Opel GT Forum banner

03 Miata Engine and 5 speed in my 71 Opel GT

Tags
miata
4K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  tazdbs 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the way that I am going to install a 2003 Miata 1.8 150 HP EFI engine and 5 speed transmission with 80K miles in my 1971 Opel GT. My friend Barry made the engine mounts. I am trying to do as little modification as possible.

Out of the donor car you will need: engine and trans with shifter, starter, wiring harness, master clutch, slave clutch, master clutch actuating rod assembly including pin and c lock, throttle cable, driveshaft, and engine mounts. While I had the engine out I replaced the timing belt stuff, clutch and bearing, crankshaft and camshaft seals, water pump and new master and slave clutch, hose and trans seals. You will need new radiator hoses and a fuel pump with enough pressure for the EFI. More stuff later.

Remove everything out of donor car and update engine and trans as needed. Then on the GT remove hood, engine, trans, radiator, battery, wires / cables, driveshaft, and clutch pedal.

I cut the radiator support between the two radiator support bushings. It is easier to get the engine out of the top and put the Miata engine and trans in from the top too.

The return spring for the clutch pedal attaches to the hook part of the pedal. Below the pivot bearing you will need to drill a hole for the push rod for the master clutch piton actuator rod linkage. So far the Opel GT clutch pedal can operate the master hydraulic clutch easily. The clutch master cylinder will need to go below the original clutch cable retaining to the passenger side to line up with the clutch pedal and tilted so the fluid reservoir doesn't get rubbed by the pedal return spring.

I am posting all in process pictures on Shutterfly and will share but you need to become a member (free) and let me know. The name of the album is Opel Miata.

I will post the significant pictures here.

See less See more
#4 ·
I did get the engine and trans into the Opel however Since I did not keep all the electronics I should have then this became too expensive with the Megasquirt unit I needed. So I pulled it out and went back to my 2.0 Opel GT engine. You need a custom driveshaft, modify dr footwell for header you have to make and redo clutch pedal and make a hyd clutch setup work but its doable. Keep the parts car as you will need all of the computers and fuel system and ignition system lock key etc. See Cody Lynn's Miata turbo system install. send me a message / e-mail if you want more info or pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.