Opel GT Forum banner

Putting out some feelers

17K views 125 replies 29 participants last post by  rrossjr 
#1 ·
We will be moving out of state next Fall, and I will likely not be taking the GT with me.
I wanted to get some thoughts from the community about price and a good strategy for the sale.
The car starts, runs, drives, and stops well. Overall condition is very good, and paint still looks new
(2005 respray) Body is straight (no dents, dings or scratches) and rust free (Texas car originally)
Less than 20K miles on rebuilt 1.9. Drivetrain is mostly stock, except for 32/36 weber. Lots of
chrome bits in the engine bay. Small ATF leak (dipstick tube o-ring?) Sound system is dated.
This car was built mostly for shows, rather than for performance. Multiple awards, including best Opel from
last year's Mother Road Festival in Springfield. I put a few recent pics in an album here.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

#52 ·
Thanks Norbert.
A little tour of my neighborhood as well as the GT. In the second driving video at around the 6:45 mark you can see the
Bentley dealership tucked in between the liquor store and
diary queen. :D A fascinating juxtaposition which makes this town interesting.
Good luck with the EFI swap. Hopefully you will be behind the wheel once again before too long.
Regards,
Ron in Indy

#56 ·
Just a quick update.
I decided to list the car on eBay and see what happens.
Here is a link to the auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Opel/...AAOSw9yZdESvV&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500
I set the reserve low enough that it will hopefully get sold on the first try.
Send me you feedback on anything I may have missed (or miss-stated?) and forward the link
if you know anyone who is looking for a GT that they can enjoy the day it lands in their driveway.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

#58 ·
Thanks Mel,
Good luck to you as well. I will be watching to see how you do with your very nice GT.
If you decide to look at selling it on BAT, you may have better luck setting a reasonable reserve than I did.
I definitely prefer their auction format over eBay's.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

#61 ·
My only advice is to make it clear that any questions and request for more pics are welcome. difference between barely making reserve and thousands over is more pics of underside and the offer of quick replies to any questions or pic requests.

Include a pic of scratch you mention. straighten horn button, and front wheels. as is look's like car needs an alignment and steering wheel isn't aligned properly.

Your ad is real nice and I'm being hypercritical.

Good luck. I wish I had the cash to buy at your generous reserve and flip it.

#64 ·
I shared your ad across the world. haha I shared to a few USA groups on facebook and the European GT club too.

For the Love of Opel and chrome
Opel Owners USA
Opel CIH marketplace
Opel GT owner
Opel GT Swap meet

Received a lil feedback that they wished there was more pics of underside and the dash and interior.

#66 ·
The auction ends today (6:10 PM EDT) for anyone who might be on the fence about
dropping in and scooping up this GT. It is almost at the reserve price at the moment, so I expect it
will be sold today. I am hoping it goes to someone in the OpelGT.Com community here, so I can continue
to interact with the new owner on this forum. PM me if you are thinking about bidding and have any questions
about the car.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

Attachments

#69 ·
Time out?
Can`t believe it.:ugh:
Not higher bets:thinking::thinking::question:

That looks like a big lost
Norbert:sigh:
Hi Norbert,
Yes, it came in lower than what I thought it would.
I didn't want to have to re-list so I set the reserve @ $10K, and that is about what it went for.
The new owner got a good deal, but I am moving soon and the GT needs a new home. (which will be in AZ by the way :yup: )
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

#80 ·
Thanks guys,
I was a little "verklempt" when I dropped the car off. At least I had one last drive.
After 15 years, it is odd to open my garage and not see the little orange GT waiting
for me, but I am hopeful that it will continue its story out west. Who knows, Norbert?
One day it may return to Deutschland. I'll ask the current owner to consider that if he decides
to sell the car.
Best,
Opel-less Ron in Indy :no:

#86 ·
Maybe so, John. :dunno:
I'm a little confused, since he mentioned how well the car drives, but never put a tag on it.
Also, for the record, the ODO was replaced, so actual miles are not what is shown (as I documented when I sold it)
The last time I spoke to the buyer (now seller) he seemed excited to have the car and had a few improvements that he wanted to do
like new windshield and wooden steering wheel. It looks like he did buy the latter, which is listed in a separate auction (along with a few other
items that I included when I sent him the GT.)
Oh well. Hopefully the next owner will be an Opel person and enjoy the car.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

#87 ·
his feedback on ebay includes numerous vehicles and auction related items. hes a flipper alright.

he threw away the trophies? Im disappointed they were even included in sale. I wish I could have sold the car. I would have sold for $15k plus.

this auction has good pictures and almost a good description. but to get top dollar, needs a lil more salesmanship. few more pics, another paragraph, couple videos and a hotline to call with questions...

#88 ·
I wish I could have sold the car. I would have sold for $15k plus...
JJ, I have no doubt that you could. :yup:
I included the trophies and other extra parts and books since I thought they belonged with the car. I definitely
would have kept them if I knew they were destined for the landfill.
Auctions are funny things. When I sold it on ebay, I included a half dozen videos, and a link to >100 high res pics that covered pretty much every square inch of the car.
I also included a detailed (and well-written :p ) description of the car, as well as some background info on the marque. There were a few serious bidders, but very few
asked any questions at all. After the car made the reserve and the auction ended, I got about 6 emails saying they somehow lost track of the auction and would have gone
well beyond the selling price! :sigh: I won't be surprised if it sells for a higher price this time, but it is always a crapshoot. I still believe that it would have done much better on
BAT, but we were unable to agree on a reserve price.
Also, I don't have any problem with flippers or guys that buy and resell cars for a profit. Afterall, once you buy it, it is yours to do with as you see fit. My disappointment is
only that I thought it was going to a budding Opel enthusiast, who, I hoped, would enjoy the car as I did.
Così è la vita!
RR

#91 ·
Hi Ron, I feel your frustration of not having your GT go to a future (or present) converted. On the other hand. you threw the dice at an action, and before you knew it your garage spot was empty. On a positive note you didn't get into a disagreement on the condition of the car. There are those on eBay who buy cheap, complain it does not meet the stated (?) condition and request a partial refund.

Hopefully your GT this time will go to a converted and you can live its new life through future postings on the forum.

What's your next project?

#92 ·
My next project is to build a bigger garage! :veryhappy
Currently, my old 1.5 car garage is pretty limiting. I brought my 1963 Corvair and daily driver (3 series E46 BMW) I need space
for my wife's daily driver and my father's '56 Continental Mark II which he wants me to have. Hoping to break ground before the end of the month.
Cheers,
RR

#102 ·
Yep. Very nice car. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned a well designed eBay listing.
By the way, I am guessing that the seller here is also a flipper, based on the number
of vehicles he has sold on ebay. Sounds like most of his customers are happy campers, so he
must be doing it right. Hopefully the new owner of this pretty '69 GT shows up here.
Cheers,
RR

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.