Volkswagen vr6 swap?
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By G.v.Mainberg

Thread: Volkswagen vr6 swap?

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads

Volkswagen vr6 swap?

Hi, I am knew to this forum so idk if this is the right place to put this but I have been thinking of a few engine swap lately I think from all I have read and researched I will probably go with a 2.3 turbocoupe, but there is one swap that has gained my interest recently even more so than any v8, i4, or rotary and that is a vr6 I've really been wanting to do a rwd manual transmission conversion but I'm not really sure of any input shaft that'll line up, if anybody has any ideas of trannys, rearends, etc of what I should use please let me know thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Your Noble Friend ;-) G.v.Mainberg's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can use all of the VW parts, and make it a FWD Opel...

Just kidding.

Dieter

Real Name
    People call me Dave
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Opel gt kid View Post
    Hi, I am knew to this forum so idk if this is the right place to put this but I have been thinking of a few engine swap lately I think from all I have read and researched I will probably go with a 2.3 turbocoupe, but there is one swap that has gained my interest recently even more so than any v8, i4, or rotary and that is a vr6 I've really been wanting to do a rwd manual transmission conversion but I'm not really sure of any input shaft that'll line up, if anybody has any ideas of trannys, rearends, etc of what I should use please let me know thanks
    One thing to consider, even if you could find the parts for a VR6 conversion, is that you'll be adding more than 75 pounds to the front end of a car that already has 54/46 weight distribution.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's is one guy's solution. VW VR6 mated to W series TOYOTA 5SPD

Not for beginners though, otherwise I see a lot of machining and welding in your future.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for that link rallybob, looks like an interesting setup, oh and I'm not unaccustomed to projects that require some fab work and I am a pipefitter so the welding and fitting parts shouldn't be a problem just finding what parts to use. Also you are right doing an engine swap like this will mess up the weight ratio but I assume that if I go that far to put a different motor in that I will probably put a knew front and rearend in anyway and eventually add stiffeners, rollcage or whatever in the long run so it will be a little off in the long run anyway I'll just have to figure something out in the future, but thanks for the advice, and keep the links coming!! Thanks

ggl
    Real Name
    Goy Larsen
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before doing any more thinking about any engine swaps I would take a good long look at that engine bay and how the original engine fills it up. Now consider this, the Opel CIH engine is a surprisingly compact engine for it's displacement and few modern engines will rival it for size

Now take out your tape measure and measure it's width and height and do the same thing to any other engine you have access to and you'll see why most engine swaps people consider never happen at all and why some many that actually get started never ends up being finished.

By all means, successful engine swaps are very cool and people around here aren't snobs or original freaks so if you're confident that you have the skills to pull it off we'll be rooting for you. Just make sure you understand the amount of work it will take because that engine bay is *tiny*
    "I hate RallyBob"

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ggl View Post
    Before doing any more thinking about any engine swaps I would take a good long look at that engine bay and how the original engine fills it up. Now consider this, the Opel CIH engine is a surprisingly compact engine for it's displacement and few modern engines will rival it for size

Now take out your tape measure and measure it's width and height and do the same thing to any other engine you have access to and you'll see why most engine swaps people consider never happen at all and why some many that actually get started never ends up being finished.

By all means, successful engine swaps are very cool and people around here aren't snobs or original freaks so if you're confident that you have the skills to pull it off we'll be rooting for you. Just make sure you understand the amount of work it will take because that engine bay is *tiny*
    Yup, just looking at that VR6 with Toyota gearbox, I don't see how it would fit into a GT. It's a very tall engine. Plus you'd need to remove the windshield to add oil....lol.
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Darn, it seemed like a good swap with its size and power potential, but ya it isn't the most practical.
    So I think I'm gona go with the 2.3 turbocoupe ive been checking out some of the threads and I've seen people that want to use it but nobody that has actually got it in and has pictures so if you guys know of any links that have details and pictures it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the input!
    And also the I was basically given an entire 85 turbocoupe I believe it's a five speed I was thinking about useing the entire drive train, but again idk of anybody who has successfully done it so if you guys know of any links that would be fantastic!

Opeler
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, new guy here that comes from a watercooled VW background so I was naturally drawn to this thread. There are other valve cover options. There is plastic, aluminum, and even a stamped steel factory option, the latter two could easily have the oil cap location modified. There is also a guy on Facebook with a turbo'd 12v vr6 in his S14 240sx that sells adapter plates to the 350z 6-speed.

