List of best engine swaps? - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: List of best engine swaps?

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to do it best.

Quote Originally Posted by lee33lyn View Post
    I want to get started restoring my 73 GT. I'm just not excited about the original engine. I want to do a engine swap but I'm just can't decide what to put in it. I have a T5-trans. I thought of a Quad 4 or a Ecotec. Is there information on these swaps or others? No V-8s please. I think the V8 is way too heavy for the car. I'm a road racer and would like to be able to take the car out for some laps. I'll be updating the axles and brakes too. I love the styling of the car just no its mechanics.
    thanks Leebo
    The absolute best choice is a Cosworth. Strangely enough, you can buy a complete car in UK, the Fords, for less than an engine will cost you in the US. The other option is the Mercedes Cosworth. The come up often on Ebay and reasonably priced too. Strip off all the garbage and FI, add carbs and no electronic gadgets and fly like the wind. Parts are readily available for this. Dont buy from Mercedes, buy from aftermarket mfrs and save lots of $$.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cam
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2.0 Ecoboost turbo in my 2013 Focus ST would be awesome in a GT, but I have no idea of the work involved. It's about the same weight as the Opel 1.9, but with 252 hp & 270 lb·ft at just 2,500 rpm, it would definitely scoot.

Maybe I should buy a 2nd GT and try that myself!
    dsmith likes this.
    Sunburst yellow 1970 GT, 2.0L w/ header, Tremec T5, Weber 32/36, Pertronix, Sway Bars, BWA Sportstar wheels. Owned since 1973.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Ron(Heliman), it seems that you have a whole lot of room to spare in front of the engine to the oem radiator support, yet I see you have the radiator in front of the support.

Why?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy7575 View Post
    The 2.0 Ecoboost turbo in my 2013 Focus ST would be awesome in a GT, but I have no idea of the work involved. It's about the same weight as the Opel 1.9, but with 252 hp & 270 lb·ft at just 2,500 rpm, it would definitely scoot.

Maybe I should buy a 2nd GT and try that myself!
    While that sounds very interesting I would probably have gone with a 1.0 Ecoboost myself, 3 cylinder, 125 hp and much lighter than the stock engine. That way you'd get back the weight balance of the 1.1 but have better performance than a 1.9.

Not that I would ever put a Ford engine in my Opel of course
    "I hate RallyBob"

TMB
    Opel 4 life
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A stock Honda F20C from a S2000 would work great. 6 speed gearbox, and holding 240hp in its orginal form. Tonns of power, and redline like a wankel.

Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Hey Ron(Heliman), it seems that you have a whole lot of room to spare in front of the engine to the oem radiator support, yet I see you have the radiator in front of the support.

Why?
    The Zetec is about 3 inches shorter then the Opel engine, but sits an inch further forward then stock at the bellhousing. So I still ended up with 2 extra inches of clearance. I would of had plenty of room for a stock or Honda radiator, but I'm using a larger early Mustang radiator that would not fit in the original location. It also allows a better placement for my A/C condenser.
    71 GT, Ford 2.0 Zetec, Jenvey throttle bodies, Omex engine management. Subaru 6 speed transmission , Ford 7.5 4.10 posi narrowed torque arm rear end. Coilover front end with tubular A arms. Electric power steering. Wilwood 4 wheel discs. Budnik 17" wheels. In dash Vintage Air. Dakota Digital gauges. Power windows. Keyless entry. Cruise.

jtb
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    A stock Honda F20C from a S2000 would work great. 6 speed gearbox, and holding 240hp in its orginal form. Tonns of power, and redline like a wankel.
    I considered this swap, but the Honda engine is quite tall and quite expensive, if I recall.

jtb

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

LS1 engine swap?

I was just curious if anyone has done a LS1 engine swap? I have a 71 Opel GT that I have been looking to do the LS swap into it, but do not want it to look like a drag car or anything crazy like that. I will have the fender flares from Opel GT Source on it and the hood as well, so I am thinking with the new hood, the LS1 will fit perfectly under it without having to cut the hood. Just have not seen any LS engines put into one. Any info will be helpful. Thanks

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

List of best engine swaps?

This is the first time that owned 1970 Opel GT, and I want my car to be free of defects and mechanical failure. So the engine swap attracted me a lot.

I want to do engine swap without many and hard fabrication, I want to have modern and small engine with moderate power at the same time, I prefer Japanese engine because it is practical, parts fairly cheap and available in my area, I’m looking for advise .. Which engine do you think will do my objective, Toyota, Honda or Nissan engine?!
    I would appreciate for any help... Thnx.

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the vauxhall or opel c20xe
    this engine looks like it was made for the car and 150 hp on i standard injection

the reason i suggest this engine is the fact that from Lenk in Germany you can buy the engine mounts, exhaust, a smaller fuel injection top hat plenum and more.

It is the only modern engine that i know of that has a dedicated kit of parts for an Opel GT and keeps the car standard with no mods to the body.

It also keeps the car all Opel and has been done countless times, in fact I had one in my GT, but I made all the parts myself and am only going back to the CIH as I need to have a historically correct type engine in order to get special Greek historic vehicle no. plates and historic insurance.

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjwi4455 View Post
    I was just curious if anyone has done a LS1 engine swap? I have a 71 Opel GT that I have been looking to do the LS swap into it, but do not want it to look like a drag car or anything crazy like that. I will have the fender flares from Opel GT Source on it and the hood as well, so I am thinking with the new hood, the LS1 will fit perfectly under it without having to cut the hood. Just have not seen any LS engines put into one. Any info will be helpful. Thanks
    Unless you plan to invest in removing the body and putting it onto a tube chassis, and you transplant the independant rear, etc.. etc.. to the car I wouldnt go LS1.

