Opel GT Forum banner

2nd meet of 2010

5K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  eaymon 
#1 ·
The year started off with a bang at the "kilt" wooooo
So now its that time again to plan on the next meet.
How about another working meet? Theres a GT that needs the groups help.
The GT can be hauled on a trailer to the meeting place. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Sounds great - how does March 27th look for everyone?

Matt

#8 ·
Harold probably knows better than i do.

but here is the list, some things are small, some are distant, and others well... i don't know:

- Cooked the fuse box and couldn't get it started again.. new wiring harness and fusebox arrived today will be fitting over the weekend. i shorted the headlamp wires...

- PO welded steel plates for Porsche seats... will hopefully be getting those removed this weekend or next weekend.

- Harold mentioned that haven't welded something in underneath... i cannot remember what exactly..

- Insulating the car...i have roll on bed liner and peel and seal to put down once the plates are off..

- Some indicator issues that I'm hoping to get fixed with the new wiring harness

- no wipers... waiting for Harold to send me his 'Care package' of little bits, linkages etc

- heater is out of the car..

- Headlight rotary mechanism is very stiff.

- Minor transmission issues ...

- I think the engine could be tuned a little (it has been bored to 2.0 and has a weber DGAS 38)

- No "T" above the fuel tank to relieve air bubbles

- fuel sender not working (trying to source some nichrome wire to fix two of them)

- No carpets ( will get these from OGTS soon)

- No head or 'side' liners

- No rear deck for a spare

- Need to replace noisy fuel pump with a quieter one

- Need some kind of seats now that the Porsche ones will not fit. (Steve has a pair for me)

- New weather stripping

- move the door latches so that the door closes properly

- Send gas cap to Keith to source a Key

- Send key (or code) to Keith to get a copy

- remove the second ignition switch they installed

- switch to electric ignition if they haven't already

- replace stiff rear shocks (every speed bump i hit the roof of the car)

that's all i can think off at the moment... it would probably be more for the transmission and tuning than anything else if I'm not mistaken.

#14 ·
March 27th meeting date and 10:00am start time to work at my house. Need to know who can be there . thanks
John

#16 ·
Bump...

Just getting this back to the top of the heap as the meet is tomorrow. I can make it for at least the first couple hours or so. Are we doing pizzas? That seemed to work well last time.

Matt

#18 ·
Paulie I will pm you with address . Glad you can come . cell # 678 467 8398 John Lewis
Matt , Pizza is good ,see you there . 10:00am Sat.

#20 ·
Some photos...

We had a good meet yesterday with some new cars and new faces showing up. Paul brought his GT with a turbo Thunderbird engine in it and John brought his very nice stock / modified GT.

Matt

Attachments

#21 ·
More photos...

This was a "working session" and there turned out to be quite a bit of work required to repair Eaymon's differential. I think John described it as a "grenade going off" with metal having blown right through the side of the housing. I had to leave before the work was completed so maybe someone else can chime in on what transpired later in the day.

Matt

Attachments

#23 ·
Just to add to what Matt has said/shown, since the diff was "toast", Tony (phoenix) offered Eaymon a diff outta his GT that's in storage in my garage. They came over and snatched it out, then transplanted it under Eaymon's car. We don't know if it whines or not, but, you can see by the pics that ANYTHING was better than what he had. I don't know what else they accomplished, but, they didn't knock off till after it was dark, so I'm pretty sure they were a few sore muscles this morning:D:D

#24 ·
We did have a good meeting , I have added some photos of Paulie's car but I did not have photos of John's car but I think Matt or Oliver may have some to post . There are more photos of the diff. damage also I did not take any (Guess I was working :haha: )
We got started on Oliver's trans. shifter for the 5 speed and also his Alt. upgrade .
I was glad Tony had a Diff. assy. for Eaymon ( Tony and Eaymon had to remove that one and bring it back to my house for the install ) Was a good place to do the install because we had air tools :yup:
Tony and Oliver helped on the install so we could get eaymon back on the road .
John

Attachments

#27 ·
not quite... i had it on a trailer, and had about 30 miles between johns and my house.

The goal was to have a look at it, let me know what i need to improve, fix, repair, see if the engine was good and remove the welded plates. It turned out to be something far worse.

The car runs as I have driven it for a few miles but nothing really over 30/40mph and total mileage i added wouldn't of been more than 6-10miles. I was going to drive it there but I had not finished the electrics, so I didn't want to risk it.

I had the GT on the trailer and pulled it along on the highway for about 10 miles at about 55 per hour. As I exited the highway there was some noise coming from the car and i watch some smoke rise through the engine bay of the GT through the rear view mirror.

Not a good feeling....

I tried to leave the slip road and began to hear the tires screeching (more bad news!)
it took me a while to drive to a parking lot and inspect and try to have the brakes cool down ( As john suggested over the phone) before going any further. In the process getting dirty looks from people on the side of the street as well as the officer in the cop car at the top of the street.

The brakes finally came free or the something in the rear differential came free( with a bit of clunking noises) and i was able to move again and reach Johns house.

I am so glad I chose not to drive it there.

#29 ·
Shoot. I'm not on the site as much anymore. Never saw the thread before just now...

Dieter

#31 ·
We missed you and would have put you to work :yup: we had about 8 total and some had to leave because it was running late but we had an emergency repair that was not expected but that's what you find it you do anything with cars :haha:, I think a good time was had by all ..we got to see three GT's from other member's and we did get a lot of work done and a lot of "bench racing / B/S " :haha:
Hope to see you at next meeting .
John Lewis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.