Speaking of Opel 2.4L CIH motors and Opel Fronteras. - Page 3
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Speaking of Opel 2.4L CIH motors and Opel Fronteras.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    I can't wait to add 3.18 gears and a 4th gear. That should really help the highway gears and mpg. We will have to wait and see.
    Why would you change to 3:18 if you installed the 4sp auto? Is the fourth not an overdrive? If not, that makes sense, but if it is an OD why loose torque in the first three gears? Sorry for going off topic.
    Last edited by Vincent; 03-31-2016 at 11:47 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    3.18 gears in 1-3 would be the same as the TH180 1-3 which is still "buzzy" in the Kadett.

4th gear would be for when I go to Carlisle, Charlotte, etc.. highway MPG, and much lower RPMs..

Its not for power I would be doing this.. I already did the 2.0L for that, it would be for noise.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well we finally got a quote from a reputable company.. and its $900 per pallet for 2 Pallets of 400KG.. Door to Door. I did get a few lower prices, but they were port to port, and given he is on the Poland/Germany/Czech border.. it would cost more to take them to a port to "save" money. and it still beats the original prices we were getting by about a $800-$1000

That doesn't include customs and brokerage in the US and that could add to it a good bit.

Still trying to get a handle on that.

SO.. If $1000 for the motor, $300 ( 900/3 ) shipping, $100 for Customs/Brokerage. Looks like we can comfortably these prices will be good.

2.4L Crank/Rods/Piston set = $750 USD shipped

2.4L Stripped block ( NO EFI, NO Oil Pan ( Not that you need it ) ) - $1400 USD

2.4L Complete with EFI wiring and ECU = $1800 USD

But as Rav noted, the 2.4L Exhaust manifolds are often cracked, and he doesn't get a lot of good ones. That said, both Opel GTS and Opels Unlimited Have headers, nothing special about the 2.4L Exhaust if memory serves. No sense in shipping a heavy chunk of iron if its really not worth it. So to answer a previous question, no on the exhaust manifolds.

Now the question is how much can he get on a pallet or Crate. Price is the same. So we are thinking going Crate, that may cost a little more to make, but it will protect our stuff better and give more room for the lighter items on top like the EFI setups.

We will see if we can get some 5 speeds, to go along with this. Obviously shipping and handling will be about $400 for any large item, on top of what Rav pays and wants for it.

Also as noted in the beginning all items are As-Is.. no warranty, outside of being complete, and not frozen or showing any sign of damage. Once we finish up if anyone wants to get on German ebay, and buy their own Getrag and send it to RAV for inclusion in the shipping and we have room. We will gladly accommodate as we have room.

As you can see Rav has been on ebay since 2003

ravt16v on eBay

Has a 3417 rating with a 99.7% rate.. which for ANYONE selling used parts on ebay is amazing. His ONE negative in the last year ( Out of 367 positives ) was a cracked head complaint.

I will also check with him on availability there of ring and bearing kits as they are a little different than our Opels. IN case Gil or Todd don't have any.

So there we are, currently have two interested in getting one, my 4 speed, auto, leaving room for 3 or 4 more big items. Waiting on pictures and particulars from Rav.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 04-01-2016 at 10:12 AM.
    guyopel likes this.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bit higher than I expected but he's obviously a bit further from a sea port than I am *and* it's in the other direction which could influence the price quite a bit depending on which direction is the busiest.

Considering whoever gets in on this will have someone else doing all the "heavy lifting" of finding the engines and getting them into the US that sounds like a decent deal to me but then again I have no idea what OGTS charges for a "known good" used engine.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    Bit higher than I expected but he's obviously a bit further from a sea port than I am *and* it's in the other direction which could influence the price quite a bit depending on which direction is the busiest.

Considering whoever gets in on this will have someone else doing all the "heavy lifting" of finding the engines and getting them into the US that sounds like a decent deal to me but then again I have no idea what OGTS charges for a "known good" used engine.
    He doesn't sell them like that anymore.. his price has been around $3500 and I think that is refreshed with new rings, bearings and gaskets, if memory serves.

But think that is the long block and not with the EFI.

FWIW :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pleuellager-H...3D271140124290

160 euro for bearing and rod kit for 2.4L pretty available there. So if anyone wants to add $200 per motor and we can send new bearing and ring kits. I can have RAV check the bearings they have in them to make sure the motor doesn't have oversized in it from the factory or something, that the crank isn't worn funny, etc. But STD should be fine, as most these motors are coming from running cars, and we will be able to visually inspect if they have any large amount of wear in the cylinder walls, etc..
    Last edited by GoinManta; 04-01-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the possibility of just getting a 2.4 crankshaft?

