Manta A - Swap in a New Diesel
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manta A - Swap in a New Diesel

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Manta A - New Diesel

Hello,

Assuming this is in the correct forum, I would like in future to build a Manta A with a TDI - new technology in classic body. I have read about the new Opel engines that will be coming out (twin turbo Ecotec 212 hp anyone?), as well as the current line of engines, so are there any suggestions re. a checklist for mods? I plan for the car to be visually stock outside with all mods under the skin. I am looking for places to start and any ideas / suggestions etc.

Thanks,

Ian B.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I moved this to the Engine Swap Forum...
    Interesting concept. New, high-tech low fuel consumption engine with good bottom-end torque, in a classic body. What are your donor options in Japan with a RWD configuration?
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know how possible it is, I'm not an AWD expert, but is it possible to take a 4 motion VW/Audi and just use the rear wheels to drive, instead of all 4? I would imagine you could just disconnect the front, but I'm not sure.... I don't think you can get the 4 motion with the TDI though... I know you can get it with the VR6 and a few more Audis have it. Just a thought
    Last edited by simplemind7; 01-11-2005 at 12:32 AM. Reason: I can't spell

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by simplemind7
    I don't know how possible it is, I'm not an AWD expert, but is it possible to take a 4 motion VW/Audi and just use the rear wheels to drive, instead of all 4? I would imagine you could just disconnect the front, but I'm not sure.... I don't think you can get the 4 motion with the TDI though... I know you can get it with the VR6 and a few more Audis have it. Just a thought
    2 down sides to this
    1: the vw engines are all transverse so wont go in without major body changes
    2: if you pull the front shafts it will not run as the drive trys to go to the missing wheels
    you would need something like the european ford system (from a merker /granada ) where you have an inline drive and a take off box to put the drive to a front axel that almost matches the layout of a gt
    An Eagle may fly high but a Weasel doesnt get sucked into a jet engine.

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

MantaA - Swap in a New Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by kwilford
    I moved this to the Engine Swap Forum...
    Interesting concept. New, high-tech low fuel consumption engine with good bottom-end torque, in a classic body. What are your donor options in Japan with a RWD configuration?
    Not very good Keith. I was first thinking about an Isuzu 1.8 TDI, but they
    are thin on the ground now and Euro diesels are progressing in such leaps and bounds, a Japanese unit would be a temporary measure. The other Japanese offerings are slower unless I upgrade electrics / mess around with upagraded Intercoolers etc. and that is not my aim. My preference is therefore to keep it Opel and use the later Euro technology for new diesels to get some real power / driveabilty and economy.

I am also a biodiesel enthusiast (I have just started making it here to use in our Nissan) and have a lot of local interest for Toyota / Mitsi 4WDs etc. But these engines are large / heavy and older technology and not REALLY my kind of vehicle. I prefer driver's cars which is why I am looking to the new engines / transmissions. I know itis expensive, but I don't buy new cars as a rule, so I figure I am still ahead.

The aim is for comparable HP to the ORIGINAL gasoline engine as a start - after that I am open to what is on offer. It looks more and more like modern Euro diesels will be able to offer hp / torque on a par with gasoline vehiccles as to be virtually indistinguishable. Can anyone re-confirm the stock HP figues for the 1.9S and 1.6S?

I just like the Manta A body style - combine that with modern (and admittedly / hopefully powerful) powerplant tucked away under the hood and I am a happy camper.

Regards,

Ian B.

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ian the book says 16s/80 ps
    19s/ 90ps
    19US/78ps

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

MantaA - Swap in a New Diesel

HI Baz,

Thanks for the info - appreciated.

Ian B.

Upgraded Wannabe Knowital CoriolisSTORM's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just thinking about this today. Wouldn't it be possible though to swap out some parts on a TDI and make it laterally mounted instead of transverse? I know that VW did make some older RWD diesel engines too, just not sure about MPGs or reliability to them. I am thinking about this with my Ascona too. Or maybe an older Mercedes diesel?

Moderator Site Supporter neuropel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been looking into this as well, as I've recently become a Diesel nut (now own TWO Dodge Cummins and a VW diesel will be in garage someday). Acme Adapters makes a kit (with flywheel) to mate a TDi to a Toyota transmission with a bellhousing pattern for a 22re motor. You should be able to then use any number of Toyota transmissions with that bellhousing (i.e. like a RWD Celica). Perhaps one of the Supra trannies from the 90s would work too - one of the transmissions from the higher-powered cars should hold up to the diesel I would think...they made some pretty beefy turbo cars. I have NO idea of the size of those transmissions.