Normally most are persuaded to NOT go for the 350 for most these same reasons.. the LS due to the EFI, and all aluminium construction would seem to make it a better case. I say it makes it a worse one as the HP On the LS motors is much more than the old 350s.

The LS1 in my GTO with 375 HP and traction control off, the car was virtually uncontrollable in the slightest wet, and we are talking a car designed for it, with independent rear suspension, strut front suspension, etc.. and it weighs 1500 lbs more than the GT.

Quite simply the handling would be VERY Dangerous.. its simply too much power for the car. If your thinking a quarter mile car or a trailer queen to shows, then maybe. But it wouldn't be a very fun car to drive. Neat car to look at sure.. but deadly to drive.

ON the subject of swaps.. I'm partial not tot he Chevy Colorado motor Not sure how it would fit a GT.. But Juan says it will and who am I to doubt him.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

7,000 Post Club wrench459 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    While it's not a easy swap...how about a coyote powerplant?

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Downloads
    Uploads

VW TDI 1.9 for my 70 gt?

I'm sold on VW's ALH series (1999.5- 2003) Turbo Direct Injection Diesel Engines, and I'm thinking of putting one of these inline 4 engines in my 1970 gt. Acme makes an adapter for the TDI engine to a Toyota 5 speed Manual. popular mod for Samurais.. I have this engine in my 02 VW Jetta with a 5 speed manual and really love it. getting around 45-50 mpg... I imagine, with the right gears, the GT will do even better. I will get a new TDI engine for the Opel, or rebuilt. I'm guessing it will fit nicely. I like the stock GT engine but I like the TDI much more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 70opelgt1 View Post
    I'm sold on VW's ALH series (1999.5- 2003) Turbo Direct Injection Diesel Engines, and I'm thinking of putting one of these inline 4 engines in my 1970 gt. Acme makes an adapter for the TDI engine to a Toyota 5 speed Manual. popular mod for Samurais.. I have this engine in my 02 VW Jetta with a 5 speed manual and really love it. getting around 45-50 mpg... I imagine, with the right gears, the GT will do even better. I will get a new TDI engine for the Opel, or rebuilt. I'm guessing it will fit nicely. I like the stock GT engine but I like the TDI much more.
    Well if its already a "kitted" motor that has a lot figured out.. then your limited only by your imagination, and the dimensions of the engine I would say.

As for completed project.. My LK5 is running and installed

Lots of work to do though..
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 70opelgt1 View Post
    I had a 94 Passat Wagon with the previous version of that engine and it's a very nice engine indeed. Mine was the 90 hp version and then I had a chip installed and on a rolling road we got 115 hp and about the same torque as a 3.0 normally aspirated gasoline engine with no adverse effect on the fuel economy. Gotta love modern(ish) turbo diesel engines
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    joe blow
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How about a Toyota 20v 4age motor

Found this on a Kadett C site

1979 opel kadett coupe (toyota 20v 4age) | Retro Rides

Davegt27

Real Name
    Kenneth Boller
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i hate to revive a dead thread from almost a year ago but lots of good info here.

Forgive me if this is a rly dumb question but i am in no way a mechanic of any kind but when doin an engine swap does the transmission matter at all?

if so what engine would be best with an auto?

im in no way rdy to do an engine swap at this time just bored at work and buidling my dream GT in my head lol

im thinking i want atleast the 110hp the 69s had with the higher compression but im wanting do to very little to no cutting or modifications to the car, im NOT a ford guy AT AL but looking at that Zetec and hearing him talk about it hes starting to sell me on it. how well would it go with a stock opel auto trans or would it matter?

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Changing the engine to anything other than an Opel one is a BIG job and not for the inexperienced. Few people on this site can help you if you have trouble with the engine later on. You'll have to change the tranny and maybe even the rear axle and you'll likely have to have all sorts of hunks of the original car chopped out to fit it and a good welder to put engine supports in.

A newly rebuilt and machined 2.0 Opel engine with the big valves would cost you about $2500 from Opel GT Source, much less if you do a lot of the work yourself. But since you're a novice, I would suggest taking the short route and spending the bucks on an already made engine from the best people to get one from. Some of our best and most knowledgable guys, who've done countless hours of research and have all sorts of charts and info, have had trouble with the engines they've done themselves and they were at it for over a year. Often the highly respected machine shop they took their head to goofed on something.

If you add up your time chasing Chevy pistons and Chrysler rods and Ford rings in just the right size and doing all the research, it would easily add up to $2500 at $10 an hour. And will your new do it yourself engine work better than the $2500 one done by experts? I doubt it.

The 110-120hp you'll get out of a high comp 1.9 or a big valve 2.0 is more than enough to make these 2000lb cars fly like a bat out of hell and easily compete with modern cars.

There's plenty of other things to fix up on an old car that are way more fun than greasy, grimy, engines. And most of that stuff you can do yourself or with a little help from us and most can be done at relatively low cost. Leave engine stuff to the experts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1-omYCb9c

This 4 banger will fit with just a few mods.
    That looks like it was made for it. Come to think of it, it was made for it!

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
    Geddy Lee/Neil Peart

7,000 Post Club wrench459 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pound per pound
    You'll need to plant at the very least 175 rear wheel HP to keep up with the late model four cylinders.
    The Honda's will slam your butt...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information