Gordo Goes FI in the GTX - Page 4
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Gordo Goes FI in the GTX

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2.4 engine has water pump pulley integrated with the water pump. It appears to be smaller than 1.9 pulley, probably to clear the timing disc. Would that work for you?
    https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/2769/details
    GoinManta and The Scifi Guy like this.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank both of you for the idea and offer. I have to think on this now...........

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gordon
    have a look here!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    Gordon
    have a look here!
    Hoo-boy those are big! Let me experiment first to see if big letters that size are what I want.........

(I asked Norbert to find me O-P-E-L letters for the nose of my SolstOpel)

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Hoo-boy those are big! Let me experiment first to see if big letters that size are what I want.........

(I asked Norbert to find me O-P-E-L letters for the nose of my SolstOpel)

The size is perfect and you can cut the letter at the overpasses very easy.
    So you can play with distances between the letters.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Correction: I misstated previously. It's my use of an undersized crankshaft pulley that let's me use the oem alternator bracket with an SI style alternator. It's about 1.25" smaller in diameter.

Okay, so today I dealt with pulley issues. I want to keep my engine fan, my use of the oem lower alternator bracket, and I don't want to grind away one side of my water pump pulley or other cockamamie mods so that the water pump pulley doesn't rub against the timing disc. The Motronic pulley has a timing disc with 2 pulleys in front of it and they are all smushed together leaving little room for alignment errors. The inner pulley that sits against the disc lines up with the oem pulley configuration, but the oem water pump pulley overlaps the timing disc and would rub against it unless you grind away some(alot) of the V groove flange that rubs. About 1/4" or more might need to come off. I didn't like that. Also, the V-belt pulleys are the same size as the oem ones and that means that the belt would rub against the lower bracket cushion housing. The solution I'm trying is to use the forward-most crankshaft pulley and shim the water pump and the alternator forward by 10mm or more. This would position the belt in front of the alt bracket cushion housing and if it rubs it a bit, it should only rub against the rubber cushion. Hopefully it won't rub at all.

In these pics I'm showing that I have 1 1/4" of clearance between my fan and the radiator. So I have some room to work with if I shim the water pump pulley farther forward. The pics also show how my v-belt presently clears the alt bracket cushion housing by riding 1/4" above it(I ground down the housing a bit, too). And there's a pic showing the water pump pulley overlapping and rubbing against the timing disc.:

Attachment 386083 Attachment 386085 Attachment 386087 Attachment 386089 Attachment 386091

My Motronic pulley has been altered and I can't use it. The forward-most pulley has been machined off. I'll be using an unmolested double pulley. These pics show my present undersized crankshaft pulley compared next to my altered Motronic pulley:

Attachment 386093 Attachment 386095 Attachment 386097

I have to wait for Charlie to send me an unmolested Motronic pulley before I can see if this all works.

Shimming the water pump is easy, just add 10-12mm worth of shims between the pulley and the water pump bolting flange.

The alternator was going to be a problem because it doesn't have any extra shaft sticking out that would allow me to remove the pulley and add 10-12mm of shimming. But I reached blindly under it to the part that bolts/pivots on the lower bracket and I detected shims. Oh yeah, I remember now, I had to shim it rearwards for belt alignment and to close the gap between it's small "foot" and the larger space between the bracket bushings. Long story short, it took me 3-4 hours to swap that shimming. Here's BEFORE:

Attachment 386099

And here is AFTER

Attachment 386101

That's it for today....

Man it feels GOOD to be working on something fun and new on my GT! It beats the heck out of spending months trying to fix something that I still don't know what the solution is!

Can you send a picture of the front of the single groove pulley you have there where you are comparing your undersized pulley too? I want to see the front. I have an aluminum waterpump pulley with a spacer built in to line up with a second outer groove pulley, and I may have a cast iron piece to work with that single groove pulley with ring on it.
    Check out our Opel restorations at
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pics of pulleys. I have the doubles, but I don’t have the holes machined for the rings, didn’t need them. FirstOpel1981....we’re you able to get a machine shop to price these for less? I was getting for around $100 each, but order 10 at a time
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aaarrgghh! Another complication.......