Also, many people have used the VW TDi in Suzuki Samurais with great success. There is an adapter that allows the use of the Samurai tranny. I don't know if that would get you any additional options, but perhaps there's another RWD tranny that you could use with that same adapter. I'm not sure if the Samurai had a divorced transfer case or whether it was integrated with the transmission, but I suspect there are some options out there for you. I think a TDi Manta would be awesome! 50+MPG, good performance, and good looks! I'm convinced this IS doable, and possibly at a semi-reasonable cost. A pre-2000 VW diesel doesn't require all the electronics and would be excellent to prototype with. Once that's all worked out, you can upgrade to the EXCELLENT, more powerful 1.9TDI that has the same bolt pattern.

Here's a link for you to check out: www.acmeadapters.com

Todd K.
    Last edited by neuropel; 07-07-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    Paddle faster...I hear banjo music!
    1967 Kadett L Rallye 1.1L

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you want to keep it in house then opel use ISUZU diesels
    my vectra has the 2 litre turbo performance is around the same as a GT but it gets about 45 miles to a US gallon and will top out at 120
    im sure there must be a rwd box in the isuzu family of cars and trucks that would fit and has 5-6 gears

Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Baz,
    I take it this is different than the Opel diesel that uses the same block as our CIH engines? They seem to have a poor reputation.
    Todd

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome. That almost makes me want to scrap my 1.1L plan. Their kits are relatively cheap. And I'm sure it would be cheaper if I only got the parts I needed and not the "full tracker" conversion kit.
    Last edited by tekenaar; 07-07-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    Chris
    Loveland, Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aren't Audi engines all longitudinal? I don't know if the Audi TDI is available in North America, but at least the engine is pointed in the right direction. Then you just need to mate the engine to the Opel bell housing.

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes todd its a different engine i will do some measuring and photos of it tomorrow and put them up if you want ,the turbo sits high on the head and i think it would line up with the hump on the hood so fit would be good ,i just have not looked at the gearbox of it to see what pattern it is , it could be a straght fit for all i know

Real Name
    Todd Kirby
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't go out of your way for me Baz, but it would be interesting to document. I have WAY too many projects and too little time. A shame the diesel you have isn't available here! With the new diesel standards going into effect this fall in the US, the traditionally poor diesel offerings here is about to change! Soon we'll see the nice BMW, Mercedes, and Toyota diesels. I personally can't wait!

Todd

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    todd its some thing i want to look at anyway but have been to busy to do or the weather has been to wet to play so if tomorrow goes as the weather guess says i will be doing it anyway

do you not get a SAAB 93 or 95 with a diesel engine ? its all GM family and is a vectra with a party frock on so you might get it and not know , i thought ISUZU sold in the states too i know we now get asian cars under the chevy banner
    if my diesel would bolt up to a getrag i would even think of looking for another gt to put it into

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by neuropel
    Don't go out of your way for me Baz, but it would be interesting to document. I have WAY too many projects and too little time. A shame the diesel you have isn't available here! With the new diesel standards going into effect this fall in the US, the traditionally poor diesel offerings here is about to change! Soon we'll see the nice BMW, Mercedes, and Toyota diesels. I personally can't wait!

Todd
    Yes! I am ready for the low sulfur diesel, and the changes it will bring here! I will go to work for Mercedes as an apprentice in August, and already have a friend that works there now. But I'm not sure if we can talk about this or not, but I know there is supposed to be a really efficient diesel based SUV coming out of the plant in Vance soon. Not to mention the already advanced (and extremely quiet) diesel M Class that we make already. But it isn't sold here because of CA and NY's Nazi air control junk. I do know that the Isuzu iMark diesel was here for a while though. I'm looking for one of those right now to use to power my Ascona, that or a VW diesel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hah! Found it, sorry for the double post, but here's a link on them.
    http://www.autospectator.com/modules...p?storyid=4002

baz
    Real Name
    barry williams
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just read the link and i can see it now .
    some lonely back road , your standing there with the urea tank cap off and your zip down after a night in the local roadhouse
    suddenly there are blue and red disco lights all around and you have to stand there and tell the gardian of the law that you are just topping up the anti pollution tank on the car

no photos yet todd rain and my camera dont mix

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by baz
    do you not get a SAAB 93 or 95 with a diesel engine ?
    Sorry to say, no we don't. We can only get the 93 with the 2.0 or a new V6 with a japanese turbo and the only engine we get on the 95 is the 2.3. The 3.0 V6 was discontinued a few years back. All engines are gasoline(petrol)
    Jeff
    1972 Opel GT, Owner since 1983
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE 3.0 Turbo V6 Weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    1973 GT, Parted out, R.I.P.
    1968 Kadett, Owner since 2006, Sold, 28 June 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information