Speaking of Opel 2.4L CIH motors and Opel Fronteras.
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 349
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Speaking of Opel 2.4L CIH motors and Opel Fronteras.

  1. #1
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Speaking of Opel 2.4L CIH motors and Opel Fronteras.

    If anyone knows anything about Pick-A-Parts that the magic years are 10-20 year old cars.

    Well in my search for some 2.4L EFI parts, I made contact with a parts recycler in Poland on the other side of the German border.

    He is getting a number of Fronteras now to the tune of a few 2.4Ls a month.

    He strips the motor and then sends the bodies to Russia as parts.

    So.... I am looking to get a number of 2.4Ls, a 4 speed automatic ( He found one of the Senator A ones for me.. ) and maybe some other parts and shipping them to me in a 1992 Frontera

    So the real question is... who is in the market for a complete intake to oil pan 2.4L ? These will probably have to be picked up in Virginia, ( Or possibly Carlisle/Charlotte) and will need a complete going over, i.e. tear down, new bearings, rings and gaskets. But they will be complete and good to go, not locked up.

    Cost will be about $2000-$2500 each once we get pricing on shipping.

    I was going to crate ship a few, but the cost to ship a crate just 2 was a lot.

    Buying a car and then shipping it looked cheaper. I kind of always wanted a Frontera anyway.

    I wouldn't think I would have them for Carlisle, but probably Charlotte.

    FWIW Found this gem..

    https://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-...o-opel-gt.html
    Last edited by tekenaar; 06-14-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    ggl
    ggl is offline
    2000 Post Club ggl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,613
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    I was going to crate ship a few, but the cost to ship a crate was nuts..
    Are you sure you got the price for sea freight and not air freight on those crates ?

    I had over 50 lbs worth of brake parts shipped to me from the US and the actual shipping cost was around 50 dollars

    I used my shipping agent's calculator and I figured I could get 2 engines on a standard sized pallet (what we call a "Eur1" pallet here, 31.5x47.24 in) the shipping cost from the US to Norway would be around 250-300 dollars for the pallet.

    If you go with the "fill up the car option" just be aware that you can't ship it as a "roll on roll off" item and it will be need to be loaded into a container. They won' accept *any* loose items inside a car when shipped as "ro-ro" and they almost threw out the full and half tonneau covers for my TR6 that was stored in the booth despite it being obvious that they belonged to the car because they matched the interior color.

    Frontera eh, they neve sold that many of them here and I haven't seen one on the road for ages and I just checked the biggest used car web site here and while there was 11 Fronteras for sale on there none of them had the 2.4 petrol engine
    "I hate RallyBob"


  4. #3
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    Are you sure you got the price for sea freight and not air freight on those crates ?

    I had over 50 lbs worth of brake parts shipped to me from the US and the actual shipping cost was around 50 dollars

    I used my shipping agent's calculator and I figured I could get 2 engines on a standard sized pallet (what we call a "Eur1" pallet here, 31.5x47.24 in) the shipping cost from the US to Norway would be around 250-300 dollars for the pallet.

    If you go with the "fill up the car option" just be aware that you can't ship it as a "roll on roll off" item and it will be need to be loaded into a container. They won' accept *any* loose items inside a car when shipped as "ro-ro" and they almost threw out the full and half tonneau covers for my TR6 that was stored in the booth despite it being obvious that they belonged to the car because they matched the interior color.

    Frontera eh, they neve sold that many of them here and I haven't seen one on the road for ages and I just checked the biggest used car web site here and while there was 11 Fronteras for sale on there none of them had the 2.4 petrol engine
    Thanks I will check with him.

    Who is your agent..?
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    1000 Post Club
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,494
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

  7. #5
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    2.4L parts have been offered recently on Ebay by seller "ravt16v" who lists his location as Bogatynia, Poland.
    Yes that would be the guy.. and your point..?

    Obviously shipping in bulk for something that weighs 200 KG is the way to go.

    Are you offering to arrange everything..?
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  8. #6
    Opeler 69whitegt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    718
    Real Name
    David
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Charles, keep me in the loop on this. I may be interested in one if the price with shipping is reasonable.

