Question: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today? - Page 12
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

4,000 Post Club norbertone.gt371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Norbert
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh oh Norbert
    In 2016 you looks much more better

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/attach...7&d=1539481761
    Attached Images Attached Images

Schöne Grüße an alle Flachkadetten!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Knorm65 View Post
    If you haven’t already replaced your master cylinder and brake booster do it now. There is an access port behind the driver headlight bucket that makes it breeze. Without that access port it takes a lot longer to install.
    I got the car as a barn find three years ago. Since then, all new suspension bushings and brakes, from the pedal rubber to the rear drums and everything in between, including new booster & M/C. I know all about that access hole. As I noted, I was admiring the ease with which the headlights open and close -- they did not get that way by themselves! All of it my labor, the exception being new sheet metal in the usual places, and paint.
    Knorm65 likes this.

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I upgraded my driver's seat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dcm013 View Post
    I upgraded my driver's seat.
    Quite an upgrade, Don.
    Are you keeping the passenger side stock?
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can a moderator make this a sticky? This should be at the top of the general discussions section like every other car forum.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Real Name
    Don McLean
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossjr View Post
    Quite an upgrade, Don.
    Are you keeping the passenger side stock?
    Cheers,
    Ron in Indy
    Probably. I have another one but it's kind of a medium brown so it certainly doesn't match. The white one is brighter than the stock interior but it's a much closer match. Besides, I only drive from one seat.

I bought both from a local guy who used to work for Recaro and got them when they closed the facility where he worked. Both are leather and were display models, never installed in a car, so they're brand new. I don't think Recaro ever made a white leather seat for the aftermarket but I can't be sure. The brown one would match the interior in my Manta but I already have a pair of black leather Recaro Style Topline models installed.

I guess I need another Opel with a tan interior. An Ascona wagon would be nice....

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I discovered that in the last two weeks, mice have found the Manta. The moth balls had seemed to work. Maybe they are too old. So off to the barn with some traps and peanut butter. Not good.

Real Name
    Kyler Norman
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I discovered that in the last two weeks, mice have found the Manta. The moth balls had seemed to work. Maybe they are too old. So off to the barn with some traps and peanut butter. Not good.
    My GTs spent several years stored in my barn before I moved to a place with a garage. I’ve had to fight with mice a lot. They did a lot of destruction in my GTs when I didn’t drive for more than a week. I left for a month and came back to find no less than 6 mice living in spare tire area. They ate most of the rear wiring harness and almost caused a fire when I started the car.

Mothballs don’t work it’s a myth. Studies have shown it takes the same amount of naphthalene to make humans avoid somewhere as it does mice. It requires a lot! Mice have been known to incorporate mothballs into their nests in some cases.

Peanut butter and mouse traps have worked for me. I also stuff steel wool in cowl vents.
    "Mira," 1970 Opel GT Working ARA AC, European 2.0L and Midikit
    "Kara," 1972 Opel GT Targa, Welded Doors, Rhinolined, 40 DCOE SSD, Working GM AC

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys need to stop by the animal shelter and pick up a six pack of cats. Put them all inside the car. Let them out one week later. No more mice!

Your Opel might smell like cat piss for a while......

Real Name
    Ken
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Supposedly mint will keep the mice away. After spending $5k to gut and replace most of the interior on my Subaru (tab mostly picked up by HO insurance) I started placing some mint mice-away thingies in our cars (except the Opel which is already gutted). No more mice problems so far, knock on wood. Not sure if they are working, we have been lucky, or the mice are in someone else's garage eating their cars instead.
    Thurston County, WA, effective motto: "Gophers, Gophers Über Alles"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Shake-Away Mouse Repellent -- a packet up front and a packet in the spare tire area. Have not had rodent issues in any of my cars stored in the detached garage. I do have mice in the garage but they have stayed out of the cars. Available almost everywhere -- Big Box, local hardware, etc.

https://www.shake-away.com/Mouse.php?page=Mouse

I posted on another thread this picture of the heater blower out of my GT after I had acquired the car three years ago -- it had sat in a Pennsylvania garage for almost twenty years. The PO had left a bunch of shop rags inside the car and these eventually found their way into various nooks & crannies, including the blower motor. The good news is that the rags served the rodents' purposes so well they did not need to attack the seats for material.

Real Name
    Mike Meier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Unloaded the Tahoe, then the Sport Wagon. It took me a half hour to push it into its spot in the carport. Seems the rear brakes are working well.

Hoosier Opeler Site Supporter rrossjr's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ron
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    I use Shake-Away Mouse Repellent -- a packet up front and a packet in the spare tire area. Have not had rodent issues in any of my cars stored in the detached garage. I do have mice in the garage but they have stayed out of the cars. Available almost everywhere -- Big Box, local hardware, etc.

https://www.shake-away.com/Mouse.php?page=Mouse
    Interesting list of ingredients. Who knew that mice hated bloody mint!
    Active ingredients: Dried Blood (5%), Spearmint Oil (1%), Peppermint Oil (1%), and Rosemary Oil (0.5%). Inactive ingredients: Limestone (90%), Hydrogenated Soybean oil (2.5%), and Crystalline Silica (inert) (less than 0.1%).

Real Name
    Tim
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    The mothballs had worked for 6 years. I couldn't sit for long in the car so they were strong. I checked the car just before OctOpelFest and they were not in the car. I knew they were in the barn having seen one run along the rafters. When I did a brake job on my pickup a few weeks ago, I found a grey furry thing in one of the calipers. They just have been good so I've let them hang out.

So, I deploy the traps. Two hours later I go down and one trap is missing. Go get bucket of water. Go down this morning and another trap is missing. Good thing the bucket was still there. I need more efficient traps.

I need to bring one of our borescopes home and see what the heater box looks like. I'll also try some of your suggestions. The barn is too loose to try to keep them out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I surrendered! Gave up on trying to find a good working edition of a Solex...

Real Name
    Downloads
    Uploads

mice

got traps Sunday pm and tomcat they look like giant cloths pins with teeth set up 4 in the shop an 8 in the Garage using the tomcat bate in 12 hrs I checked and the 4 in the shop had no mice... woo hoo on the other had the 8 in the garage all had dead mice even the one in the GT. so a bag of the repellent in the car and reset all the traps.... will see I think with the cold this will be a daily chore to trap and repel garage till there gone. will see if the repellent around the perimeter works and slows the ones caught in the traps.

Dont want to poison them as that would affect the ones getting taken care of by the Hawks/ fox's and other good critters
    My Collection:
    69 Silver Opel GT (Mystery Targa Car)
    70 Yellow Opel Gt (First car)
    70 Blue /Yellow (Racer)
    71 Orange Opel (Hmm Car)
    72 White Opel Gt (Mostly Stock)
    73 Black Opel Gt (Cabrio)
    Ocker (50th Tour Car)

12 Volvo C30 (Cosmo)
    07 CBR 1000rr (SPEED FIX Machine)
    65 F250 (for parts haulin)
    65 Fastback Stang (Sleeping Till Gt is back on the Road)
    87 & 88 Ysr 50 (street legal pocket bikes)

Real Name
    Eric
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I put in a new ignition switch and "Otto start" relay over the weekend. The hardest part was removing the steering wheel. I managed to bend the arms of the puller the first go at it and then had to grind some bolt heads down to size and use a breaker bar to get it to pop off. Then the small button on the ignition cylinder you have to push in to get the cylinder out of the sleeve wouldn't push in (the key was in the "run" position--I even jiggled it around, used WD-40, and tried to be as gentle as possible). I ended up having to gently tap it in with a small awl before it would release. The switch was black inside and one of the wires was completely burned off--that explains the occasional smoke as it was just resting against the contact and looks like it was arcing to the other contacts. The red wire location on the white connector for the fuse box was also melted a bit. Once I got it all apart, it went back together quickly and easily. Now everything works great!

I also replaced the rubber around the rear quarter pop-out windows and the window grommets.
    rrossjr likes this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m still trying to work out how to convince the wife that theOpel GT should be in the garage and not her car. Also did a trade for my 96 Ford Explorer for a 07 Pontiac G6. Showed the guy and his kid the GT, they were amazed especially when I flipped the head lights.

2000 Post Club
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an Opel??? I'll have to go out in the shop and look! However, the electrical gremlins that grounded me (pun intended) at Bonneville seem to have been wounded (if not vanguished) and my little bike made a (nearly) full pass at El Mirage last weekend. Calculated speed was just over 70 (record is 69) but the clocks did not pickup the number. After discussing that with the rider (I wasn't feeling well and asked a friend to test/ride), we decided that it was probably because he ran out of gas about 100 yards before the time trap! After all the problems we had been having, nobody thought about checking the fuel level! ..

As they say, "Next month ..."
    rrossjr likes this.

OpelGT.com Übermoderator kwilford's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Wilford
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cndjtb View Post
    I’m still trying to work out how to convince the wife that the Opel GT should be in the garage and not her car. Also did a trade for my 96 Ford Explorer for a 07 Pontiac G6. Showed the guy and his kid the GT, they were amazed especially when I flipped the head lights.
    Yea, that should be an easy sale...if you lived in San Diego, rather than Regina. I have been "allowed" to use my wife's side of the garage for up to a few weeks at a time during the winter, IF there was a Chinook blowing (longer during summer months), but Calgary winters got NOTHING on Regina's.
    Keith Wilford
    Finishing up a bare-metal, nut & bolt rotisserie restoration of my '71 Opel GT

Thread Information