Opel GT Forum banner

Manta / Ascona front suspension rebuild

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GoinManta 
#1 ·
Working on Charles car gave me a few ideas on what to do to improve the front suspension. I know Bob has a gusset kit and makes it better, but how about just changing it all to tubular arms and coil overs?

Well, with the help of our good buddy Harold, I have a front suspension crossmember and a few odds and ends, which I can use to create a complete tubular arm front suspension. It will be all off the shelf and all parts can be purchased at many places on the net.

This will be part of the upgrade I will be doing to my Ascona, so stay tuned.....

#2 ·
Research continues...

Took a look at the Manta lower arms and they have similar dimensions when compared to a Mustang II type arm:

1) The balljoints on both arms are approx. 16" from the rear pivot point.
2) They both use a 1/2" (or so) bolt to attach the rear of the arm to the frame.
3) The MII frame tabs are 3/4" wider than the Manta, but that can be easily fixed.
4) Top A-arm is just about the same all around.

I plan to use all Mustang II components on this front end, very minor modifications will yield substantial gains on the many available results.

I'm sending out the crossmember tomorrow to the sandblaster to start this build. I am also modifying the motor mounts to accept either a 3.4L or a 4.3L engine, I have a stroker 3.4L crate motor that is begging to be installed.

Will continue posting when more is available.

#4 ·
Think Juan stuck with the stock bits afterall as well..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.