    David
    ____________________________
    Rust is one thing GT's could do without!
    . 1972 GT " Ms. Cali "
    . 1.9 High Comp.
    . Sprint Manifold
    . 32/36 Weber
    . 5 speed Getrag, ditched 4 speed in 2016, ditched the factory TH180 in 2012.
    . Isky OR-66 camshaft

  9. #7
    ggl
    ggl is offline
    2000 Post Club ggl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,613
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Thanks I will check with him.

    Who is your agent..?
    I use a company called Jetcarrier.com but they don't do Europe to US but they probably have connections that might be able to help. They provide a proxy addy in the US that I can have stuff shipped to and then when all of my stuff has arrived they toss it in a container and ship it across the pond and then arrange shipping to my house or I can pick it up at their goods terminal here. The low exchange rate of the dollar made the US a very interesting place for Europeans to shop so there are a number of companies like this catering to Europeans.

    I assume there are similar companies providing the same service to US citizens as well now that the dollar is stronger again but for something like this I bet a pro shipping agent would be just as useful

    The great thing about sea freight is not only will the rates be cheaper for obvious reasons but we're also getting very good deals on smaller stuff like this because it helps them fill up the containers. The stuff we ship is basically a bonus for them because of the surplus shipping capacity whereas for air freight you're competing for space.

    I did a quick Google search and this company doesn't list container freight from Europe to the US but they do list cars from Germany to Europe so it may be worth checking with them, at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction

    International Car Shipping from USA. Get Cost to Ship Auto Overseas.
    "I hate RallyBob"


  10. #8
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 69whitegt View Post
    Charles, keep me in the loop on this. I may be interested in one if the price with shipping is reasonable.

    David
    We are looking at shipping options.. He hasn't shipped a crate or container before.But he ( as everyone can see on his Ebay profile ) dealt with shipping items to the US, but usually smaller things.

    He is the one I got my 2.4L fuel rail from.

    If I do the small container thing.. then I can bring over 4-6 engines and misc.. so it could really cut the costs for everyone. Basically the long block cost is 800-1100 euro depending on mileage and overall condition, also if it is with or without the EFI. Then there is shipping, customs, duty, etc..

    I'm doing this mainly to save on shipping for me and help others that don't want to deal with the logistics. Kill two birds with one stone, and save money for everyone.

    Right now he is getting in a few Fronteras a month, and if he can sell in bulk that could also help with prices. So the more people interested the lower the cost.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  11. #9
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    I use a company called Jetcarrier.com but they don't do Europe to US but they probably have connections that might be able to help. They provide a proxy addy in the US that I can have stuff shipped to and then when all of my stuff has arrived they toss it in a container and ship it across the pond and then arrange shipping to my house or I can pick it up at their goods terminal here. The low exchange rate of the dollar made the US a very interesting place for Europeans to shop so there are a number of companies like this catering to Europeans.

    I assume there are similar companies providing the same service to US citizens as well now that the dollar is stronger again but for something like this I bet a pro shipping agent would be just as useful

    The great thing about sea freight is not only will the rates be cheaper for obvious reasons but we're also getting very good deals on smaller stuff like this because it helps them fill up the containers. The stuff we ship is basically a bonus for them because of the surplus shipping capacity whereas for air freight you're competing for space.

    I did a quick Google search and this company doesn't list container freight from Europe to the US but they do list cars from Germany to Europe so it may be worth checking with them, at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction

    International Car Shipping from USA. Get Cost to Ship Auto Overseas.
    Thanks yea.. I see that a lot ( The US to Europe service.. ) but havent been able to find a good one that is the other way around. Must be a customs thing.
    Last edited by GoinManta; 03-29-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  12. #10
    ggl
    ggl is offline
    2000 Post Club ggl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,613
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Ahem.. GGL clear you PM box
    ....I've been George'd
    "I hate RallyBob"


  13. #11
    1000 Post Club kwschumm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,839
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    I'd be interested in a 2.4, depending on price with shipping and getting it to Washington.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

  14. #12
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    I'd be interested in a 2.4, depending on price with shipping and getting it to Washington.
    Price would be in the $2000 range.. depending on if you want the EFI or not.

    Shipping would be on you. Look online for LTL crate.. but would guess $300-$500
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  15. #13
    1000 Post Club kwschumm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,839
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Price would be in the $2000 range.. depending on if you want the EFI or not.

    Shipping would be on you. Look online for LTL crate.. but would guess $300-$500
    Happy to pay shipping and crating. Have you used someone to crate stuff before? I'd build the crate except for being on the other side of the country.

