Show us how you pump
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By tealcarver
  • 1 Post By soybean
  • 2 Post By dpre
  • 3 Post By Knorm65
  • 1 Post By dpre
  • 3 Post By tealcarver

Thread: Show us how you pump

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads

Show us how you pump

Well my fuel pump is dead. I cleaned out the fuel lines and still nothing. The pump still hums but no gas.

I was looking at a

Carter P60430 In-Line Electric Fuel Pump

Was going to look for somewhere near the tank to install it. Current pump is near the firewall. How do folks run the power? from the engine bay back to the pump along the undercarriage or through the cabin? 6V power or 12V?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, you could put a Korean War era Carter pump in and many people like their simplicity of mounting and wiring, which enables them to carry a spare pump in their car and fairly easily replace the pump on the side of the road.

Personally, I've never had a low pressure pump fail on me, so I can't speak about pump longevity. All I can say is that Posi-Flow diaphragm-style pumps make an annoying clicking sound. Carter's make a slightly less annoying buzzing sound. And the red Edelbrock pumps I now prefer have the least amount of annoying noise.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by pfj View Post
    Well my fuel pump is dead. I cleaned out the fuel lines and still nothing. The pump still hums but no gas.

I was looking at a

Carter P60430 In-Line Electric Fuel Pump

Was going to look for somewhere near the tank to install it. Current pump is near the firewall. How do folks run the power? from the engine bay back to the pump along the undercarriage or through the cabin? 6V power or 12V?

Thanks
    I moved your thread to the "Fuel Pumps" Forum.

After 100 posts and 8 months, it might be time to do a search before you start a new thread. At the top of each Forum section, there are often highly relevant threads "stuck" there for members to read, saving the trouble of even searching. The top two in this Forum are both about electric fuel pumps.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is what I did, may not be the "right"way to do it, but I have never had any problems. I put a fuel line rubber hose about 10 inches in length, and connected it to the gas tank. Then on the other end, I figured where the fuel pump should be and put the necessary bolts to hold it in place. Connected the remainder of the hose forward, then to the passengers side to connect to the carb. The wiring only requires an ignition 12 volt circuit. This runs between from the fuse box to an inertia switch, The other wire is the ground and is connected to one of the bolts holding the fuel pump in place. The 12 volt hot ignition wire is run through an inertia switch, so if you ever get in an accident the fuel pump will be shut off, lessening the chance of a fire. Think of the inertia switch as the lead 12 volt ignition wire. So the ignition wire connects to the inertia switch and the second pole on the inertia switch goes to the fuel pump.

Hope that helps.

Bob
    soybean likes this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have a picture of how you bolted the pump up? I am concerned about bolting through in the area near the tank outlet. I don't want to puncture anything important like the tank.

I was thinking about a bonded on standoff like we use in aerospace to attach the P clamp to. Right now it is just hung from the 1st fuel line hanger that is welded to the body.

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have a picture of how you bolted the pump up? I am concerned about bolting through in the area near the tank outlet. I don't want to puncture anything important like the tank.

I was thinking about a bonded on standoff like we use in aerospace to attach the P clamp to. Right now it is just hung from the 1st fuel line hanger that is welded to the body.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dgBpYIx1Ok This is how to mount it. HTH. Jarrell
    Knorm65 likes this.
    You lose your dreams, you lose your mind. (The Rolling Stones)

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Jarrell that was a good video. Do you know who the person was that created that video? Was that a member of this forum? He did a good job.
    Dan
    tealcarver and Knorm65 like this.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dpre View Post
    Thanks Jarrell that was a good video. Do you know who the person was that created that video? Was that a member of this forum? He did a good job.
    Dan
    It was me thanks!
    soybean, tealcarver and okieopel like this.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    It was me thanks!
    Plus he has several more on youtube.com, check them out. Kyler Norman. Jarrell

pfj
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, how much space is between the metal where the vertical screw is installed and the tank? My worry is that the fastener goes up and into the tank.

Patrick

Real Name
    W Jarrell Young
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, how much space is between the metal where the vertical screw is installed and the tank? My worry is that the fastener goes up and into the tank.

Patrick
    To be honest, I don't really know. If you watch the video, you can see how Kyler mounted his. I did the same thing to mine about 2003 and never had a problem. There is enough space, trust us, don't use some long self tapping screw, just the one that came with the kit. If you haven't had to pull the fuel tank consider yourself lucky. That is a whole other story and not very fun. Jarrell

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Kyler and Jarrell. I should have known it was Kyler.
    Dan
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget the inertia switch. You may never need it, but if a fire starts in you car, an inertia switch stops the fuel pump from running and making a bad situation worse. I was burned over 17% of my body, mostly on my legs. I was out of work for 12 weeks recovering from the burns. You cannot imagine the pain involved. So I have become a believer of inertia switches, I also changed my burning tumbleweeds, I use diesel now, gas is just too unpredictable. If you have an electric fuel pump, you also need and inertia switch. Please don't get burned in an accident that you had no control over.

Bob.

Bob
    soybean, ubernoob51 and The Cub like this.
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Thread Information