I'm picking up a rolling chassis this week and I'm planning on swapping a vw 4 cylinder. I've already purchased a bellhousing from RWD Motorsports to adapt one to a foxbody 5.0 T5. I'll either pick up a 1.8t for an easy 205+ whp or use the semi-built 2.0 8v I have on a stand with a Neuspeed supercharger for around 150+ whp.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Bill
    Downloads
    Uploads

Engine Swaps

Quote Originally Posted by Opel gt kid View Post
    Darn, it seemed like a good swap with its size and power potential, but ya it isn't the most practical.
    So I think I'm gona go with the 2.3 turbocoupe ive been checking out some of the threads and I've seen people that want to use it but nobody that has actually got it in and has pictures so if you guys know of any links that have details and pictures it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the input!
    And also the I was basically given an entire 85 turbocoupe I believe it's a five speed I was thinking about useing the entire drive train, but again idk of anybody who has successfully done it so if you guys know of any links that would be fantastic!
    Check out what has been done successfully before. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. The site has lots of good information. I was looking at a Ecotec 4 but, that was not a good fit. I have settled on the 60 degree Chevy 3.4 V6 with a T5 trans. This has been done successfully by several people and fits nicely

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting too Old

I guess when you get old, you figure out the easiest way to do things. My GT had the original 1.9 dumbed down 1971 low compression engine. I wanted something faster with more horsepower. I chose a 2.4 liter Opel engine and a five speed getrag transmission. What cutting and fabrication did I have the do to get the engine in?................NONE. How many modifications did I have to get the transmission in?.....................NONE (Gil set up the shifter). The question presents itself...does my GT get up and go when I need it?.....YES. Is there more gas pedal left after I have reached the speed of 85?...YES. Do I need to go faster than 90 miles an hour? NO

I guess I am still trying to figure out why anyone would go through that much work to modify the GT body, the transplant engine, and the transmission when this tried and true method is simple, fast, no cutting the body up, the transmission required a modification to get the shifting arm in the right position. I looked at that and decided to pay Gil to make the changes...perfect fit.

This thread started out with someone new wanting an engine to fit in his GT, Others said take measurements, because the engine is too tall for the GT, then it was on to the next engine. For those that work on Opels all the time, they can probably put anything is the engine bay. I am saying that most casual drivers of GT's don't have the expertise to do a major engine swap. I am not putting anyone down for trying, but it usually ends up in the wrecking yard, unusable and complete junk. I know that there have been many different engines put in a GT, but the question I would like to know is why not put a 2.4 Opel engine and a five speed Getrag?

If OpelGTKid is still on the forum, please let the group know how you are doing with the engine swap, and what engine and transmission did you use?

I guess I am getting too old, and crotchety, oh well, at least I am sill alive and kicking.

Bob
    G.v.Mainberg and MikeNotigan like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    I guess when you get old, you figure out the easiest way to do things. My GT had the original 1.9 dumbed down 1971 low compression engine. I wanted something faster with more horsepower. I chose a 2.4 liter Opel engine and a five speed getrag transmission. What cutting and fabrication did I have the do to get the engine in?................NONE. How many modifications did I have to get the transmission in?.....................NONE (Gil set up the shifter). The question presents itself...does my GT get up and go when I need it?.....YES. Is there more gas pedal left after I have reached the speed of 85?...YES. Do I need to go faster than 90 miles an hour? NO

I guess I am still trying to figure out why anyone would go through that much work to modify the GT body, the transplant engine, and the transmission when this tried and true method is simple, fast, no cutting the body up, the transmission required a modification to get the shifting arm in the right position. I looked at that and decided to pay Gil to make the changes...perfect fit.

This thread started out with someone new wanting an engine to fit in his GT, Others said take measurements, because the engine is too tall for the GT, then it was on to the next engine. For those that work on Opels all the time, they can probably put anything is the engine bay. I am saying that most casual drivers of GT's don't have the expertise to do a major engine swap. I am not putting anyone down for trying, but it usually ends up in the wrecking yard, unusable and complete junk. I know that there have been many different engines put in a GT, but the question I would like to know is why not put a 2.4 Opel engine and a five speed Getrag?

If OpelGTKid is still on the forum, please let the group know how you are doing with the engine swap, and what engine and transmission did you use?

I guess I am getting too old, and crotchety, oh well, at least I am sill alive and kicking.

Bob

^^^ What he said^^^ + 1,000

Dieter

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I guess Opel kid isn't on the forum, or at least doesn't come here as often as I do. It would be interesting to know if his GT got a new engine, and what engine he finally put in it. I have a feeling that the GT now occupy's space in a junk yard or a pick and pull.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tealcarver View Post
    Well I guess Opel kid isn't on the forum, or at least doesn't come here as often as I do. It would be interesting to know if his GT got a new engine, and what engine he finally put in it. I have a feeling that the GT now occupy's space in a junk yard or a pick and pull.

Bob
    Just checked his profile and he joined on 2-10-2017 and his last post was 2-15-2017! I guess he didn't like the answers to his question.

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by slracer View Post
    ... I guess he didn't like the answers to his question.

Doug
    That's what you get if you are asking in the forum of the catholic church "Should I take the blonde or the brunette to have extra-marital $ex with?"

Dieter

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always preferred Brunettes
    Craig Roberts

Real Name
    Craig Roberts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    By the way I do have the 2.4 and 5 speed in my Targa... Now I just need to repair or replace the gas tank
    Craig Roberts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by G.v.Mainberg View Post
    That's what you get if you are asking in the forum of the catholic church "Should I take the blonde or the brunette to have extra-marital $ex with?"

Dieter
    Simple, take both. Though I'm not sure the relevance to Opel engine swaps.
    "You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself." -Issac T.

Thread Information