    Are used engines typically shipped drained of oil or is that an additional hassle? A few drops are to be expected but nobody wants an oil flood.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

  16. #14
    Opeler Yellow73GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    N.Dak.
    Posts
    1,018
    Real Name
    Chuck
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    I would be HUGEly interested in a 2.4, unfortunetly with being layed off and money tight AND the fact that I have everything or have invested in everything to do the 2.0 option AND I have (3) 1.9's AND it would be best if I had a Getrag 5 speed to go with a 2.4, and all I have is (3) 4 speeds,................................ well you can see where I am at with the idea. Oh well, to dream
    "Be Water, My Friend" Bruce Lee, December 9, 1971

  17. #15
    Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Spofford, NH
    Posts
    13,036
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Not sure about current laws, but back in the day I needed to have the sender in Europe remove the cylinder head from any complete late model engines I shipped from Europe. At that point they qualified as replacement parts per customs and the EPA.

    Shipping a 'complete' engine without paperwork showing EPA compliance meant the engines could be seized and crushed at your expense.

    Might want to check with customs first.

    Definitely want oil drained first BTW!
    GoinManta likes this.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

    '70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

  18. #16
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Well they will be drained.. AND in pieces. Shipping an engine to the US is a no-no, shipping heads and long blocks.. thats OK.. ( Go figure )

    So far with shipping its looking like about..

    2.4L Crank/Rods/Piston set = 900 USD shipped

    2.4L Stripped block ( NO EFI, NO Oil Pan ( Not that you need it ) ) - 1500 USD

    2.4L Complete with EFI wiring and ECU = 2000 USD

    IF I get ( and its really dependent on how many people step up ) a container.. if anyone wants finds something on ebay Germany they want, I could find room in the container.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  19. #17
    Member mschinelli3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    485
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Well they will be drained.. AND in pieces. Shipping an engine to the US is a no-no, shipping heads and long blocks.. thats OK.. ( Go figure )

    So far with shipping its looking like about..

    2.4L Crank/Rods/Piston set = 900 USD shipped

    2.4L Stripped block ( NO EFI, NO Oil Pan ( Not that you need it ) ) - 1500 USD

    2.4L Complete with EFI wiring and ECU = 2000 USD

    IF I get ( and its really dependent on how many people step up ) a container.. if anyone wants finds something on ebay Germany they want, I could find room in the container.
    I had to go and look up what you guys were talking about

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZgatoMSuM

  20. #18
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mschinelli3 View Post
    I had to go and look up what you guys were talking about

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZgatoMSuM
    German Built with Opel Drivetrain Isuzu Rodeo
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

  21. #19
    1000 Post Club kwschumm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,839
    Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    Well they will be drained.. AND in pieces. Shipping an engine to the US is a no-no, shipping heads and long blocks.. thats OK.. ( Go figure )

    So far with shipping its looking like about..

    2.4L Crank/Rods/Piston set = 900 USD shipped

    2.4L Stripped block ( NO EFI, NO Oil Pan ( Not that you need it ) ) - 1500 USD

    2.4L Complete with EFI wiring and ECU = 2000 USD

    IF I get ( and its really dependent on how many people step up ) a container.. if anyone wants finds something on ebay Germany they want, I could find room in the container.
    Put me down for a complete 2.4 engine for $2k. Not sure how I'll get it to WA but we can figure it out.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

  22. #20
    Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,280
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwschumm View Post
    Put me down for a complete 2.4 engine for $2k. Not sure how I'll get it to WA but we can figure it out.
    LTL Freight Quotes from LTL Shipping Companies | uShip

    Ill reuse the crate it come on.. or just simply leave it on the crate. It will be in pieces as noted before..
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

    In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. 2.4 CIH Install into Opel GT
      By kummel in forum Engine Swap Forum
      Replies: 60
      Last Post: 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM
    2. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 06-20-2012, 01:00 AM
    3. Ebay Motors using Opel GT in their artwork
      By GoinManta in forum General Discussions
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-07-2010, 04:25 PM
    4. 2.8 opel cih engine
      By erix in forum 6A - Engine Mechanical
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:04 AM
    5. Opel Motors Company Email address ?
      By TonyB in forum General Discussions
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 02-13-2006, 01:19 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •