for a 1986 (I think) Datsun 300zx. He cut it down to fit and made a custom adapter plate. Ill try to remember to find a photo of how to do it for you. I gave it a try, but it was much too large on my 40DCOE setup and not worth fiddling with more.
    soybean likes this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    Otto used the top of an air box for a 1986 (I think) Datsun 300zx. He cut it down to fit and made a custom adapter plate. Ill try to remember to find a photo of how to do it for you. I gave it a try, but it was much too large on my 40DCOE setup and not worth fiddling with more.
    Thank you Kyler, you answered my question, and the photo is probably what he sent Harold and I. What did you use for your 40 DCOEs and how did you set up your accelerator? Sorry Tom for hijacking your thread. Thanks, Jarrell

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

addition

Tom, Check out this old thread, It is what I followed Many,Many years ago. https://www.opelgt.com/forums/6b-coo...al-sensor.html
    The Cub likes this.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grd
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cub View Post
    I was looking over the owners guide on the controller that you have. Thats really a nice one, I really like the soft start feature, it looks like you mount it in front of the radiator? Set the temperature and let it do its thing. 3,000 CFMs for our 4 cylinder surprised me. Thats a very good price on the fan. Looks like a good value. Ill have to do more browsing through the links posted earlier. Thanks for posting the information.
    I'm very pleased with both devices.

PJ is one of our smartest guys and he usually buys very good well researched stuff. That type of 14" fan was his suggestion. I was using a 12" fan with straight, unconnected, blades and was pretty happy, but still had some overheating incidents. This type of 14" fan seems exponentially better, it really blows the air. I think that the ring around the outside that connects all the blades is a VERY good thing. It keeps the blades in balance and reduces the amount of air that might be inclined to go out sideways.

The fan controller I chose is really sweet. It has that slow start feature, but it also has an "overdrive" feature where it will overfeed power to the fan for a short time if it's normal speed doesn't start to bring the temperature down to the target point. Additionally, it has a self check function at start up: When you first turn the key to Run the fan will turn on for 2-3 seconds. This lets you know that your fan is operational without you having to wait until your car overheats and the fan turns on. I've had fans fail long ago and when you have them set to only come on when your car overheats, it's hard to tell if you have a functioning fan. Often times you can't hear them running with the engine on and the shrouding of them makes it tough to look inside to see if the blades are spinning. That self test let's you hear the fan kick on before you start the engine. There are multiple terminals to plug in wires for various applications, one of which lets you turn the fan on whenever you want to with a switch. It also has enough power to control 2 or more fans, as long as you stay below it's max amperage. I have it hooked up to turn on both my auto tranny cooler fan and my engine fan simultaneously. Not the most accurate set up, The thermostat probe is inserted into the radiator fins near the top hose inlet, so it only reacts to engine coolant temp. I have no idea if, when the engine coolant gets too hot, the tranny fluid is also too hot, because I don't have a temp probe in it. It's a very oversized tranny cooler, probably WAY more than I need, but I only overheat in backed up traffic and that's one of the conditions where tranny fluid gets really hot. The other time being when the car is under extreme load, like climbing a hill. I figure that if the engine coolant gets too hot, then it's likely that the tranny fluid could use some cooling also.

There are other controllers that I'm sure have the same number of features, if not more, but it has a beautifully integrated design, it's nice to look at, and many other controllers look like someone cobbled them together from junk in their basement. Considering how catastrophic and inconvenient it is to have your car go to crap or even stall in backed up traffic, ANY price you pay to put an end to that is worth paying.

Unfortunately, my computer with it's 6000+ Opel pics is on the fritz and I'm forced to use my lap top from work, so I don't have any pics from my archives to show where I mounted it. I put it on the radiator wall just above where the brake booster support is. I dressed it up a little with some mirror stainless steel slid over the cooling fins.

Here's a pic from my archive of photos on this site showing the controller when my engine was yellow. I don't have the Stainless cover on it. You can see it just to the left of the MSD box.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 6 Days Ago at 07:52 AM.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cooling

Anything you use that brings the air in from the front of the radiator works,for the street car I use the one Gill sells,for the race cars something that moves the filter down by the battery.
    I think we can all agree that mixing colder air with fuel can increase HP. And god knows we all need it,plus it help brake stuff,

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by itb gt View Post
    Anything you use that brings the air in from the front of the radiator works,for the street car I use the one Gill sells,for the race cars something that moves the filter down by the battery.
    I think we can all agree that mixing colder air with fuel can increase HP. And god knows we all need it,plus it help brake stuff,
    Yep I agree esp with the Brake issue. I need to get with Gill and see what filter you are talking about. Many,Many years ago,I was told the original air cleaner/filter was the best as it being smaller in the front would ram more air into the carb. I often wondered about that. The Mantas had a small line to the front on the right side to an opening that pushed the air into the cleaner/ filter. I liked that idea and never had a problem, except that it was a Solex Carb. I later found a Solex, mechanical linkage, that worked for a while, then onto "The Weber '' Thanks for the tip, Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 5 Days Ago at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information