Interesting developments at the ole Opel ranch - Page 2
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Interesting developments at the ole Opel ranch

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gee, California doesn't seem to be the paradise that I always imagined it to be.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    July 6th we had a 400 fire start 1 mile away from our house and got within 1/4 mile, if it wasn’t for the Albertsons shopping center our house or the GT wouldn’t have survived. I was at work watching the news as my family fled to safety as they evacuated the town. I never paid attention to how quickly houses go up in flames until it was in our own backyard. I Hope and pray you and your house stay safe. We’ve been getting ‘em in SD county every 7 years or so lately. The hazards of living in California I guess.
    soybean and The Scifi Guy like this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post
    Gee, California doesn't seem to be the paradise that I always imagined it to be.......

You thought it was a paradise?
    I'm here in Sacramento and it was a hazy day. Not too bad considering how it was a few days ago, I hear.

Went a little out of town and coming back you could see a sharp ridge of smoke. It looked like a storm coming in but it was smoke that was trapped in the valley.

A Sligh breeze seems to be scouring out some of the smoke so tomorrow might be a clear day.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—
    Humans are not an endangered species!
    ̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶— ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶ ̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶ ̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—̶̶̶̶̶̶̶—

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    You thought it was a paradise?
    I'm here in Sacramento and it was a hazy day. Not too bad considering how it was a few days ago, I hear.

Went a little out of town and coming back you could see a sharp ridge of smoke. It looked like a storm coming in but it was smoke that was trapped in the valley.

A slight breeze seems to be scouring out some of the smoke so tomorrow might be a clear day.
    Winds shifted to the east today, which produced the first blue sky I'd seen in about a week. Of course, that sent the temperatures back over 100°F and humidity down to 16%.

Driving back from Davis today I could finally see that smoke from the fires near Clear Lake. Pretty impressive. It looked like a massive thunderstorm at the source with the wind smearing it in an eastward direction.

I'm probably pretty safe here. Orchards have very little brush of grass on the ground and are well-watered. The hay fields nearby have been cut so most of that burnable material is gone. I've got a pretty good patch of bare ground around most of the house.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Crazy winds yesterday, but no fires here, north of me, maybe 75-100 miles, however... one town has been wiped out and Chico, a small sized city, is threatened.

Tony's stash of Opels is less than 10 miles from where the fire started.

The here sky is orange, again.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scifi Guy View Post

You have the gift of prophecy! The town of Paradise just burned down.
    The Scifi Guy likes this.

Real Name
    Bob
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one artist friend that lived in Paradise, she got out with her trailer with most of her art work in it, and not much else. She lost her house and everything in it. Some other friends live in Chico, a call this morning to one of them revealed that the fire was not a danger yet where he live. Another artist friend an her husband have his mother in Chico, she got an evacuation notice and one of the sons got her out of there. They own many acres that are planted in Almonds. The sons flooded the almond orchards, as did most of the farmers around Chico. The trees are in the dormant stage and with the flooding of the orchards, the likelihood of fire is diminished. The evacuation of my friends in Chico was lifted at 11:00AM this morning. Can't imagine everything you own going up in smoke. Hope they get the fire out soon.

Bob
    71 Chrome Yellow GT

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm hearing from a lot of racer friends of loved one's homes burned in this fire.

Here's the fire map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...875127631&z=11

Tony's stash of Opels in just outside of Berry Creek.

Mike

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yesterday's winds helped the fire cross Lake Oroville and continue south and little east, to within 3 miles or so of Tony's place near Berry Creek.

Click the link in the previous message of just see the attached photo.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I talked to Gil yesterday. He rattled off names of a number of Opel folks who live in the affected area, figures the cars have been lost, which means...

A better map, shows how close the city of Chico was to being part of this: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/?fbclid=IwA...wFC0qjJM_W7Qq0

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone heard from Chris, Opelwasp, recently ?
    He gives his location as 'between Chico and Sacramento'. Could be close to 'Camp' fire.
    Chris has a GT and a 'police' Manta. He likely has more cars & Opel parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GTRoy; 11-15-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add pics

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRoy View Post
    Has anyone heard from Chris, Opelwasp, recently ?
    He gives his location as 'between Chico and Sacramento'. Could be close to 'Camp' fire.
    Chris has a GT and a 'police' Manta. He likely has more cars & Opel parts.
    I'm pretty sure he lives in Marysville or Yuba City, which are close to but not (yet) on fire.

Everyone here is freaking out about the smoke. Even UC Davis is closed and everyone says we should be wearing masks. I can't imagine the masks people are wearing are at all effective.

No one freaked out during the fires earlier this summer and there was a lot more smoke in my area and areas directly south.

Once upon a time the rice farmers, after harvest, would burn their fields. The smoke was so heavy it could be difficult to see across the street, and you'd come out after work to find your car covered in ash.

Is this, the smoke, really that bad?

Mike

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    Is this, the smoke, really that bad?

Mike
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...s-13385747.php

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It’s bad because of the PM2.5 content. PM 2.5 is 2.5 microns or smaller and the particles go deep into the lung forever. A really good respirator or mask is needed for that. Unfortunately wearing a mask that filters that well does not allow you to breathe well enough for long periods of time. You’ll have mild carbon dioxide poisoning from breathing your own breath all day since not all of the co2 you breathe out will escape the mask in time.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD

Downloads
    Uploads
    The smoke is more dangerous because it's California smoke. Everyone knows everything causes cancer in California.
    slracer and Frozen Tundra GT like this.
    Opel GTs are not GM products
    Humans are not an endangered species!

Real Name
    Gary
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by First opel 1981 View Post
    The smoke is more dangerous because it's California smoke. Everyone knows everything causes cancer in California.
    True. it seems like everything I look at has a "Prop 65" warning on it. There was one lawyer who made a lot of money suing companies for lack of labeling on their products..

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's fire season again already and yes, we have another one. It's about 5 miles north of where last year's fire started, about 15 miles north of me. Winds are high and temperatures over 100F are forecast for the next few days.

I don't see smoke yet so maybe this one has been contained already.

Mike

Real Name
    Tom
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by m610 View Post
    It's fire season again already and yes, we have another one. It's about 5 miles north of where last year's fire started, about 15 miles north of me. Winds are high and temperatures over 100F are forecast for the next few days.

I don't see smoke yet so maybe this one has been contained already.

Mike
    Sad news Mike, after almost every day in the 60’s when we left today it was 90 I took my daughter to the Ocean in the GT where it was in the low 70’s 35 miles away I had no idea we would be returning with the temperature at 100. Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter. We talked about the fires but I had no idea that they’re starting already. It seems a bit early, possibly not for your area, in our neck of the woods August through October is when fire season peeks. You have to keep it in mind if you’re relocating to one of these way overpriced houses, there’s high risk vs. lower risk areas. Sheeshhh...... I sure hope they get yours under control soon and you don’t have another for a good long time. It’s supposed to cool back down later this week but summer is definitely setting in.
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not threatening my area yet. In fact Esparto is the evacuation area/shelter for the folks escaping the fire.

I do see smoke finally, and it's heading mostly south towards San Francisco. Last year's fires really smoked those people out.

Mike
    soybean likes this.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    soybean likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information