Motronic FI on a 2.4 in a GT - Page 12
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Motronic FI on a 2.4 in a GT

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out with the old, in with the new, plus my "engine sled" for transporting and moving engines around on my property/basement.

Out with the old, in with the new (1).jpgOut with the old, in with the new (2).jpgOut with the old, in with the new (3).jpgOut with the old, in with the new (4).jpg

The previous engine, the 4sp auto tranny, and an old block(Clean and painted, Charlie can make a really uncomfortable and heavy footstool out of it!).

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer GoinManta's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Out with the old, in with the new, plus my "engine sled" for transporting and moving engines around on my property/basement.

Out with the old, in with the new (1).jpgOut with the old, in with the new (2).jpgOut with the old, in with the new (3).jpgOut with the old, in with the new (4).jpg

The previous engine, the 4sp auto tranny, and an old block(Clean and painted, Charlie can make a really uncomfortable and heavy footstool out of it!).

Yea.. more autoparts to kick around in my garage..

Goal was to clean out all the parts ;P
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    CURRENT
    '71 Opel Kadett 4 Door 36D (2.0 L w/ EFI & Auto) - "Mary Ann"
    '92 Senator B - "Professor"
    '74 Opel Manta - "Barbara"
    '72 Opel GT - "Red Baron"

In the past owned:
    '04, '05, '06 Pontiac GTO
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS
    ATLAS ( 74 Manta w/ 2.8L LK5 )
    & many many other Opels and a even few GTs

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, maybe I'll just leave the block on the curb for the trash men or the scrappers to take.

Pic of my engine on Charlie's test stand getting broken in and tested before I fetch it this Saturday.

Lady of the Night cactus blooming (1).jpg Lady of the Night cactus blooming (2).jpg Lady of the Night cactus blooming (3).jpg
    dpre likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, maybe I'll just leave the block on the curb for the trash men or the scrappers to take.

Pic of my engine on Charlie's test stand getting broken in and tested before I fetch it this Saturday.

Lady of the Night cactus blooming (1).jpg Lady of the Night cactus blooming (2).jpg Lady of the Night cactus blooming (3).jpg
    That's a funny looking engine and test stand.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OOOOOPPPPSS! I goofed. I'm at work and can't fix the pic. It wasn't a memorable pic.

Aw shucks, due to various issues and scheduling problems, I won't be able to get the engine this weekend, the next weekend is OctopelFest, I've got an event to go to the weekend after that, so no progress to report for the next few weeks.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The modified(?) Manta B motor mounts and some silver painted Motronic injector holders arrived from Norbert:

Modified Manta B Motor Mounts (1).jpg Modified Manta B Motor Mounts (2).jpg Modified Manta B Motor Mounts (3).jpg Motronic Injector Holders painted silver.jpg

As advertised, the mounts are a good 1/2" ~ 12mm shorter. He says that they were modified, but I don't know in what way.

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The modified(?) Manta B motor mounts and some silver painted Motronic injector holders arrived from Norbert:

Modified Manta B Motor Mounts (1).jpg Modified Manta B Motor Mounts (2).jpg Modified Manta B Motor Mounts (3).jpg Motronic Injector Holders painted silver.jpg

As advertised, the mounts are a good 1/2" ~ 12mm shorter. He says that they were modified, but I don't know in what way.

Probably the mounting bolt is different so either tapped to be larger or helicoiled to be smaller. That would be my guess
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

Real Name
    Jeff
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wish I had a set of those mounts when I did my 2.2, it would have been soooo much easier to fit the injection manifold in. Norbert is a good friend!
    GoinManta and The Scifi Guy like this.
    Jeff

'73 GT,5spd,Recaro,EDIS4 2.2 EFI MegaSqrt, Ali Flywhl w/S10 Clutch, Elec Fan, Roller Rockers, Venolia Pistons, 6 Cyl Intake w/ Custom Injection, 15" Wheels,F&R Sway Bars,2" Exhaust,1" Sport Spring,Koni Reds,Wilwood Brks,3:90 Gears & Gripper LSD,Rear Disks,Ali Radiator,Hse of Colors - Kandy Pagan Gold.
    123 WHP @ 6800 RPM

www.markandson.net

www.gpny.com

'64 VW Ghia '09 S35i BMW Z4
    '15 BMW M4 '11 BMW 335ix '04 Ford F150 SVT Lightning

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably dumb question, but why would you need the motor mounts shorter?
    Dan

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Dan
    Therein lies one big reason why putting original Opel FI in a GT is a big deal, why you don't see more GT's with it, and one reason why many put aftermarket FI on their cars with individual throttle bodies at each cylinder and their own custom, lower, air plenum. More so the reason why installing Motronic instead of Jetronic is difficult. If you read back in this thread you'll see that I had to modify the cowling and grind some of the FI manifold off so that it wouldn't hit the cowling. The intake manifolds are too tall to fit under a GT hood. Even the '75 Jetronic manifolds from Manta's are a little too tall and it's better to use the later Jetronic manifolds from 2.2L engines. The 2.2's are a little shorter in height that the 2.0 ones. The manifold for the Motronic system I'm installing is HUGE and is a good 1" or more taller than a 2.0. No way could you fit it under the hood unless heavily modified. Hence, we're using a 2.2 Jetronic manifold on this Motronic system instead of the 2.0 or 2.4 manifolds. If I had these shorter motor mounts from the start, I probably wouldn't have had to mod the cowling and grind the manifold.

