Opel GT Forum banner

drive gear behind the crank pulley

768 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  krewzer 
#1 ·
I have one of the euro 2.4l motors, and I am having trouble getting both, the little slide-on drive gear, and the crank pulley, onto the crank shaft. The drive gear on my 1.9 just slides onto the 1.9 crankshaft, but doesn't come close to fitting the 2.4 crankshaft. It is the only drive gear I have. Is there a different drive gear for the 2.4? I have the same issue with the crankshaft pulley. It doesn't want to slip onto the crank either. There are no blemishes, or rough spots on the crank, or the other parts in question. Should the two parts have come from the original engine. Are they matched? The motor has been rebuilt by GoinManta's machine shop, and I received the rebuilt short block, head, and a slew of loose parts, to make a complete motor. Cant' be certain that the crank pulley I have, is the one that came off my motor. Not certain that it matters.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wes

#2 ·
I had a similar issue with my 2.2 crank.
I had to do a little filing on the key and crank at the key to make it fit easily.

Before addressing the key I could get a pulley to slide on 3/4 of the way but then need a puller to get it back off.

#3 ·
Just measured the parts. The ID of the drive gear is 29mm. The ID of the crank pulley/balancer is 29mm, and the OD of the crankshaft is 29.5mm. The motor is assembled, painted, and fuel system mock up is well underway. All that is left to do is crankshaft gear and pulley install, and front seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.