2.4 CIH Install into Opel GT - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 2.4 CIH Install into Opel GT

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FYI.. Rav cut the ends off the 2.4L Manifolds and shipped them with the engines.

I have a number of 1.9L and 2.0L manifolds handy and was planning on modifying them to fit the engines.

Will get a price from my local shop to get the work done. If anyone is interested.

They did FTs intake be it with a RallyBob Flange.. Figured I may get them to make me 4 or 5 manifolds if the interest is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so I am confused, again. I have one of the 2.4's, in this shipment from Rav. I was under the impression that I was buying a complete 2.4 with fuel injection, ecu, and harness.
    Are these long blocks to be converted back to carbed versions? Not sure now, what I am buying.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by krewzer View Post
    Ok, so I am confused, again. I have one of the 2.4's, in this shipment from Rav. I was under the impression that I was buying a complete 2.4 with fuel injection, ecu, and harness.
    Are these long blocks to be converted back to carbed versions? Not sure now, what I am buying.
    You can either go EFI, or Carb. Its whatever you want to do to it. We didn't ship the oil pans or the manifolds as they would take space and didn't fit the GT anyway.

I was planning to send those that got the whole motor a spare 1.9L manifold I have to go with the EFI and the 2.4L ends off the 2.4L manifold so have options on making it work or I can get my local shop to do the mating for you. It was $200 to do it with the RallyBob flange, if I do a few of them at a time I could possibly get them made cheaper.

You will need to modify and reuse your oil pan, as the Frontera one will not fit in a GT.

Other than that, it should be complete to include the EFI harness, and bits and pieces, starter and alternator too.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 06-15-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, thanks. I have a long runner intake, that I got from Gil, for an EFI/TBI conversion. I had never seen one of these before, but I believe he used one on his Conrero version. It will need the 2.4 intake flange to fit the new head.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, thanks. I have a long runner intake, that I got from Gil, for an EFI/TBI conversion. I had never seen one of these before, but I believe he used one on his Conrero version. It will need the 2.4 intake flange to fit the new head.
    That or it would seem you can modify the old one.. not sure. Not having done it myself yet.

But thats why I had him cut the ends off the 2.4L manifolds and send them with the engines just in case. If your not going to use the stock EFI let me know and we can work out something.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will wait to see what arrives, before making a decision. I do want to FI, but which system...?
    GoinManta likes this.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2.4 intake manifold will not fit under a GT hood, WAY too tall, which is why Charles had them just cut off the flange so that you would have something to work with.
    GoinManta likes this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much too tall are those manifolds? An inch? More? Are they still too big if your car has one of the Lenk hoods with the "power bulge"? Do the 2.4 intake thingies clear the cowling? If all that's needed is to put a different hood on, that's better than modding the intake and probably cheaper.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    How much too tall are those manifolds? An inch? More? Are they still too big if your car has one of the Lenk hoods with the "power bulge"? Do the 2.4 intake thingies clear the cowling? If all that's needed is to put a different hood on, that's better than modding the intake and probably cheaper.

THink will fit under a Lenk Hood, or somethign tall like it.

BUT most people don't want that.. they want to look stock. Also I wouldnt say cheaper those hoods can be pricey.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2.2 manifold that just barely fits under the hood and slopes with the hood measures 8 1/2" from the centerline of the ports to the top of the manifold. The 2.4 manifold which does not slope much at all measures 10" from the centerline of the ports to the top of the manifold and it is also wider than the 2.2. (Face of ports to outside of manifold). I looked at cutting down the 2.4 but it is almost impossible because of the configuration of the runners.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I have 3 or 4 raised-port flanges left over still, if someone wants to modify a 1.9/2.0 EFI intake to fit the raised-port 2.2 or 2.4 head.

My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's an additional benefit to that extra 3/4" of metal below the intakes: That "foot" virtually eliminates vacuum leaks by having more surface area, but mainly that it prevents your carb intake from wobbling up and down and working the screws loose. Bob welded similar feet to the bottom of my single side draft Midikit 2.0 manifold that he hogged out and ported for a 2.4. That sucker doesn't budge.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I want one of those flanges! Bob, I sent a PM.

Wes

Real Name
    Nick Barry
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I have mentioned this on page 2 but

I have a 2.2 engine with a 2.4 head

What I did to solve the problem was to find a 3 litre 6 cylinder manifold and cut off 2 of the runners
    The benefit is larger runners that flow better than all the other standard manifolds.
    I welded, brazed mine back together using welding rods that stick the aluminium together ie more like brazing. Aluminium repair with HTS2000
    I used the stove to preheat the parts along with a map gas torch to heat up locally the areas that were needed.

I have lowered the engine slightly by using non standard engine mounts, much cheaper than standard ones. The way I have done it should leave room for the hood opening mechanism, some thing you can have a problem with on some modified manifolds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nickincrete; 06-18-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nickincrete View Post
    I think I have mentioned this on page 2 but

I have a 2.2 engine with a 2.4 head

What I did to solve the problem was to find a 3 litre 6 cylinder manifold and cut off 2 of the runners
    The benefit is larger runners that flow better than all the other standard manifolds.
    I welded, brazed mine back together using welding rods that stick the aluminium together ie more like brazing. Aluminium repair with HTS2000
    I used the stove to preheat the parts along with a map gas torch to heat up locally the areas that were needed.

I have lowered the engine slightly by using non standard engine mounts, much cheaper than standard ones. The way I have done it should leave room for the hood opening mechanism, some thing you can have a problem with on some modified manifolds.
    First issue with that option is finding a 3.0L manifold. They are rarer in the US than the 2.4L motor itself. That said told the 75 manifold with the Rallye Bob Flange works well and fits. Also Just so happens I am happen to have about 6 manifolds and (soon) 4 flanges.

FWIW I got them to give to the guys getting the motors from me. Figured I said complete motors. The motors wouldnt be complete without a efi manifold that fits.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

7,000 Post Club wrench459 (R.I.P.)'s Avatar
    Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the Key things to keep in mind.
    The difference between wet and dry air flow...

With late model cars has two air channels.
    One is a narrow path for low speed...then switches over to a short fat runner.

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Real Name
    Patrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are they still too big if your car has one of the Lenk hoods with the "power bulge"?

I believe the red Opel GT on the OGTS site is running the 2.4 intake with the Lenk hood. Feel free to ask Gil but that is what I am recalling.

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pbboy12 View Post
    I believe the red Opel GT on the OGTS site is running the 2.4 intake with the Lenk hood. Feel free to ask Gil but that is what I am recalling.
    Talking about this car?

That car has a 2.4 16-valve (Manta 400) engine. With 48 mm sidedraft Weber carbs. It doesn't need the hood scoop for clearance. It's just for looks.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Patrick
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last time I talked to Gil I believe he said "I hate that hood and would change it if I didn't have clearance issues". Maybe he was referring to a different car or a different issue, idk. It might be worth giving him a call before pulling the trigger on anything.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pbboy12 View Post
    Last time I talked to Gil I believe he said "I hate that hood and would change it if I didn't have clearance issues". Maybe he was referring to a different car or a different issue, idk. It might be worth giving him a call before pulling the trigger on anything.
    I was going to comment on that hood also, but my Mother told "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!" One of the things I am not going to say is "UGLY", because Mom was usually right!

Doug

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information