Thank goodness I have the help of Charlie and Norbert and all the rest of you to cobble together all the parts and especially the knowledge to pull this off.

And even with all these alternate parts and hard to find knowledge, I still have to do some customizing of my own to make it fit, work, and look car show acceptable. The shorter aftermarket throttle body, the modded Motronic fuel rail(many use the more adaptable Jetronic one), the Edelbrock FI conversion fuel pump, etc., just to name a few.

Add to all that the predicament that this FI conversion came about because I had engine issues that caused me to have to replace my engine.

I was perfectly happy with my single side draft set up. It looked cool and fired right up like an FI car every time and was fast as schitt. But, engine issues beyond my control doomed it. I got 2 really fun years out of it, so I got some of my investment back. Now I'm on to a new adventure with the FI. I needed a new adventure, so it's all good.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are the notches cut into the bottom of the mounts. Those match the original mounts, and how they sit on the crossmember. That may be your mod.

Wes

Real Name
    Charles Goin
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea wish I knew about the shorter mounts, the other two GTs I have done had stock mounts.

One was really tight as it was a 2.0L Intake with a flange to make it fit a 2.4L head so it was even larger than the stock 2.0L one.

That said still less work than Dual Side drafts.
    CURRENT

In the past owned:
    2 Bitters (#491/#439)
    '73 Commodore GS

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay Norbert is back today at home.
    I wrote as I think a lot of nonsens last week.Sorry, the medicine I must take goes verry bad with my
    brain.

Gordon
    Eat a piece of Marzipan and keep calm my friend.
    Here is the picture what was still missing to understand.I sent a PM too.

Norbert
    GoinManta, Commodåren and dpre like this.

Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Gordo, that makes sense now. Think of your new adventure as blazing the trail for others
    Dan

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Dan
    First I must tell.I allways was and be a downdraft fuzzy.
    The 2.2 swap was and is a dream I have since I buy the second GT I owned.
    So my Friend Hartmut make my dream come true.
    Really ,It is a huge different between a carb and a FI GT.
    Please not missunderstand the DSD racers here.DSD are real champs in power.
    You never reach them with a FI.
    But for my self I want to go FI with Automatic for best economie.

@Charlie and all
    The Manta B motor mounts are perfect to match the 2.2 intake to the Opel GT Shell.
    So you need no Hammer for fit the 2.2 intake.
    Hartmut and most 2.4 and 2,2 owners used the 2.2 intake.Okay mine is stock.But a lot Opeler goes
    near the gasket line by grind away material at the intake manifold.

Here are three pictures where Manta B Motor Mounts are used.You see nothing,why? The level fit Perfect.
    Good Job by Hartmut.
    Gordon get the last two sets from Horst in massiv design with closed bottom.The same I used.

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for clearing that up Norbert.

Not shown, the bottoms of the Manta B mounts I received are flat steel, unlike the apparently cast aluminum, hollow-cubicalized, oem mounts. I can't say I've noticed the notch thing, but I guess it would become apparent when I install the mounts.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it possible to use the 2.4l valve cover in the GT, by using the Manta B mounts?

Wes

Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I seem to recall hearing something about the clearance thing in GT's with the boxier 2.2/2.4 valve covers. I don't know what to tell you. The front of a GT valve cover does angle downwards. I guess you would have to somehow try to measure your present clearance with the hood closed and go from there. The 1/2" lowering of the engine will have several effects, maybe more. The fan will end up 1/2" lower in relation to the radiator and oem shroud. The headpipe of the exhaust will drop down 1/2". In my case, this is a plus because my custom headpipe is a little too close to the frame rail. I suppose if you have one of the taller oem 1.9 intake manifolds and you have issues with the air cleaner or cold air intake adapter hitting the hood, these mounts might help fix that.

Real Name
    Wes Thomas
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can work with most of that. I am running a pusher fan, and have no head pipe, for the 2.4 flange yet. I am running Norbert's 2.2 intake. I would love to use the 2.4 cover, because I painted it to match the motor, but I have a few 1.9 covers, that could be refinished.

Wes

Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by krewzer View Post
    I can work with most of that. I am running a pusher fan, and have no head pipe, for the 2.4 flange yet. I am running Norbert's 2.2 intake. I would love to use the 2.4 cover, because I painted it to match the motor, but I have a few 1.9 covers, that could be refinished.

Wes
    Wes
    Both cover will fit.But the 2.4 cover need a special rubber gasket and special bolts with seal rings.
    I use the original GT Cover without any problems.
    I remember Gordons chromie GT cover we must repair in the basement.
    Do you also use the 2.2 ignition box or you go with the much better 2.4 motronic 1.5?

Norbert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary likes this.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread Information