Question: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today? - Page 24
OpelGT.com is the premier Opel GT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: What did you do to/with your Opel(s) today?

Real Name
    Randall Stirm
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saturday morning drive with Erratic Amp Gauge!

Howdy All You Opelers,

Just got back from a nice Saturday morning drive in my 71 GT. Planning to bring it (on trailer) to Springfield, Illinois for the Mother Road Festival car show. My one frustration (other than my difficulty getting in and out of my GT with a limited bend left knee) has been a amp gauge wanting to shoot way up in the positive range when revving the engine. During idle, the needle will drop back down toward zero (where it belongs); then go back up pegged in the positive range. While driving, the needle will stay pegged in positive for several miles, then drop back down to zero.
    I'm hoping it is not the alternator (original style 35amp) or regulator (3 or 4 yrs old). Maybe a simple slipping of the fan belt? Oh well, I'll get it sorted out by the end of this month. I love driving my GT on a nice, cooler day. Also, always enjoy the looks from people in the neighborhood when they see a nice Red GT drive by. Will look forward to seeing my Opel friends in Springfield.
    Randy

2. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Downloads
    Uploads
    Slowly getting the '71 GT (with its '69 engine) into shape where I will have some confidence driving it more than walking distance from my driveway. After finally giving up on the Solex a few months ago and going for a new Weber, I was still not fully satisfied with the way it ran and, upon further investigation, determined that I had a vacuum leak. A few of them, as it turned out. When I pulled the manifolds, I found that the exhaust manifold had the forward attachment ear broken off. Further, it turns out that the intake manifold was off of a later model Opel and had a connection for the non-existent EGR valve, a connection that had been closed off with an iron plumbing cap. The rubber cap covering extra port on the vacuum tree, for an automatic transmission modulator valve was old and cracked, as was the cap covering the port on the engine-side of the manifold where the line for the small hose from the valve cover was supposed to attach (that line had been attached to an extra port on the vacuum tree).

Jim in NH supplied me with a veritable collection of manifolds, from which I was able to cobble together a "correct" unit that I put into the car a couple of weeks ago. Many, many thanks Jim! Once together, the car is now running much better. Idles at 800-850, and runs down the street quite smoothly.

I did learn that the easier way to get the down pipe attached to the exhaust manifold is to remove the heat shield that is on the passenger side of the exhaust pipe (giving me a chance to clean it up and paint it) as well as the steel bracket that braces the bell housing to the engine block.

As I was buttoning up the exhaust system. I noticed some fluid dripping out of the passenger-side rear brake drum! Damn [expletive included]! Turned out to be a leaking bearing seal that I should have addressed way back when I did the brakes. Why should I think that the seals might leak just because the car had been sitting for ten years? When I got it apart this week, I found the O-ring seal was about one-third the diameter of the new one. But, one more step completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.

Real Name
    Dan
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Little by little you eventually replace and/or remove and clean every piece on the Opel. Sounds like you are making progress.
    Good luck and keep at it. Our reward is getting to drive it anywhere with confidence.
    Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    OpelGT.com
    Advertisements

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hooked up fuel pump power today.

Just Some Dude in Jersey The Scifi Guy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gördö
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rmstirm View Post
    Howdy All You Opelers,

Just got back from a nice Saturday morning drive in my 71 GT. Planning to bring it (on trailer) to Springfield, Illinois for the Mother Road Festival car show. My one frustration (other than my difficulty getting in and out of my GT with a limited bend left knee) has been a amp gauge wanting to shoot way up in the positive range when revving the engine. During idle, the needle will drop back down toward zero (where it belongs); then go back up pegged in the positive range. While driving, the needle will stay pegged in positive for several miles, then drop back down to zero.
    I'm hoping it is not the alternator (original style 35amp) or regulator (3 or 4 yrs old). Maybe a simple slipping of the fan belt? Oh well, I'll get it sorted out by the end of this month. I love driving my GT on a nice, cooler day. Also, always enjoy the looks from people in the neighborhood when they see a nice Red GT drive by. Will look forward to seeing my Opel friends in Springfield.
    Randy
    Hmmmmm.......this sounds like it might be a weak battery. Some or all alternators don't do much charging at low rpms and don't kick in until 1000-1500rpm, so battery drain or no charging at idle and then a sudden spike at higher rpms as it tries to charge a dying battery. I suggest doing a voltage check of the battery engine off and then another check with the engine running. You should see more voltage at the battery when it's running, if you see less then you may have a problem. The battery voltage engine off should be no less than 12-12.5V and read about 13.5V when the engine is running. Check your wire tightness at the battery/starter/alt/voltage regulator. It could still be your alt or regulator or something else, but your description sounds like what I saw when I had bad batteries.
    Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 5 Days Ago at 05:23 AM.

Opeler
    Real Name
    Jon
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yesterday, Sunday, 9-15-19, I got my '75 Ascona RUNNING again! Three weeks ago, I lost spark. With work taking priority & the majority of my TIME, I can only work on my car on weekends under a shade tree behind my family's Industrial building (no garage).
    It's 5am Monday morning, & I pray the car will start at 7:30 when I leave for work. The 2008 recession forced me from my home with a 3 bay garage to a condo. complex, where I'm only allowed 2 cars... my wife's, & ONE of my 3 daily drivers.

With the help of this board, I was able to NOT have to resort back to points.
    My dilemma & how I ultimately fixed it can be found here: https://www.opelgt.com/forums/1b-ign...odule-bad.html
    Last edited by 75ascona; 5 Days Ago at 05:20 AM. Reason: I felt like it?
    guyopel, The Scifi Guy and dpre like this.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread Information