Putting out some feelers
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 120
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Putting out some feelers

  1. #1
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Putting out some feelers

    We will be moving out of state next Fall, and I will likely not be taking the GT with me.
    I wanted to get some thoughts from the community about price and a good strategy for the sale.
    The car starts, runs, drives, and stops well. Overall condition is very good, and paint still looks new
    (2005 respray) Body is straight (no dents, dings or scratches) and rust free (Texas car originally)
    Less than 20K miles on rebuilt 1.9. Drivetrain is mostly stock, except for 32/36 weber. Lots of
    chrome bits in the engine bay. Small ATF leak (dipstick tube o-ring?) Sound system is dated.
    This car was built mostly for shows, rather than for performance. Multiple awards, including best Opel from
    last year's Mother Road Festival in Springfield. I put a few recent pics in an album here.
    Let me know what you think.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    Sinz likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,752
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    advertise on bring a trailer, take tons of pics, especially underside and any areas of concern. Make a nice detailed listing and first $15k plus takes it.

    Might even be a great candidate for selling to overseas. But I wouldn't sell for less than 15k. Long exposure in ad will grab more audience. Short term Ebay ad will not provide enough exposure.

    You have a very nice GT and will be one of the first fine examples to be sold post wheelerdealers/hagerty articles. Your car will be the benchmark going forward what rust free Opel GT owners can expect for their cars.
    soybean, MikeNotigan and Sinz like this.

  4. #3
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra GT View Post
    advertise on bring a trailer, take tons of pics, especially underside and any areas of concern. Make a nice detailed listing and first $15k plus takes it.

    Might even be a great candidate for selling to overseas. But I wouldn't sell for less than 15k. Long exposure in ad will grab more audience. Short term Ebay ad will not provide enough exposure.

    You have a very nice GT and will be one of the first fine examples to be sold post wheelerdealers/hagerty articles. Your car will be the benchmark going forward what rust free Opel GT owners can expect for their cars.
    Thanks JJ,
    I recall that you sold a GT on BAT several years ago. It sounds like you were pleased with the results.
    Opels seem to get a good reception on that site. I think they charge 5% plus $250 listing fee, so a
    sale @ $15K nets $14K. Not unreasonable.
    Cheers,
    RR
    dsmith and soybean like this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany/Bremen
    Posts
    4,138
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Upps !
    Sorry to read that!
    When the GT would stay here in Europ.I think it would be sure in the €25K to €30K range
    But with classic wheels it will get more points,those modern ones is not my taste
    Ron,what kind of paint was used for the paint job in 2005? A classic paint or a thermoplast paint?

    Wish you all the best
    Norbert


    Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

  7. #5
    Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,752
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    Thanks JJ,
    I recall that you sold a GT on BAT several years ago. It sounds like you were pleased with the results.
    Opels seem to get a good reception on that site. I think they charge 5% plus $250 listing fee, so a
    sale @ $15K nets $14K. Not unreasonable.
    Cheers,
    RR
    I sold before Opel GT's rose in price. I wish I still had the car to sell now. There are way more guys looking for nice GT like yours now!

  8. #6
    1000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bordentown, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,631
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Ron, sorry to read you might be parting with your GT. A very, very nice one at that. I like Frozen Tundra's advice about BAT. GT's get a very welcome reception on BAT these days and with that, a strong bidding base.

    If you go, say, the Ebay route or put it up for sale on craigslist, the site Barnfinds could pick up the ad and feature your car on their site. But they don't have the reach of BAT at this time. Plus, a well put together car like yours aren't usually found on Barnfinds.

    There is also Hemmings on-line to consider.

    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, as well with your pending future move. More important, whether you sell or not, continue on with your presence and contributions, here!

    Mike
    soybean likes this.

  9. #7
    Opeler
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,748
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    http://www.opelclub.com/PaintChipsJanFeb2009.pdf
    What color is your GT?
    Looks like BB = Rallye Orange (1970, black interior).

    Very nice condition. Stock with some enhancements.
    What state are you moving to?

  10. #8
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    Upps !
    Sorry to read that!
    When the GT would stay here in Europ.I think it would be sure in the €25K to €30K range
    But with classic wheels it will get more points,those modern ones is not my taste
    Ron,what kind of paint was used for the paint job in 2005? A classic paint or a thermoplast paint?

    Wish you all the best
    Norbert
    Thanks Norbert,
    Yes, the wheels are definitely not "period correct" and initially, I was unhappy with the look (they came with the car)
    but after a while, I decided that they sort of went with the concept of "show opel" Anyway, easy enough to change.
    The paint is two stage (base coat/clear coat) and is a pretty good match for the original rallye orange.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy

  11. #9
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    Ron, sorry to read you might be parting with your GT. A very, very nice one at that. I like Frozen Tundra's advice about BAT. GT's get a very welcome reception on BAT these days and with that, a strong bidding base.

    If you go, say, the Ebay route or put it up for sale on craigslist, the site Barnfinds could pick up the ad and feature your car on their site. But they don't have the reach of BAT at this time. Plus, a well put together car like yours aren't usually found on Barnfinds.

    There is also Hemmings on-line to consider.

    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, as well with your pending future move. More important, whether you sell or not, continue on with your presence and contributions, here!

    Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    I need more dust before I can list it on Barnfinds.
    I'm planning on hanging out here-Opel or no Opel.
    I'm hoping George returns to search for his lost "O" and I wouldn't want to miss that.
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy

  12. #10
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    What color is your GT?
    Looks like BB = Rallye Orange (1970, black interior).
    Yes, but not original paint.

    Very nice condition. Stock with some enhancements.
    What state are you moving to?
    FL

  13. #11
    1000 Post Club Dale .D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    BC canada
    Posts
    1,184
    Real Name
    Dale Doebert
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Looks in pretty good shape. I'm guessing it's value to be in the 11-12 k range. Would get more if you had the 5 speed & more powerful motor. What upgrades do you have on suspension & braking.
    soybean and anastosmotors like this.

  14. #12
    1000 Post Club tealcarver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada
    Posts
    1,293
    Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Ron: you can always go with the "Best Offer" price, if no one comes in with a good offer, then relist it. It is a good looking car, if someone wanted something like it, and they had "normal" GT, they would spend more than $10,000 to get it like yours. I don't think $15,000.00 is too high. Mine is similar on the work done to yours, It has an agreed value of 30,000.00 through Hagerty insurance.

    Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

  15. #13
    Pedal Smasher Autoholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,766
    Real Name
    Joseph (Zeppi) Bauer
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I'd list it on BAT and go post over on German Opel communities. I'd say between $12-15k is reasonable for the American market, easily $25k in the European market.
    soybean and JudokaJohn like this.
    "Autoholism is an incurable addiction medicated daily with car porn." ~Zeppi

    1973 Opel GT project car - Plans: 2.5L CIH, Weber 38 DGAS, Getrag 240, Lowered 1", Watts link, exterior color - Rainforest Green Pearl, interior color - tan

  16. #14
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale .D View Post
    Looks in pretty good shape. I'm guessing it's value to be in the 11-12 k range. Would get more if you had the 5 speed & more powerful motor. What upgrades do you have on suspension & braking.
    Yes, the car is in very good shape. Pretty much stock suspension, steering, and brakes. The larger wheels and tires help a bit with handling, but also add to the road noise.
    soybean likes this.

  17. #15
    Über Genius First opel 1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,569
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Much worse GTs have gone for high dollars on Mecum. Yours should get top dollar there.

    Just watch out for the seller premium.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

  18. #16
    Member opeljohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Springfield IL
    Posts
    1,582
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Having seen Ron's GT on a few occasions, and having been to most of the national events at one time or another I would put it in the top 5% of what's out there in this country. A good looking very well maintained GT. If I could work it out I would sell mine and buy Ron's.

    Anyway, Ron I would contact Paul Tipton. He ended up selling his black GT to an overseas buyer I think thru contacts on Facebook. I think it is now in Norway. If I remember correctly he had a number of offers from that side of the pond at better prices than here. I would think someone from there could pick it up for $20-25 Grand, ship it over there and still come out ahead.

  19. #17
    4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany/Bremen
    Posts
    4,138
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    First to do today was sent the pictures to my friend Harmut


    Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

  20. #18
    Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,246
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by opeljohn View Post
    Having seen Ron's GT on a few occasions, and having been to most of the national events at one time or another I would put it in the top 5% of what's out there in this country. A good looking very well maintained GT. If I could work it out I would sell mine and buy Ron's.

    Anyway, Ron I would contact Paul Tipton. He ended up selling his black GT to an overseas buyer I think thru contacts on Facebook. I think it is now in Norway. If I remember correctly he had a number of offers from that side of the pond at better prices than here. I would think someone from there could pick it up for $20-25 Grand, ship it over there and still come out ahead.
    Thanks John,
    I'd love to see it stay in the area, but I also understand that this isn't exactly an impulse buy.
    I hadn't seriously considered Europe, but it sounds like I should at least look into that.
    To me, it is always preferable if the buyer can see/drive the car before making a deal.
    Cheers,
    RR

  21. #19
    Pedal Smasher Autoholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,766
    Real Name
    Joseph (Zeppi) Bauer
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Ron, if you sold it to Europe you'd probably have enough to move and then start a new project car.
    soybean and rrossjr like this.
    "Autoholism is an incurable addiction medicated daily with car porn." ~Zeppi

    1973 Opel GT project car - Plans: 2.5L CIH, Weber 38 DGAS, Getrag 240, Lowered 1", Watts link, exterior color - Rainforest Green Pearl, interior color - tan

  22. #20
    Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA - USA
    Posts
    3,827
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    It is a very beautiful GT, I remember it from Springfield (yes, I voted for it!).

    If you want to sell it to Germany, I'm willing to help with translating your description. Be ready to take and host 100+ pictures to cover everything for a potential buyer.

    Dieter

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Feelers for a September meet
      By RallyBob in forum New England Opel Club
      Replies: 39
      Last Post: 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
    2. putting my 1900 back together
      By crliwa in forum General Discussions
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 05-17-2007, 09:17 PM
    3. HELP - Putting engine in car
      By jerseydave in forum 6A - Engine Mechanical
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 05-18-2006, 04:46 PM
    4. Putting Farnborough, Hampshire on the Opel Map...
      By v8gte in forum Introductions
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-07-2004, 02:21 AM
    5. putting a trunk in a gt
      By baz in forum 2D - Body Repairs and Modifications
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 11-15-2003, 08:48 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •