This is a new thread that I'm starting on this subject because I'll be using a different, stock, engine this time. This saga began with this thread:
I then decided to go FI on the modified, checkered past, 2.5 engine I had in this thread:
I decided to start over fresh with a new rebuilt stock 2.4 engine with slightly bigger valves, the subject of this thread. These are 2 "side threads" related to this mod:
So, here we go. We(me and Charlie) will be using the Jetronic manifold from a 2.2L engine, because a 2.4 manifold won't fit under a GT hood without modification. I don't know much about the FI system specifics at this point, but the system will use the Motronic computer with oxy sensor. The Motronic computer is from a 2.4 Omega and my engine will be essentially a stock 2.4 with the Omega cam. I'll be retaining my stock 2.4 manifold, 2.25" exhaust piping, Magnaflow exhaust, no resonator with a split Y pipe and excellent sound tuning exhaust tips. I'll be changing out my excellent 3-row copper radiator for a new OGTS 3-row aluminum one, solely because it's shinier. This car was made for the purpose of enjoying building it and to show and compete in car shows, so appearance is more important than it's performance.
One of the first challenges I wanted to conquer was to be able to retain the use of my 7-blade engine fan, my GM SI-style alternator, and the use of the stock upper and lower alternator brackets. Not an easy thing to do. The fan belt, pulleys, timing wheel, and brackets interfered with each other. The solution was to use a 1/2" spacer to make the water pump fan and pulley extend farther forward by one pulley width, reshim the alternator to be 1/2" farther forward, trimming the lower alt bracket, and reconfiguring it's shock absorbing cushions. I had previously performed a mod to retain the use of the upper alternator bracket by creating an offset bracket for the oem bracket, so that the alt fan doesn't hit the bracket. This process was documented in the "Gordo Goes FI in the GTX" thread above. No final pics to show yet, but here's some pics showing the reconfigured set up that should work on the finished engine project:
Lower alternator bracket shim change (1).jpg Lower alternator bracket shim change (2).jpg Alt bracket knob reduction mod (8).jpg Alt bracket knob reduction mod (9).jpg Pulleys aligned for the 2nd groove (1).jpg Pulleys aligned for the 2nd groove (2).jpg Alt Bracket Mod - Stand off final version (1).jpg Alt Bracket Mod - Top bracket stand off (3).jpg Pulley belt and fan clearances.jpg