Stock 2.4 pistons are fragile junk, and aftermarket rods are cheap enough that I wouldn't want/need stock ones.
    wrench459 (R.I.P.) likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    3.18 gears in 1-3 would be the same as the TH180 1-3 which is still "buzzy" in the Kadett.

4th gear would be for when I go to Carlisle, Charlotte, etc.. highway MPG, and much lower RPMs..

Its not for power I would be doing this.. I already did the 2.0L for that, it would be for noise.
    What's the 4th gear ratio? Your 2.0 litre might not have enough grunt to pull an overdrive with a 3.18 axle. Unless you're doing 90 mph+....
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    What's the possibility of just getting a 2.4 crankshaft?

Stock 2.4 pistons are fragile junk, and aftermarket rods are cheap enough that I wouldn't want/need stock ones.
    Tell us the secret on what you plan on doing with it.. and I'll even pay the shipping.

BUt yes I am sure if he has any I can get one or two.. just have to get price. They maybe scarred and the seconds. But I think you maybe able to do something with them.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the 4th gear ratio? Your 2.0 litre might not have enough grunt to pull an overdrive with a 3.18 axle. Unless you're doing 90 mph+....
    0.69 I would have it switched off unless doing over 65.. ( Wouldnt want to speed.. )
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was about to post something similar, my Manta with a Getrag and 3.44 would barely accelerate at all in in 5th gear with the near stock FI 2.0 and I often had to shift down for longer inclines on the motorway. An even longer top gear and a 3.18 ..... if you have the parts around anyways it may be worth the labor to test it but not of you have to put any money into it

In my opinion
    "I hate RallyBob"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know if it would make sense, economically, but I could use a few small things if he can get them. Hard to find here but shouldn't be hard there.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess I will stick the 3.18 ( A bit easier to do ) and see how it goes from there.

I may still get it and bring it over for the Bitter owners.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess I will stick the 3.18 ( A bit easier to do ) and see how it goes from there.

I may still get it and bring it over for the Bitter owners.
    Wouldn't it be better to go with a 3.44 and the 4 sp to get the best of both, decent acc in the bottom 3 gears and the cruising ability of the 4th gear and sell the 3.18 to some GT owner who can't use a 4 sp perhaps ?

Just thinking out loud, if your Polish connection can find Getrag and 4 sp Auto boxes he might be able to find you 3.44 axles with LSD as well, they do show up from time to time as they were part of the "GSi package" on the 84-88 Manta. Another one of those items that isn't usually economically feasible for guys on your side of the pond
    "I hate RallyBob"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to go with a 3.44 and the 4 sp to get the best of both, decent acc in the bottom 3 gears and the cruising ability of the 4th gear and sell the 3.18 to some GT owner who can't use a 4 sp perhaps ?

Just thinking out loud, if your Polish connection can find Getrag and 4 sp Auto boxes he might be able to find you 3.44 axles with LSD as well, they do show up from time to time as they were part of the "GSi package" on the 84-88 Manta. Another one of those items that isn't usually economically feasible for guys on your side of the pond
    And a relative throwaway item on your side.

That's what helps us guys over here. Stuff you guys toss in the rubbish are gold in our hands.

Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So are the bearings and rings for a 2.4 hard to obtain here in the states? I figured both would be easy to get....
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Charles, if your connection CAN source opel LSD rear ends I'd be in for one
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 69whitegt View Post
    So are the bearings and rings for a 2.4 hard to obtain here in the states? I figured both would be easy to get....
    Same bearings as the other CIH engines, I believe.

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    And a relative throwaway item on your side.

That's what helps us guys over here. Stuff you guys toss in the rubbish are gold in our hands.
    With an emphasis on "relative" .... an LSD equipped axle is still something that will fetch a decent price over here but at least they show up every now and then and yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking.
    "I hate RallyBob"

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    0.69 I would have it switched off unless doing over 65.. ( Wouldnt want to speed.. )
    Wow. 2.19 final drive. 2000 rpm at 66 mph. Definitely not enough grunt with a 2.0.

Why not a 3.67 axle with OD? Gives you acceleration when you need it and still have a 2.53 final drive. A 3.44 with Getrag is only 2.76 in 5th gear.
    GoinManta likes this.
    My Flickr photos.

Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tell us the secret on what you plan on doing with it.. and I'll even pay the shipping.
    Nothing secret. Lighten the counterweights so it revs easier. Offset grind the rod journals. Longer rods. Custom pistons. 2570 cc's.
    GoinManta likes this.
    My Flickr photos.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information