Miata Swap Into Manta B?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slow_solo_focus

Thread: Miata Swap Into Manta B?

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Miata Swap Into Manta B?

Hey all, I'm about to embark on this adventure. the set up im buying (250 euro, good deal if you ask me) is a 1.6l motor, 5 speed, driveshaft, differential and the frame thing that runs along the bottom of a miata.

i have no issues with making motor mounts, a trans mount and using a megasquirt to get it started. my only question is for the rear end, my car is a 1.2s with the small rear end that i am worried that it will not hold. has anyone ever installed a miata rear end into an old opel?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to get the car TÜV approved there is no way around a rear axle swap. Get a Kadett 16S or an Ascona/Manta A 16S/19S rear axle including the brakes. I assume you have a Kadett C ? I see no point in swapping to a Miata rear as there is nothing wrong with the live axle.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodåren View Post
    If you want to get the car TÜV approved there is no way around a rear axle swap. Get a Kadett 16S or an Ascona/Manta A 16S/19S rear axle including the brakes. I assume you have a Kadett C ? I see no point in swapping to a Miata rear as there is nothing wrong with the live axle.
    Ascona B, almost haha

nothing wrong with it except the part availability and prices people want for them. this is one of the few complete ones kind of near to me and its 600 euro! I would be ok with getting this rear axle since it is on the way to the miata parts. however i would still need the tube extender and driveshaft

as far as the 'smart' people at TUV goes, you bring up a good point. i could keep my entire set up and when it comes time for inspection i could swap it back in. its my last year here in germany. soon i will be in the states again where TUV will no longer haunt me

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    saw the e30 rear end on an opel GT. think id rather run that route tbh that the miata diff

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, i made my way home with an e30 rear end and driveshaft, needs parking brake cables and calipers. all for 200 euro, i dont think i did too bad for out here

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So miata motor and trans are in the car and mostly mounted. Don't want to finalize the trans mount until the rear end is in and I can get the angles perfect

Wiring, once I get my fuel supplies, should be an easy job. Spent a lot of time labeling and figuring out what stuff is but at last the job is done.

Brakes, cooling, pedals and gauge details are yet to be worked out but I'm confident they won't be a major issue. I hope lol

Anyways, the rear end is the final major fabrication bit tp work out. I've modified the e30 subframe to attach to the rear frame rails and now it's time to reinforce the frame rails to ensure I won't have issues with them being torn out of the car. Has anyone done this before? Any tips?

I'll get a better shot of the subframe than my buddies insta chat snap pictureIMG_20181230_222619_059.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some better shots of what I have done

Now, iirc around the frame there is sheet metal wrapping around it. I'll cut that away and weld directly to what I assume is the more structural part of it. Unless someone knows better of course, then let me know!

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    this is what im thinking of doing for the mounting, im talking to a youtube guy called 'ben modified' for help as well, so some of the text can be ignored. he's got a ton of awesome builds on his channel, check it out.

any input is welcome!

this is the OEM set up from an e36 compact ti, which shares the mustache bar from an e30:

this is what im planning on doing:

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you haven't see these yet they may help.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/4a-dif...nto-manta.html

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/perfor...-part-1-a.html

Loving the build and don't forget to post lots of pictures. I like pictures.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    If you haven't see these yet they may help.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/4a-dif...nto-manta.html

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/perfor...-part-1-a.html

Loving the build and don't forget to post lots of pictures. I like pictures.
    I haven't posted a ton because there hasn't been much interest in this since day one except on grassroots motorsports. Even then, the excitement wasn't over the top.

Didn't see the first one but did see the second one. Kinda what inspired the e30 rear end purchase.

I'll try and remember to update for ya

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not much progress recently, few small things

gas tank is pretty much done, intake tube as well

clutch master has a little work to do, mostly reinforcement. dont worry too much about the welds, i could see **** down there and it pulls the sheet metal. its also plug welded in a couple spots (also done blind but with the small seam and plug welds itll be more than strong enough to handle 300ish pounds of tq)

kwschumm likes this.

Thread Information