I put the molested crankshaft single pulley with timing disc on and slipped the belt on without attaching the water pump pulley(I need a longer fan belt), but I've got the belt riding over the water pump extrusion approximately where the 1/2" shim would place the belt. Alternator has been shimmed 1/2" forward also. The alignment looks okay:

Pulleys aligned for the 2nd groove (1).jpg Pulleys aligned for the 2nd groove (2).jpg

Okay, that alignment looks okay. Now let's see if my shimming will allow the fan belt to clear the lower alt bracket bushing enclosure:

3D 1.jpg 3D 2.jpg

Schitt! It's still too darn close and the oscillation of the belt will chew into the bracket bushing for sure and maybe the housing also and chew up the fan belt. Things just got exponentially harder.

An awesome solution would be to get a bolt-on-able pulley the same smaller size as the small crankshaft pulley I've been using and bolt that somehow to the timing disc/pulley. But I think a pulley that size will be too small to bolt to the existing holes in the timing disc/pulley.

Time to take more pictures......
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:55 PM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man, that timing disc is turning out to be a pain in the a.......

Pics of my molested timing disc/pulley and my special small crankshaft pulley:

Crankshaft pulleys (1).jpg Crankshaft pulleys (2).jpg Crankshaft pulleys (3).jpg Crankshaft pulleys (4).jpg

I presume that the 3 hole indentations are the bottoms of the bolt holes that held the 2 extra sheet metal pulleys on. About 3/4" of metal has been machined off.

It might just barely be possible to drill the 3 holes all the way through, slide a shaft through both pulleys to keep them centered, then drill the 3 holes through the small pulley and bolt the small pulley to the timing disc/pulley. The extrusion on the small pulley that slides through the front main seal would need to get machined off in order to bolt the assemblage to the crankshaft.

I'm just going to leave this idea hanging for a while. My brain hurts.......

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, look at this carefully, because I think this would work on yours. This was off an A/C setup I found on a Kadett, wasn't really wanting to sell this though, but this is a simple way to add on a pulley. This fit inside an original steel pulley, and has a pin that acts at the crankshaft key. It fills the void that the pulley leaves for around the crank, they just used a longer bolt. Now the 2.4 takes a different bolt, but concept should be the same. The outer thickness that goes into the crank pulley hole is 1.71 inches. The keyway goes into the pulley slot to prevent it from spinning...pretty neat way to make a double groove pulley with and original pulley.
    www.newvintageauto.com

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, thank you, I'll take that idea under consideration.

I may have a new way to attack this. Charlie has determined that the fan DOES NOT hit the 3rd pulley. It's close and maybe an 1/8" of shimming will give total piece of mind. Okay, that lines up all the pulleys and there's fan clearance. The last remaining booger is the lower alt bracket. The knob or housing of the front alt bracket bushing housing is about 1"-1.125" wide. I think I can easily cut 1/4" off of the front of it, shorten the bushing by 1/4", and shorten(or not) the bolt sleeving by 1/4"(I think the Opel lower alternator pivot bolt is about 1/4" in diameter, but an SI alt uses a 5/16" bolt. I found a brass sleeve at the hardware store that shims the difference, but I think I only used it in the middle where the alt pivots, so I don't think I'll need to shorten it).

Alt bracket mod (3).jpg Alt bracket mod (3) modded.jpg

So, next thing to do is to remove the lower alt bracket and investigate modding it.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:55 PM.

Real Name
    Keith Lundholm
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First off you have the bushings in backwards, now it might not matter because your SI alternator. I would cut off the ear of it and have a machine shop make you some aluminum bushings instead of those rubber ones. I’ve never liked those, and I put solid bushings on all mine. I also install a sleeve in the timing cover to take up the upper bolt slop. I make the upper bracket solid bushings too, now you may just have the curves bracket bolted to it, as it doesn’t matter
    www.newvintageauto.com

Project 1450 supporter... Site Supporter RallyBob's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bob Legere
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve done the GM alternator thing for a long time. Typically I use the OEM aluminum bracket and some custom Delrin bushings.

