400 HP Nissan SR20DET in an Opel GT - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 400 HP Nissan SR20DET in an Opel GT

Real Name
    Trond
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 400ish in my kadett coupe, with only a rollcage and m3 rear end. Great fun, ofc too soft for race, but real nice on the streets.
    soybean, broszzy, Knorm65 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    Have a read through this.

Hope it helps.
    John B's fiberglass GT was one of those car builds tucked within this site that just makes your jaw drop in awe. A complete fiberglass body, each body part created by doing a one-off replicant part using the original steel stamping. Incredible focus on detail. Underneath, his GT was like a few other high powered v8 GT's done in that a tube frame was fabricated. Basically not much different then a nitro burning funny car, underneath. With the exception being that Rickey Slade GT, using an altered GT body stretched out with steel, maintaining the factory appearance; powered by that Buick/Rover aluminum V8 engine.

Over a year ago or so I was able to make contact, albeit too brief with John B inquiring of the status of that great build, but he was short on details and I believe, he has not made it back to this forum. I'm hoping he is in good health and is able to enjoy that special GT of his.

Most high horsepower GT projects don't survive the first few months after the idea gets floated here, with the exception of John B's creation and maybe a few others I missed. Wishing the best for the OP in his endeavor.
    soybean likes this.

1000 Post Club
    Real Name
    Mike/Michael
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And I take that back about the Slade GT being a stock unit body underneath. In fact, it too, is a tube frame V8 powered GT.....

For anyone aspiring for a V8 GT or high hp GT, I guess this one is the benchmark for being the best, with apologies to what John B did with his fiberglass GT creation: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1969-opel-gt/

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hp

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNotigan View Post
    And I take that back about the Slade GT being a stock unit body underneath. In fact, it too, is a tube frame V8 powered GT.....

For anyone aspiring for a V8 GT or high hp GT, I guess this one is the benchmark for being the best, with apologies to what John B did with his fiberglass GT creation: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1969-opel-gt/
    For those with deep pockets and nerves check this out. 1000 hp Hennessy. 270.03 Mph Certified. Here's the link to the car. Venom GT | Hennessey Performance
    Now that is fast. Jarrell
    Last edited by soybean; 10-22-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    MikeNotigan likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Downloads
    Uploads
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...-my-boy-4.html

This may not be the best way to do it, but there are a lot of pictures in this thread on how I did a full frame in my GT.
    Good luck with your build, should be a lot of fun to drive. I should be a little north of 300hp.

Pat.
    soybean and Herger like this.
    That looks like it was made for it. Come to think of it, it was made for it!

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
    Geddy Lee/Neil Peart

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now that was sweet. Thanks Mike for finding an posting the article. Jarrell
    MikeNotigan likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vickie & Allen Gage in Ohio built a V8 GT that is some what streetable. They had to put a ladder frame under it to keep from twisting the body. I think they still have not totally solved the cooling problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    soybean likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Patrick, you may get the impression members are not in favor of what you are considering. This is not necessarily the case. It's more that no one wants to see another incomplete project, after all you are on a dedicated Opel GT site and we are all reasonably passionate about our cars(and some are down right psychotically passionate about their GTs. You know who you are).
    At the end of the day it's your life and your car so if you do go for it, I for one look forward to continuing updates and I'm sure others will also come to your aid should you need assistance, whether that be parts, knowledge or beer.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Herger View Post
    I know and I will replace just about everything. It will not be a cheap project, but it will sure be interesting. Who has the street GT with the most power that you guys know of? I would really like to talk to people who have gone through a similar process.
    Just from memory,
    1.) one of the Georgia Opelers put a +/- 220 hp, 2.3l ford turbo(with intercooler) in a GT successfully and
    2.) someone else built a yellow convertible/roadster that undoubtedly had to have frame reinforcements added to it.
    3.)I also remember that someone reinforced a GT body by adding steel tubing inside the rocker panels.
    4.) Several members here have built targa coupes (SteveGT?) by removal of the front half of the roof and these also required body reinforcement as well.
    5.) Several have installed both 60 and 90 degree V-6's in GTs and at least one (Ricky Slade from Gulfport) put an Olds cutlass aluminum v-8 in a GT, although he built complete frame for it.
    6.) Broszzy on this site has done some serious frame and suspension mods on his GT as well.
    These would be some things to research and if I can remember anything more on them, I'll reply more later. Maybe this will jog others memories as well.
    Good Luck!

edit:
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...ero-gt-12.html
    Last edited by SpringGT; 10-23-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    broszzy likes this.

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it seems like we're busting your hump , we just hate to see a good car wasted.

I have an old saying running in a lot if not all the threads like this.

If you have to ask I'm afraid you dont have the skills set to pull it off.
    Be ready to spend a lot of money getting some one to put it right.
    soybean likes this.
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    John B's fiberglass GT was one of those car builds tucked within this site that just makes your jaw drop in awe. A complete fiberglass body, each body part created by doing a one-off replicant part using the original steel stamping. Incredible focus on detail. Underneath, his GT was like a few other high powered v8 GT's done in that a tube frame was fabricated. Basically not much different then a nitro burning funny car, underneath. With the exception being that Rickey Slade GT, using an altered GT body stretched out with steel, maintaining the factory appearance; powered by that Buick/Rover aluminum V8 engine.

Over a year ago or so I was able to make contact, albeit too brief with John B inquiring of the status of that great build, but he was short on details and I believe, he has not made it back to this forum. I'm hoping he is in good health and is able to enjoy that special GT of his.

Most high horsepower GT projects don't survive the first few months after the idea gets floated here, with the exception of John B's creation and maybe a few others I missed. Wishing the best for the OP in his endeavor.
    I'm not in a rush, I will just take my time and one day it will be ready to hit the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevil View Post
    I have 400ish in my kadett coupe, with only a rollcage and m3 rear end. Great fun, ofc too soft for race, but real nice on the streets.
    Nice to hear! No problems with frame twisting or anything?

Opeler
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1966 View Post
    Patrick, you may get the impression members are not in favor of what you are considering. This is not necessarily the case. It's more that no one wants to see another incomplete project, after all you are on a dedicated Opel GT site and we are all reasonably passionate about our cars(and some are down right psychotically passionate about their GTs. You know who you are).
    At the end of the day it's your life and your car so if you do go for it, I for one look forward to continuing updates and I'm sure others will also come to your aid should you need assistance, whether that be parts, knowledge or beer.
    Thanks! I knew I would get those kind of reactions. People here really love their GTs and don't feel they need a bunch of power to enjoy and I respect that. I've wanted a GT for many years now and always wanted to put that engine in it. Last year I discovered that Big Ben had successfully completed that swap in his GT so not impossible at all. I know it will take time and money to get it done, but I'm in no rush so let's see how long it will take.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringGT View Post
    Just from memory,
    1.) one of the Georgia Opelers put a +/- 220 hp, 2.3l ford turbo(with intercooler) in a GT successfully and
    2.) someone else built a yellow convertible/roadster that undoubtedly had to have frame reinforcements added to it.
    3.)I also remember that someone reinforced a GT body by adding steel tubing inside the rocker panels.
    4.) Several members here have built targa coupes (SteveGT?) by removal of the front half of the roof and these also required body reinforcement as well.
    5.) Several have installed both 60 and 90 degree V-6's in GTs and at least one (Ricky Slade from Gulfport) put an Olds cutlass aluminum v-8 in a GT, although he built complete frame for it.
    6.) Broszzy on this site has done some serious frame and suspension mods on his GT as well.
    These would be some things to research and if I can remember anything more on them, I'll reply more later. Maybe this will jog others memories as well.
    Good Luck!

edit:
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...ero-gt-12.html
    I will look into that! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I know it seems like we're busting your hump , we just hate to see a good car wasted.

I have an old saying running in a lot if not all the threads like this.

If you have to ask I'm afraid you dont have the skills set to pull it off.
    Be ready to spend a lot of money getting some one to put it right.
    Has I said in one of the previous posts, I have a great fabricator who built my race car and many others. Projects don't scare us and horsepower doesn't scare me either. The only reason I posted here was to see if someone has done some frame work to their GT and with pictures have a base to start from. Once again, I'm in no rush to get the project done. Might take a few years, who cares. I have no plans on wasting that car. Anyways, that car has not seen the streets for 30 years now. Was sitting in a garage waiting for someone to give it some love when I bought it. Had it for a little bit more than a year now in my garage and just started the project by taking it completely apart.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by broszzy View Post
    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...-my-boy-4.html

This may not be the best way to do it, but there are a lot of pictures in this thread on how I did a full frame in my GT.
    Good luck with your build, should be a lot of fun to drive. I should be a little north of 300hp.

Pat.
    I went through all of your built post. Awesome work!! Last post is almost 3 years old now, did you make any progress since?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Proper ducting and a good electric fan goes a long way to help cooling. At 400 hp you'll probably also want an oil cooler. For the chassis structure, I would benchmark other cars that frequently get power upgrades. Gen 4 GM F-bodies seem like a good place to start. They are also unibody with double wishbone front suspension and a solid rear axle. Several styles of suspension mods and subframe connectors.
    Typically I can't get enough traction to worry about any frame twisting. Except at last week's GRM $2000 Challenge when I tried to launch on warmed up Hoosier road race slicks. . . Don't worry, no frame damage. The front u-joint sacrificed itself to instead.(lower right of the photo.)
    soybean likes this.

Wait a minute, is that a Turbo down there?

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    I and a lot of others saw a small block chevy dropped into a Gt at Charlotte at the Nationals. I won't post pictures on here, you can email me, I'll send them to you, but lets say without hurting any feelings. It wasn't pretty, nor unique, ugly in fact. I won't say anymore.But hey as was posted, do it, drive it to Carlisle Pa, we'll look at it. Jarrell
    Quote Originally Posted by Herger View Post
    Sure will! I would not drop a V8 in a GT, I am sticking to a 4 cylinder. Just not exactly the kind of 4 cylinder we are used to. I'm curious to see those pictures though! I will send you a PM so you can send them to me.
    Sorry it took so long to reply but I had to work. It was so ugly no one took pictures of his car at least I didn't. You might ask about the awards.He was grumbling about not getting a "most unique" award, but I have a picture of him walking away. Mine is the Brown Gt. His is 3 more cars down He was the Guy walking away.Jarrell
    Last edited by kwilford; 10-31-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information