Gas drip from tank, gas fumes in cockpit..help
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Gas drip from tank, gas fumes in cockpit..help

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

gas fumes in cockpit..help

I am a new memeber.My brother picked up my "new "70 gt for
    me and is it driving to me.

He noticed a small drip at the gas tank area this am.I assume it is from the vent area.

He is not real mechanically experienced..but can do some things.

I am looking for some mechanical help as I do not know who can fix an opel on a sunday.

I found the repair schematic on the vents...his location is in route from southern utah to denver on his way to kc mo.

I dont know the risk of fire.

appreciate any advise.
    Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,no oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.Thank you's to Bruce Butler and Gabe Sanchez

Driven twice to Carlisle 2,351 miles RT successfully, broke down on first trip

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I moved this posting to the "Fuel System" heading. Have a look around here, as vent lines and such are a common issue.

But if you actually have a leak, I would doubt that it is the vent system, since the vent lines are well above the level of the gasoline. They cause gas fumes into the interior, but don't actually drip.

I would suspect that the steel fuel line that comes out the bottom of the tank is corroded. It is shrouded by a rubber "boot" that is supposed to protect it, but the boot fills up with mud and actually promotes rust on the outside of the line. This can be a bit tricky to repair, as the fittings are up inside the under-body. I fixed mine while I had the gas tank out, and could get at the brass fittings. The fittings get seized into the tank, and I found I had to heat them (NOT with a torch, to avoid ignition, but with a heat gun) and soak them in penetrant to get them loose. Which is pretty hard to do from under the car, but it is possible. Just make sure that you have a new fitting (the tank connection is a female connection, 12mm by 1.5) and some way to connect to a new piece of tubing. I found an oil pressure gauge adaptor at an automotive store, that was 12mm/1.5 by 1/8 inch NPT, that I then connected a standard copper tube to with a 1/8 inch compression fitting. And no more steel tubing to corrode.

Just after the steel line curves to the horizontal, it connects to a nylon line that runs up to the fuel pump. Make sure that the rubber hose that connects the short piece of steel line to the nylon line hasn't just perished or the clamp come loose.

As another thought, if the steel line has rusted through, your brother might be able to push a rubber hose up around it and clamp it near the top and then over the nylon line, thereby covering the holes until you can fix it properly. But tell him when he disconnects the hose that the tank had better be empty, or it soon will be!

HTH
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good reply as always Kwilford.

My '72 developed a leak in the exact area discribed and it is a tight fit to get a socket into the access hole. The leak start as I was pulling the rubber hanger for the resonator back on after painting. For anyone not fully restoring - this may be one of the MUST DO projects for our GT's. The proximity of the fuel line to that hot resonator is a little scary to me. I would recommend at least inspecting under the boot for corrosion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

follow up

the problem was not in fuel line or vents or hoses.

the tank had a hole in it. I took it to a shop and the tank pulled and they welded a 3 in patch. No reason for the hole..the tank is just old. I recently replaced my fuel filter and there is a moderate amount of rust debris in the filter.
    Celeste: 1917cc ,Getrag ,Big valves,ported,ISKY cam on solids,Opel forged rods,9.52 compression,total seal gapless,oil dam,RB gasket mod., DCOE side drafts,sprint,pertronix,SACHS clutch,OGTS & Kadette sway bars,no oil leaks. Big brakes. Avatars Photos Carlisle 2010 by Jennie V.Thank you's to Bruce Butler and Gabe Sanchez

70's Opeler, back 4 more!
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bucky,

I know there has been a large amount of time since this thread started and your recent answer, but did you just recently get your tank welded or was that some time ago.

For all located in or around Kansas City, Orr Radiator repair does a great job acid washing and epoxy coating fuel tanks. I got their name from a friend that restores VW's. They are located just South of KU med center. Let me know if you need more information.

Cost for a fuel tank carried in was $125.00.

Had mine done because it was corroding really bad.
    Two left turns don't make a right,
    but three do!

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

welding tank

my welding was done when I first got the car.I wanted to finalize the post and remind people of the possibilities. who would of thought that even tho my gas was leaking from the exit pipe at tank..that the source of the leak was almost a foot away...no rhyme or reason..just old. I wish I would have pulled the tank myself and had it coated..but I was a newbie at the time and had not been initiated by this web site.I guess its ok with a patch.

Ps:did you see we have a new member to our KC OPel club? welcome to "KCOPEL"..at the current growth rate the Unofficial KC opel club will soon be the biggest opel club in the world .

we are averaging 1 new member a month.I think we are up to 6 now...and have only been going 6 months.wow!

70's Opeler, back 4 more!
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You may want to think about coating your tank this winter when you might have some time. It could head off some problems in the future.
    Two left turns don't make a right,
    but three do!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Darn, I swear I'm getting to believe I'm a Public Relations person for these folks: Check out www.por15.com. They have a fuel tank sealing kit for cars and motorcycles. Car kit is $49.95 plus shipping and $27.00 for the bikes. If this stuff is like their products I've already purchased and used, the results are fantastic.

Ron

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

undiscovered hole

my gas fumes have come from more than one source.
    here is one i found tonight..i am puzzled how it "got chewed up"..
    anyway ..i fixed it tonight by replacing it with new rubber fuel line.

the lines seem real solid in the engine bay area
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I concur with Keith and the others who posted this suggestion.

Pull the rear tire deck out and give the gas tank exhaust lines a good inspection I am pretty sure you will find old brittle lines that have fractured or completely broken apart.
    This is the major cause of gas fumes in the cockpit.
    If you want we have the diagrams and instructions on how to do this repair available via snail mail.

Opels Forever jim

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

gas vents in engine bay.

my vent lines all been replaced in the gas tank area by the prior owner..plus they were inspected when my gas tank was pulled and welded this summer. they are new.

but: i dont think the ones in the engine bay have been replaced...
    they are a thick hard plastic...do these need to be replaced too?

Real Name
    jim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Whoever did the vent lines may have done them inncorrectly, especially the "T" 's if the top one by the fuel filler neck is in wrong it will cause fumes to seep into the cockpit. Also the way the hoses are connected could be wrong.

Real Name
    Dean
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Gas drip from tank, gas fumes in cockpit..help

Quote Originally Posted by kwilford
    It is shrouded by a rubber "boot" that is supposed to protect it, but the boot fills up with mud and actually promotes rust on the outside of the line.
    HTH
    keith,after working on and off on my fuel smells and exhaust smell this past opelyear,i am pleased to announce that my car is smelling great( in addition to running good in this excellent fall weather).

it is my opinion that the lack of a rubber boot on my new gas line was the last piece of the my hole plugging puzzle.I caulked it in,plus a smaller grommett hole where my 12v power wires enter the tail lights,plus i did some firewall/tunnell insulation..and now for the last two days..no exhaust smell when my drivers window is cracked and the passengers is up.this is great.

keith: if the rubber boot is missing on the gas tank by the resonator , can exhaust gas enter the cabin via that route?
    Last edited by tekenaar; 07-02-2008 at 02:04 AM.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Gas drip from tank, gas fumes in cockpit..help

Quote Originally Posted by opeldean
    keith: if the rubber boot is missing on the gas tank by the resonator , can exhaust gas enter the cabin via that route?
    Sure. And the reverse light wire grommet repair is a good idea as well. Congratulations!
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Thread Information