Note the bushing flange thickness difference which corrects the pulley alignment going from Bosch to GM alternator.
    49A80F50-F474-459E-B839-B8375676830B_1565142504133.jpg
    My Flickr photos.
    C.R.L. 9/22/69 - 12/8/99, J.M.L. 3/3/43 - 6/15/04, D.M.L. 9/19/50 - 6/23/10, E.G. Sauer 2/26/66 - 2/18/10

'70 GT 'Bonnie', '71 Ascona 4-dr turbo - winter beater, '71 Ascona 4-dr 'Turd' - rallycar, '72 Ascona wagon - 'Red', '72 Manta - caged street car, '74 Manta Luxus - factory sunroof, '74 Manta ITB racecar, '75 Manta - racecar

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oha shiny! Bob
    The paint is history correct on the engine.Opel engine grey!
    Bring two horse power more

Norbert

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
    I’ve done the GM alternator thing for a long time.

NOW he tells us.....

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by opelspyder View Post
    First off you have the bushings in backwards, now it might not matter because your SI alternator.
    Yeah, I did put them in backwards, didn't I. I seem to recall doing that on purpose, probably to stabilize the shimming or allow the alt to sit 1/8" farther rearwards.

I love this stuff. Simple mods. This is BIG fun for me!

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love this stuff. Simple mods. This is BIG fun for me!
    With you nothing is ever SIMPLE
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinManta View Post
    With you nothing is ever SIMPLE
    I think you will need more space or room as a Calibra to get all those SIMPLE stuff back over the Pond

Hartmut can sell you a next 24V Opel Senator B Irmscher clone with original Irmscher hot cams.
    Can be a twin from your Senator.So you have room for a lot of Gordos next adventures

I by my self buy a great last Edition Calibra 16V 2.0 Ecotec with Autotrans just in time,better two days ago
    A real first Hand car with arround 50K miles on the odo.Looks like new,inside and outside.Color is black metalic,with dealers option glass roof.Be so happy I get it.I dont must have,but it is nice to have.
    A better invest you can not do at time,the prices will climb up for sure!
    Ha ha ,the Calibra have a historic interesting Story.Wahaha

Norbert
    Last edited by norbertone.gt371; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:31 PM.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Holy Cow Norbert. You stayed so humble and un-modified and not very new for many decades and now you are going wild with GT modifications and now a crazy wild Calibra!

I can't keep up with you!

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's hot this week and I was going to wait until the weekend when really nice weather would arrive, but I was so anxious to try out my new idea I just couldn't wait.

Wow, not too many somewhat radical mods go as smoothly as this one! One hour, start to finish. I wanted to remove the bracket and take it in the basement to do in cool comfort on my workbench, but it would have been a PIA to get the bracket off the engine, so I did it on the car. I removed all the bolts, bushings, and alt and took a picture:

Alt bracket knob reduction mod (1).jpg

I put a nice new cutting wheel on my angle grinder, covered everything with an old t-shirt, and cut about 5/16" off of the lower alt bracket front bushing housing:

Alt bracket knob reduction mod (3).jpg

Then I inserted the bushing with metal tube inside into the housing from the inside and chopped off whatever now stuck out:

Alt bracket knob reduction mod (4).jpg

Then I put everything back together with some redneck shimming of my now too long and not enough threads pivot bolt now inserted from the front, instead of the way I had it before:

Alt bracket knob reduction mod (6).jpg

Woop! Woop! Mission accomplished! Pulleys and belt positioned where they will be when all my parts arrive from Charlie and the fan belt in place and I've now got plenty of clearance on the side of the fan belt and a whopping huge increase in clearance for the bottom of the belt. Yee-ha!

Alt bracket knob reduction mod (8).jpg Alt bracket knob reduction mod (9).jpg

On to the next challenge......

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:21 PM.
    GoinManta likes this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast