Gordo Goes FI in the GTX
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Gordo Goes FI in the GTX

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gordo Goes FI in the GTX

I've purposely been working my way up through the various Opel engines and carbs, with the possible final mod of going FI. My recent troubles with my SSD set up is hastening the possible FI install. On top of that, I have a rebuilt 2.2 with Motronic FI coming to me sometime hopefully this year. It was going to go in my '75 Wagon, but I scrapped that project, so now I'll just have the engine sitting in my basement. I could install the whole engine and FI or I could remove the FI stuff and put it on my present 2.4 that's already in the car. The Motronic was made for the 2.4 and the engine is already in the car, so just swapping over the FI stuff seems the better option. It will have a larger, cut down, 3.0 manifold from a 6cyl, but the computer from a 2.4 Omega and the 2.2 engine will have the cam from a 2.4 Omega.......just like my 2.4 engine already has. I really like that cam. I could go with either engine and be just as happy

I'd like to keep the SSD for another year or two, but I figure that now would be a good time to start laying in the infrastructure for an FI set up. For now, I figure that means running the fuel and return line and an FI pump. My custom aluminum tank already has NPT fittings at the upper front and rear vent locations and at the bottom fuel outlet, so hook up should go fairly easy. I need to figure out the path and attachment of the return line and where to put the stronger FI pump. I saw a nice picture of how Opelspyder ran the lines on a yellow car, don't know if I have those pics anywhere.

So, this is my opening post on this long term project.
    soybean likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Then make nails with heads and install a THM180C Autotrans too.
    I be sure the RAV out of Poland will have ones!You need also the wire harness with sensors and switches!
    Hartmut is search for one here with no results.Only you must buy the whole car if you want one

Go for a touch down now.We want a positiv result from Opel Plant and Crashing Center Collingswood now.
    EFI is not for Wackadoodles Hope your new mixed EFI does work fine
    A lot of other Opeler go the same way in the past.You are not allone then.With your SSD on a 2.5 you was allone
    I hope all the best for ya Joisey Dr. Frankenstein! And GTX means then again "Gordo Thinks Xtreme"!

Haha we will see what come out with my new EPS handmade from the Netherlands!
    I be in front now
    Here are three pictures from a hot homemade EFI looks like sidedrafts.
    The two other Pictures are from a Racer with normal SSD.Maybe P.J. know`s more.He spoke with the owner and he take pictures from the Side Flares and underneath.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    soybean, MICAH1 and The Scifi Guy like this.

Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    I be in front now

soybean likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by norbertone.gt371 View Post
    Then make nails with heads and install a THM180C Autotrans too.
    I be sure the RAV out of Poland will have ones!You need also the wire harness with sensors and switches!
    Hartmut is search for one here with no results.Only you must buy the whole car if you want one

Go for a touch down now.We want a positiv result from Opel Plant and Crashing Center Collingswood now.
    EFI is not for Wackadoodles Hope your new mixed EFI does work fine
    A lot of other Opeler go the same way in the past.You are not allone then.With your SSD on a 2.5 you was allone
    I hope all the best for ya Joisey Dr. Frankenstein! And GTX means then again "Gordo Thinks Xtreme"!

Haha we will see what come out with my new EPS handmade from the Netherlands!
    I be in front now
    Here are three pictures from a hot homemade EFI looks like sidedrafts.
    The two other Pictures are from a Racer with normal SSD.Maybe P.J. know`s more.He spoke with the owner and he take pictures from the Side Flares and underneath.
    Nice pictures again, Norbert. Jarrell
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Bikini Inspector Frozen Tundra GT's Avatar
    Real Name
    James
    Downloads
    Uploads
    long term project? you and your energy could have it done in a day. Ive been plotting it and planning for a long tiume, but I have limited resources and limited $. You have many esteemed colleagues at your becking call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_9sQtIBzu8

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeah. When I'm in project mode it gets my 100% attention until done.

I'm sort of meaning this thread to be an extension of your thread here:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/factor...ions-tips.html

Somewhere in this thread by Opelspyder is probably a lot of the answers and pictures I'm seeking.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/opel-g...book-file.html

Techniques and methods evolve over time and Keith said he uses a variety of methods and placements of lines:

<<< Re: FI fuel lines on a GT

Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy

Hey Keith, do you have any pics you could share of how you route and mount FI fuel lines in a GT? I seem to recall a nice layout on a yellow car you posted.

Thanks,
    Gordo

Keith: Maybe check out the Opel GT Restoration to the Extreme thread. Also I put an AN fitting on the pad near the neck and just make sure the board for the cargo tray clears. I use some flex hose with AN fittings, and then go to the other side. I have one here I will need to do some plumbing on for FI, but want to use hard line on it, or at least aluminum tubing with flare adapters >>>

So, what other infrastructure needs to be added to a GT when installing, in my case, something resembling factory FI?

I guess I'll mount it in the passenger footwell, but my custom dash has a lot of vacant space behind the either side of the dash. There's no oem heater box, for instance, maybe I could mount it to the block off plate I put there. I guess I'll need a giant, almost 2" diameter, hole in the firewall for the wire harness to the computer, like I saw in the Manta I stripped. Once again, the elimination of the oem heater box assembly and install of block off plates(a chromy corner shaped one in the engine compartment) gives me an alternate place to route the wire bundle that other GTer's don't have.

How many power wires do I need to add, for what purposes, and how much amperage load will they need to handle?

Are there any extra gizmos I'll need to attach to the engine compartment? I never got the chance to study all the widgets and hoses and gizmos that were in the '75 Manta and on the engine before Opellane took it a way. As things stand right now, I barely have a clue what any of the FI hoses/wires/gizmos do. I'll be using Motronic, so that means I can use the oxy sensor bung on my stock 2.4 manifold. Those sensors need to be powered, I think, to warm them up and power the sensor. How many amps does that draw?

My aftermarket fuse box has extra unused wires, but I'm not sure that it has extra wires dedicated for FI.

I'm also not sure if my electronic dash will care if my engine is FI. Will the tach signal now come from the computer, instead of the diz? What about oil, temp, etc.? Currently those signals run straight from the device to my dash controller, but with FI they may go to the FI computer first and then different wires would go from the computer to gauges/controller.

I have an electronic tachometer in place of the speedo gear and cable on my tranny, will a signal from there need to go to the computer?

Yup, I gotta lot of research and customizing ahead of me if I go FI.

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 07-16-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

FI fuel lines

Gordo,
    I just pulled my FI 75 Manta into the garage.
    I have a new set of FI O rings that i want to replace.
    I'm not sure just how to remove the injectors.
    I can send some pix if you need them of the engine and the fuel lines.
    Let me know if you have instructions on how to replace the O-rings

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DHdogr View Post
    Gordo,
    I just pulled my FI 75 Manta into the garage.
    I have a new set of FI O rings that i want to replace.
    I'm not sure just how to remove the injectors.
    I can send some pix if you need them of the engine and the fuel lines.
    Let me know if you have instructions on how to replace the O-rings
    I'm not Gordon but I did miss about half my sleep the last couple days....

Replacing the O-rings is easy, mechanically speaking.

Step 1 - Disconnect the battery
    Step 2 - Relieve the fuel pressure in the fuel line
    Step 3 - loosen the hose clamps at the top of the injectors and remove the hoses
    Step 4 - Disconnect the electrical connector from the injectors
    Step 5 - remove the bolt between the injectors
    Step 6 - Remove the injector from the manifold

It's really that easy
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info. I had no clue how to get them out either. How do you bleed off the fuel pressure, short of just loosening the hose and letting it squirt all over? Is there a factory bleed valve somewhere?

I guess I don't need to pre-run hard fuel lines, I could just temporarily route rubber hose instead, right?

Just to get the engine started and running stable. Once the engine is in place I'll have a better idea of where the best path to route a permanent hard fuel line is.

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless the two engines are extremely close in design with respect to cam and compression you may find that you cannot swap the FI over. The difference in engine volume alone could screw you up if the system does not inject enough to handle the difference.
    soybean likes this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

3000 Post Club Site Supporter P.J. Romano's Avatar
    Real Name
    P.J.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your carburetor woes made you pissed off, your FI adventure will make you fume. This is just the beginning of 5000 posts thread. Suggest that you immediately change the title to "I am so pissed off, I want to kill somebody". I will join Norbert in the first row seat.
    Old racers never die. They just go bench racing.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Other than that 1/10 of a liter more displacement and better breathability due to bigger valves, the Motronic should work almost to factory spec if I swap the FI onto my present 2.4/2.5 engine. My 2.2 engine will have the Motronic and the cam from a 2.4 Omega, with a cut down 3.0 manifold. If I swap the FI over to my present 2.4 engine, which also has the Omega cam, I'll save myself an engine drop and the FI system and engine will be even closer to matching each other.

Or I'll just sell the whole rebuilt, big valve, 2.2 with 2.4 Omega cam and FI, and 3.0 manifold. $3000. Any takers?

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Other than that 1/10 of a liter more displacement and better breathability due to bigger valves, the Motronic should work almost to factory spec if I swap the FI onto my present 2.4/2.5 engine. My 2.2 engine will have the Motronic and the cam from a 2.4 Omega, with a cut down 3.0 manifold. If I swap the FI over to my present 2.4 engine, which also has the Omega cam, I'll save myself an engine drop and the FI system and engine will be even closer to matching each other.

Or I'll just sell the whole rebuilt, big valve, 2.2 with 2.4 Omega cam and FI, and 3.0 manifold. $3000. Any takers?

So you start where you closed. Gordo special mixed EFI.Okay hundreds have made it.When it run you be done.
    2.2 never came with motronic from Omega and Frontera.Ever LE-Jetronic with Ignition Modul.
    Take your 2.5 and the Motronic from the Omega and you will be TOP
    But first one step before the other.You have a Top Notch Engine,but let the Tuner work at the SSD.
    Maybe the good longer 2.4 Intake will fit under your Lenk Window hood with Manta B motor mounts.

Wow,you must be a sailor again when you offer a package like this 2.2 painless option.Sound like a GIFT.
    Gordo have a big heart for poor Opeler

Ha ha
    I order two tickets for the first rowe balcony of that Muppet show.Will go with P.J.

Gordon
    Be sure after you cancel all other projects now you come back with new Power for next adventures.
    I be happy you do it just as it is my friend
    I think must sent new brain medicine from Luebeck to Collingswood.So Dr.Frankenstein will feel fine.

Und Now back to your plant work! Plants needs Love!

All the best Norbert
    Last edited by norbertone.gt371; 07-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    soybean and The Scifi Guy like this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

FI fuel pressure

I did the fuel lines last year.
    you can still see where the gas leaked onto the lawn
    I was thinking about replacing the injectors at the same time as the O-rings
    Has anyone used Standard products injectors from Rockauto?

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did the fuel lines last year.
    you can still see where the gas leaked onto the lawn
    I was thinking about replacing the injectors at the same time as the O-rings
    Has anyone used Standard products injectors from Rockauto?
    Oh
    That is a long time for cheap fuel lines. In FI is fuel most under pressure so the Ethanol will be the best poison
    in the Opel system at all.The rubber must made for Ethanol or toss your money out of the window
    soybean and guyopel like this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

CoolFI fuel lines

Yes
    I bought Gates Barricade fuel injection hose.
    This stuff can take 100% ethanol.
    I also buy 90 octane no ethanol fuel.
    soybean likes this.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Downloads
    Uploads

CoolFI O-ring replacement

Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    I'm not Gordon but I did miss about half my sleep the last couple days....

Replacing the O-rings is easy, mechanically speaking.

Step 1 - Disconnect the battery
    Step 2 - Relieve the fuel pressure in the fuel line
    Step 3 - loosen the hose clamps at the top of the injectors and remove the hoses
    Step 4 - Disconnect the electrical connector from the injectors
    Step 5 - remove the bolt between the injectors
    Step 6 - Remove the injector from the manifold

It's really that easy
    OK, because i had not started the engine this year there was no fuel pressure to deal with.
    the fun part was trying to get the old O-rings off.
    They have welded themselves to the metal bracket so some minor persuasion was needed.
    The PIA part was when i put the bolts back in the metal brackets and tried to tighten them down.
    They go into a plastic plate and the threads are toast.
    I found a set of spares in the attic. They were tapped out for 1/4 - 20 Cool beans.
    A trip to the hardware store for some new hardware and we're good.

I'm thinking about rebuilding a 1.9 to 2.0.
    I was thinking FI but Norbert may have me thinking Webers.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thinking about rebuilding a 1.9 to 2.0.
    I was thinking FI but Norbert may have me thinking Webers.
    That can not be
    For my self I wanted FI not ever.But now I get FI shortly.First I wanted only a new better rpm range automatic.
    All the years I drove 1.9 S 90 hp with the Solex original stock.
    We will see what Hartmut delivered

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member...-100-km-h.html

Norbert
    jayhawkjesse33 likes this.

101st Airborne 1/327 Inf Site Supporter MICAH1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Thomas Johnson
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fat Guys In Very Small Cars

Norbert, My Brother .........I thought you might like this. Remember the night in Carlisle? Conversation, OPEL SPEEDSTER.... Hey this guy said as long as you're under six feet..and I am proud to be 5' 11", width may not matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1KgeUdrZc
    Last edited by MICAH1; 07-25-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    soybean and norbertone.gt371 like this.
    Thomas

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MICAH1 View Post
    Norbert, My Brother .........I thought you might like this. Remember the night in Carlisle? Conversation, OPEL SPEEDSTER.... Hey this guy said as long as you're under six feet..and I am proud to be 5' 11", width may not matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1KgeUdrZc
    Thomas
    I feel so good when I read you remember the night in Carlise also.What great memories!
    So you should load up this video to your Phone as a check list. Check> Stretch> Check> Done > Stretch> In
    I want to see your neighbors faces when you start this sporty event early in the morning!

By my self.In was never the problem by me.Out was the desaster.I be much to short for the rocker panels!
    My feet found not the ground without help by friends.
    MICAH1 and The Scifi Guy like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information